Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gay Bar for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

as long as its only women lesbians getting off all over cocktail bar now thats progress yah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ger57

ECOLOGICAL wrote: »
    as long as its only women lesbians getting off all over cocktail bar now thats progress yah:D

Always thought lesbians were all women :rolleyes:,but anyhow i see on paper to-day its opening in what was the pole dancing club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ger57

mfitzy wrote: »
    Part of the Clubhouse then :D ?

:D...i think your getting really carried away now....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hahaha :D

Was also wondering, men.. If you think its "OK" to go to a gaybar even if your straight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Personally? Been in them a couple of times, once I was DJing in the (non gay) club section adjoining the bar and was heading in there periodically cause the queue for pints was smaller... other times either wandered in accidentally or was dragged in by (mostly female) friends 'for the laugh'.

I don't give a rats ass about whether bars are gay or not (half the time you can't tell the difference anyway), and would have no problem drinkin in such a place if I had a good reason to be there. But I don't. I'd say I won't be darkening the door of this place because:

1) I'm not gay.
    2) I have no wish to be branded as such by country bumpkins / hicks or indeed people I know
    3) I don't want to be seen there and have to answer annoying / awkward questions
    4) I don't want to get the **** kicked out of me by glanza driving scobes
    5) None of my friends will be drinking there

i really can't see it working out. 'Normal' bars are finding it hard enough to compete these days.

But yeah, whatever, fire away, best of luck etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Cabaal wrote: »
    But the religious nuts won't picket a gay bar watch and see, if they did any tiny bit of public support they had would die a very quick and painful death as the papers would have a field day and not in a joking manner.

Up until now the papers do storys on the religious nuts outside the strip club but the storys are not taken seriously by anyone, picketing a gay bar would be taken very seriously and rightly so and its not on in anyway

Hi,Cabaal ( the mod).Can you define what religious nuts are?

This picture seems appropriate:

n501420794_662141_4013.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note: Okay, keep to the topic or don't post. This thread is heading towards the padlock very fast.

Back to topic so!

yeah, I can see there being protests regardless of the controversy it will cause, its Kilkenny after all :rolleyes:

But, its a step forward for us, and that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Right lads, few good points and bad points, on this thread, Have to agree it’s a tough time to be opening a new bar, and I know what Kilkenny is like full of boggers and red necks, myself included wouldn’t step foot in a gay bar incase someone saw me or cracked onto me.

But all that changed a month ago, I was out in Waterford and asked a few people what are the popular bars and Dignity was on top of the list so we walked down to John street, and there was a queue to get in their on a Saturday night, the place was jammers, and of all the pubs I was in the atmosphere was excellent. And it looked to me a more of a straight crowd than a gay crowd in there. And for all the single lads more women than fellas in there. I wouldn’t knock the place until you have being in it. Like me you could be proven very wrong.

Best of luck with it lads and if its anything as good as Dignity in Waterford you will give any pub or club in Kilkenny a run for its money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shayne09

Hey Everyone

First off thanks for all your opinions, We know what we are doing but we wont know how to go further without suggestions.
    At the end of the day its 2009 and its time every major town in Ireland should have a gay bar. We are giving it a shot, and thats the main thing we are givin it a go . We are getting loads of phonecalls and emails asking when are we opening so signs are very positive so far. As for the protesters they are more than welcome to do what they want but they better be ready for Charmin and her posse, these queens are able to fight a battle.
    Everyone is more than welcome to the bar, and we promise to have a good night in store for you all . To the above post as you said you were there on a Saturday night, it is mainly " straight" night but thats mainly for the Drag show we put on . Its diffrent entertainment and we have diffrent weekly guests with Charmin all the time. Also Charmin djs till close so that in itself is a novelty
    We are all about putting on a good time for everyone and making the most of your night . Thats what you all want when you go out is to have fun and to enjoy yourslef weather its a gay or straight bar!
    Posters will be going up soon about the weekly lineups but i would tell you all to step in and see for yourself then judge! We are very excited about this and we hope it goes the way Waterford has. As i said before any queries just checkthe website <snip - No Self Pimping>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I wish this new bar the very best of success.:cool: I doubt it will attract any protestors and if it does, it won't reflect very well on Kilkenny.

To som of the posters on this thread - cop yerself on and grow the f*ck up....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shayne; No self pimping on Boards please. Second time I have had to remove a link to your club. Pay for advertising if you wish - sales@boards.ie. Otherwise, cheers for your contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Back to topic so!

yeah, I can see there being protests regardless of the controversy it will cause, its Kilkenny after all :rolleyes:

A smallminded contention that will be proved wrong. There will be no fuss and no protests. Kilkenny is a far more tolerant place than some people would like to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Firstly, FabbyDabby I thoroughly enjoyed the innuendo.

Secondly, best of luck to the gay bar. It's in a good part of town where it shouldn't attract any scum and has a damn good shot at not only catering for the gay community in Kilkenny but offering something different to Kilkenny's night life. I reckon it'll do just fine. However, a gay friend of mine got told he was going to hell off those auld hens before when he asked them what they thought of homosexuality. So I wouldn't be surprised if they start picketing again. All the more so seeing as Tubridy got the Late Late gig and he's probably a bit too exciting for them of a Friday night. We'll see them forming an orderley queue soon enough I reckon.

Once the curse of that premises doesn't blight them, the owners should do just fine.

Lol Tubridy :rolleyes:

Good luck to dignity!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not at all, those aul biddies might be clueless to the real world but not completely stupid at the same time. It would be way too unpopular for them to picket a bar for simply being "gay". We all have gay friends/relations/work colleagues whatever. Ireland is quite liberal in it's own little way!

Threadhead wrote: »
    Firstly, FabbyDabby I thoroughly enjoyed the innuendo..
    So did I :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'm not gay but I've been in Dignity loads of times. Just a nice chilled out atmosphere in there, and no scumbags in sight because they'd be terrified of being seen in there. So all in all its great place for straights and gays alike. Glad to see theyr'e trying to expand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kk-mm-ss

Was in Dignity last night and Friday night and both nights so far have attraacted a good mixed crowd and everybody was having a good time. I hope people in Kilkenny support it and keep it going.

Updates and Kilkenny website is available at www.dignitybar.com

p.s I have nothing to do with the bar or the owners but think its a great addition to Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kk-mm-ss

Was in Dignity last night and Friday night and both nights so far have attraacted a good mixed crowd and everybody was having a good time. I hope people in Kilkenny support it and keep it going.

Updates and Kilkenny website is available at www.dignitybar.com

p.s I have nothing to do with the bar or the owners but think its a great addition to Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was talking to a young one who was up there the other night. She said she wont be going again. Supposed to be fairly small and said she thought it was fairly crap compared to dignity here in Waterford. Was never in the Waterford one meself. Supposed to be a good laugh. Seemingly there is more straight people going in there than gay people. Must pop down sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

went last night wit my partner and few straight friends, have to say it was one of the best nights out in kilkenny I've had for long time, even my straight friends that came said it was great night and would be definitely be going again, it's not a massive pub but has two floors, 10 out of 10 for sat night for us late bar till 2 Fri and sat :D happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Was in last night with two friends and had a great night. Loved the comfy couches, drag show was very entertaining [and I know my drag, shared a flat with a drag queen a few years back], music was fantastic [though all the early 90's stuff made me feel old lol] and the atmosphere was really great. Have already invited friends, both gay and straight, down from Dublin for a weekend in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Just want to say what a weekend it has been. Loving Dignity hope people in Kilkenny will support it. Was such a laugh and had a good mixed crowd of gay and straight.
    They have a website www.dignitybar.com and Kilkenny section will be updated soon.

P.S I aint connected to them in anyway just want to see this place last.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

mousehouse wrote: »
    Just want to say what a weekend it has been. Loving Dignity hope people in Kilkenny will support it. Was such a laugh and had a good mixed crowd of gay and straight.
    They have a website www.dignitybar.com and Kilkenny section will be updated soon.

P.S I aint connected to them in anyway just want to see this place last.
    Yes you are, you liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

I have to say, I actually did go in on Sunday night just to see what it looked like as I used to drink in their now and again when it was the Widow's. But! It was far too small a crowd in their. They won't be able to cater for just a gay crowd and I imagine they will close sooner rather than later. If they took away the gay tag they'd get more of a crowd, most straight men refuse to enter the place. The slush puppy machine was a great idea though!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Why all the fuss about a gay bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I really am not...

I disagree they should take away the gay tag. Kilkenny was the only major town without a gay bar and hopefully it will work out for them.

I agree that depending on when you went in the crowd was smaller than you would expect but the place filled up after 10.30 I am guessing people where at shows or having a drink elsewhere first.

I agree why all the fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Drove by last night, you would'nt really know its a gay bar, why not stick a big Rainbow Flag out side like in San Francisco?

Advertisement