Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laws passed never enforced!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Instead, I recommend you direct your vitriol to politicians who keep passing laws, particularly 'feel-good' ones, for the PR benefit and without much thought to how either it will be enforced, or how it will actually affect anyone.

NTM

WOW!!1 Thats a bit harsh! Kinda put me off posting if thats the attitude from a Mod.
    Unless you are trolling to wind me up????

vitriol
    Noun
    language expressing bitterness and hatred

Can I have my subscription back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I know it's kinda off-topic but it really annoys me when people say we must follow the law "because its the law".

Sometimes laws are stupid and illogical and go against common sense. If everyone just "accepted" all laws passed then Communism would probably still exist. Like the bloody blasphemy law. It's stupid. In fact it makes me even more tempted to blaspheme...

Little rant over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WOW!!1 Thats a bit harsh! Kinda put me off posting if thats the attitude from a Mod.

1) I am not a mod on this sub-forum.
    2) I wholeheartedly approve of vitriol when directed against the correct people. Just because you are not vitriolic doesn't mean I don't think you should be!

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

People really should be more worried about small dogs because they're all grumpy bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I was in the city center today(Dublin). i was standing on the corner of moore street. I was gobsmacked to see a man with a pit-bull dog standing in front of me and to his left the Garda. The dog had no muzzle on its mouth. The guard was looking at the dog like he was admiring it. i am sure this dog should be muzzled in a public place!!!!! this is just one law made but obviously not enforced. how many more are there? Lights on yer bike? litter laws. What do you think?

Maybe that Garda was scared of the pit-bull.
    Remember, it didn't have a muzzle.

I've been bit by a JRT too!.. So has my older dog.

Just reading through this, most people wouldn't know a Pitbull from anyother Bull breed - sometimes even Bully owner's would be hard pressed to say for sure whats a Pitbull.

My older lad, 99% of people would say he's a Pitbull - but his licence says "mixed breed'', so in law he's a mongrel so laws pertaining to muzzles don't apply to him!.

I'm not sure:
    1998 Control of Dogs Regulations
    The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 identify 10 breeds of dog which are subject to stricter regulations which requires that in a public place the dog should be:

(i) securely muzzled; and
    (ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.
    The following breeds are covered by the 1998 regulations
    (a) American Pitbull Terrier, (b) Bull Mastiff (c) Doberman Pinscher, (d) English Bull Terrier, (e) German Shepherd (Alsatian), (f) Japanese Akita, (g) Japanese Tosa, (h) Rhodesian Ridgeback, (i) Rottweiler, (J) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog) and to every other strain or cross of every breed of every type of dog described above.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Community/AnimalWelfare/Pages/DogControl.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Those laws are f*cking Retarded.

My dog was a collie/springer spaniel. He didn't legally count as a vicious dog, but he was put down because he was vicious and bit a friend of mine.

Another friend of mine has an alsation and a pit bull and they're the friendlist dogs you can meet.

Generalising dogs by breeds doesn't work!!!:mad:

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I think some people here need to realise there's a difference between being bitten by a small dog and a big powerful one. It's not rocket science.

After all, there's a reason why we don't restrain cats, despite the fact that they like to scratch people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Jaywalking is not ilegal in Ireland and never has.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Jaywalking is not often enforced. My mates brother was done for it on the N11. I have seen a garda actively assisting children to jaywalk in the exact same place where he was done for it, bitch should have been done for aiding and abetting! There was a pedestrian flyover right over where she was doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fireworks laws for individual use. Dealers/suppliers have been caught over the years but you never hear of Johnny the Skanger being in court for possessing a banger and throwing it at his elderly neighbour.

Its a funny law alright. The Dublin skylight has been lit up every year since at least the 70's by illegal fireworks at Halloween/New Years and yet the Gardai did nothing about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

gurramok wrote: »
    Fireworks laws for individual use. Dealers/suppliers have been caught over the years but you never hear of Johnny the Skanger being in court for possessing a banger and throwing it at his elderly neighbour.

Its a funny law alright. The Dublin skylight has been lit up every year since at least the 70's by illegal fireworks at Halloween/New Years and yet the Gardai did nothing about it!

I was caught(in the younger days :pac:) with a terrible amount of fireworks..
    Must have had 100 bangers and god knows how many Screamers/Rockets and the likes..

Garda comes up..takes them off me and says "Now head on home and stay out of trouble" and they had off in the Garda car..pretty sure he took them for his own personal use :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its supposed to be a 10k fine for each count of possession of a firework! So, that fine would be 10,000x100 euros!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

[-0-] wrote: »
    Learner drivers driving without a full license driver,
    Yeah, I don't think anyone has got the €1k fine yet!

I know a few people who have been pulled over, but the guards don't really seem to care.

Anyone know anyone who's been caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

gurramok wrote: »
    Its supposed to be a 10k fine for each count of possession of a firework! So, that fine would be 10,000x100 euros!!

:eek::eek:
    Wow...Didn't know that at all. Feel really lucky now :P

Advertisement