Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona - La Liga Champions 2008/2009!

• 16-05-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭

Well tonight is the night the mighty Blaugrana finally won the Liga championship. What a season it's been, at times some of the football that was played was mesmerising... Fantastic performance by Pep Guardiola in his debut season at a club that looked like it was full of disinterested superstars. It's amazing to see how the youth products have performed this year, La Masia at the moment has to be producing the worlds best players - Pique, Puyol, Valdes, Busquets, Bojan, Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta...

Credit where credit is due though, the only reason the title was not decided earlier was because of how amazing Real Madrid were for about an 18 game period. They really showed their winning mentality and looked relentless in their pursuit of Barca, cutting a lead that was once 12 points to a mere 4.... Juande did a fantastic job, and it would be a travesty if he lost his job. Infact, if he does get sacked, it's solely because of how good he was, he raised the fans expectations too high, and Madridista's have to admit that he did extraordinary over at the Bernacow...

Also, bit of a little tribute to the best player in the world this season imo.... The magical Leo...

watch in HD.. :)

Lets see if this team can get it's name in the history books by scoring the most goals in La Liga history, having the highest halfway points tally and potentially the highest final points tally of all time (I think it's still possible). Also, Barca are the only team in the top tier of world football that win 100% of the trophies they competed in this year..

VISCA BARCA!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Congrats.

Now go beat United, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Congrats.

Now go beat United, please.

We'll get Titi that CL medal we all know he deserves.. Lets hope this time he doesn't choke though.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Delighted two my fave teams win the league on the same day, Its been one damn good day. Roll on Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well done barca

****ing wasters madrid couldnt even get a draw,bloody lost money after the casillas mistake,I was gutted

but never the less

lets make the CL final one to remember (ie back to back Cl trophy for utd;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Chong wrote: »
    Roll on Rome.

qft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

This also breaks the pattern of the last few years wherein;

If Man U won the Premier League, Real won La Liga
    If Chelsea won the Premier League, Barcelona won La Liga
    If Arsenal won the Premier League, Valencia won La Liga

Pointless, but mildly interesting nonetheless

abelard wrote: »
    This also breaks the pattern of the last few years wherein;

If Man U won the Premier League, Real won La Liga
    If Chelsea won the Premier League, Barcelona won La Liga
    If Arsenal won the Premier League, Valencia won La Liga

Pointless, but mildly interesting nonetheless

Barca also broke the pattern that the team that beats the team that beats Real Madrid win the CL. Also Man Utd broke the pattern of previous years winners getting knocked out in the round of 16. It's been a year of pattern breaking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The final pattern to be broken then is the one were nobody has managed to retain the Champions League trophy yet.

Nooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The final pattern to be broken then is the one were nobody has managed to retain the Champions League trophy yet.

Nooooooooooooo

No barca manager who won the CL has ever played for them.

phew you nearly couldnt take it there :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No barca manager who won the CL has ever played for them.

phew you nearly couldnt take it there :D

Em? Cruyff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eze, you beat Utd in the final & i'll buy you a gift. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »

Has it come to bribery already :pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »

Alan, this MAY come as a shock to you, but it's not actually going to be me lining up against Man Utd in Rome, although I reckon I could be a better bench player than Hleb atm.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Well done Barca, hope they make it a treble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Europe's 3 main leagues all won in the same day, I wonder if that's a first.

If Barca hadn't won the league this year it truly would have been an injustice given the sheer quality of their football, though as you said eze, Madrid's run was a remarkable feat.

Didn't Barca also have their worst ever start to a League campaign this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Worst in 35 years. They lost the opener to Numanicia and then drew 1-1 with Racing at home.

A truly incredible season by anyones accounts. Barca not so much beat their competition, but pretty much gave everyone a thumping along the way, and did it in style.

Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Henry have all been incredible. Pique and Puyol are under rated in the defense and Valdes gets too much unwarranted criticism.

Just one more push now to take the Champions league to round off a most unbelievable season.

And no matter what happens in Rome, hats off to Pep Guardiola. In his first season managing in senior football, he wins the domestic double and has his side in the champions league final. Brilliant.

Advertisement