Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

uhoh! roman bednar is a silly boy

• 17-05-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/309928/West-Brom-striker-Roman-Bednar-is-pictured-brazenly-buying-a-pound420-bag-of-COCAINE-and-CANNABIS-from-a-drug-dealer.html
    A PREMIER League soccer star is caught preparing for his club's relegation battle . . . by scoring a £420 bag of COCAINE and CANNABIS from a drug dealer.

West Brom striker Roman Bednar is pictured brazenly buying drugs from a peddler in a Merc outside his home only hours after playing in his side's win against Wigan last weekend.

Just three days later - as the team was in training for today's crunch clash against Liverpool - his fiancée took delivery of MORE drugs as the same men drove up to Bednar's home again.

Last night when we confronted the 26-year-old Czech international with our damning evidence he sneered: "Yeah, so?" and claimed it was for a friend. He added: "It wasn't for me."

But as the seriousness of what he had done sank in, he gulped: "I am f****d."

Our revelations will infuriate West Brom fans praying their bottom-of-the-table team avoid the drop into the Championship. And they will shock football chiefs desperate to keep drugs out of the game.

Astonishingly, £18,000-a-week goal ace Bednar set the first deal up with a text to his dealer around 7pm last Saturday AS HE LEFT the club's Hawthorns ground following his team's 3-1 victory.

Shortly he arrived back at his £500,000 home, a Mercedes SL500 AMG coupé slowly pulled up outside.

Within minutes, the 6ft 3in tall striker - who scored 17 goals in just 22 games last season to fire West Brom into the Premier League - strolled up to the driver's window. He pulled out a wad of notes and leaned in.

The driver, who was accompanied by another man, said it was the correct amount which a source later confirmed was £420 - £400 for FIVE GRAMS of cocaine and an extra £20 for cannabis. That's a party-size amount of cocaine enough for about 70 LINES.

Bednar was given the bag of drugs. He made no attempt to hide the illegal transaction - and he didn't seem in a hurry to dash back to his house to avoid the prying eyes of neighbours.

He even chatted about going away on holiday at the end of the season. The dealer asked whether he would be wanting some more of the "same good one" in the future, pointing at the drugs. Bednar said he would be interested.

Then he sauntered back into his semi-detached home in Sutton Coldfield as his suppliers sped away.

The dealer later told us: "Even we couldn't believe how brazen he was just walking out into the street in daylight. We would expect him to be more discreet. A lot of footballers live in the area and he is well known. We normally charge around £40 a gram of cocaine - but for Roman we charge up to £60, sometimes £80 a gram, because basically he can afford it and doesn't complain."

Then on Tuesday it was the turn of Bednar's dark-haired girlfriend Deniz Askinova to emerge from the house in a quiet surburban road and pick up another stash of drugs.

Following the same pattern as the previous deal, the pushers pulled up in the same car.

Like the soccer star lover she has dated for several years, Deniz - in her mid-20s - greeted the dealers with a friendly smile and produced £360 in a roll of notes. She handed it to the driver through the door in exchange for another bag of drugs.

Bednar is a hero and role model to fans of West Brom, nicknamed The Baggies. He signed from Scottish Premier club Hearts for £2.3 million and played a major part in Albion's promotion while also helping them reach the FA Cup semi finals.

Last night he told our reporter: "I have had three f****** drugs tests, in a year, I was clean. I am clean."

His girlfriend insisted: "Roman is not like that. I understand how someone can believe he bought it for himself. But he didn't."

It is unknown whether Bednar has ever undergone any doping tests. But his purchase from the dealers alone could lead to a lengthy ban. A source told us last night: "What he did is madness.

"He has shamed the game. There is no place for such behaviour. He has let the fans down who pay good money to watch him every week."

Later last night Bednar's agent made frantic calls to try and stop the News of the World from running the story.

Eliot Bantil, of Sport Invest, said: "You and I know the damage this can do the player's career is phenomenal. It will kill it in England. This could cost him seven figures. It is going to cost him pretty much his career."

"I am absolutely shocked that he has been stupid enough to get involved in this. He is completely screwing his life. I don't expect it from a professional footballer. I know how serious this is."

Soccer authorities - along with other sports governing bodies - have introduced new measures to clamp down on the use of illegal drugs. Players have to be available for random testing for one hour every day. In 2003 Rio Ferdinand famously missed a drugs test at Man United's training ground and was banned for eight months. Now footballers who miss three tests in 18 months without good reason may be banned for up to two years.

Cocaine can be detected in urine tests up to three days after being taken - but cases of soccer stars caught using drugs are rare.

One high profile case was former Chelsea star Adrian Mutu who was sacked after he tested positive for cocaine in the 2003-2004 season. Goalkeeper Mark Bosnich was also sacked by Chelsea in 2002 for failing a drugs test and later confessed to being a cocaine addict.

In November 1994, former Arsenal ace Paul Merson put his career on the line when he admitted being a cocaine addict.

The Football Association arranged for a rehabilitation programme and he returned to the Arsenal team in February 1995

Bednar's exposure adds to a week of shame for football with Spurs and England defender Ledley King spending a night in the cells after allegedly assaulting a nightclub doorman.

West Brom refused to comment on Bednar last night until the club has held an internal inquiry.

what a moron

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how dare the man enjoy himself in his own home, he should be out drinking pints and leaving bits of thrown up burger on the side of the road like decent hard working citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how dare the man enjoy himself in his own home, he should be out drinking pints and leaving bits of thrown up burger on the side of the road like decent hard working citizens.

hes entitled to take all the coke he wants, but youd think hed have the sense to send a mate to get it. utter stupidity

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I know coke is a bit of an unknown, but you know it's illegal right? Madness.
    Also he's a pro footballer - but that's one hell of a ban on the way.

Helix wrote: »
    hes entitled to take all the coke he wants,

In the UK nobody is "entitled" to take coke.

mayordenis wrote: »
    In the UK nobody is "entitled" to take coke.

of course they are

youre entitled to break any law around, its free will, we all have it

its just that there will be severe repercussions if youre caught breaking the law. its bednars body and he can put whatever he likes in it, just like you or i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

He's an idiot, but this story to me sums up what a desperate rag the NOTW is, and all tabloid culture along with it.

The amount of effort some slimy journalist must have gone to in getting this story and publishing it the night before the biggest match in WBA's season is frightening, and is the last thing the team needed.

It's not as if this was urgent news that had to be brought to the public's attention, in fact I wouldn't even call it news.

We're going to end up arguing semantics but nope, not entitled.
    Yes free will you can do as you wish, that doesn't give you the right to do, entitled = right.
    I can take you into my house and murder you - I'm not entitled to do that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

how dare he lean in the window of a car!

To be honest it's the news of the world and i'll believe it when he gets done for doping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I know coke is a bit of an unknown, but you know it's illegal right? Madness.
    Also he's a pro footballer - but that's one hell of a ban on the way.

If they test him in the next few days and he's positive yes, otherwise no. Also, worst drug dealer in the world? That's a great way by keeping all your customers happy by legging it off to the press the first chance you get.

If they test him in the next few days and he's positive yes, otherwise no. Also, worst drug dealer in the world? That's a great way by keeping all your customers happy by legging it off to the press the first chance you get.

dunno how much the average junkie will care.

• Advertisement

i strongly doubt the dealer in question supplies the average junkie

Yes, I'm sure this drug dealer always delivers his drugs to the average junkie in his Mercedes SL500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Mayordenis clearly you come from the old skool view on drugs & drug taking, but as mentioned if he doesn't test positive for any illegal substances then its none of WBA or the FAs business. You can't prosecute someone for buying drugs and unless he is caught in possession by the police then he can get his way out of it.

Of course should Cocaine or Cannabis be proscribed for footballers when its the designer drugs the athletes & cyclists take that are the problem?.

I think I've gone about this the wrong way,
    I have major issues with drug taking, in a societal manner,
    However I actually do not think he should lead to athletes having bans etc. 100% agree that performance enhancing drugs are the issue needing to be tackled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Him and Rio would have a great night out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

If he "was buying it for a mate" then thats possession with intent to supply and he could be looking at a jail sentence....

But anyway, whatever about his right to do break any law, hes a professional footballer who is being paid astronomical amounts of money to do what many people would give their right arm to do. He is letting down the club and the fans who ultimately pay his wages. I wonder how people would feel if this was one of the players playing for their club? A night on the beer/whatever that leads to a poor performance on a Saturday could cost a team a championship/cup/European place/relegation and as a professional footballer you are surely duty bound by your contract to take care of yourself.

M5 wrote: »
    If he "was buying it for a mate" then thats possession with intent to supply and he could be looking at a jail sentence....

Intent to supply what? Bags with white stuff in it seen through a photograph? If they even have that.

Intent to supply what? Bags with white stuff in it seen through a photograph? If they even have that.

If it can be proven that it was whats claimed he's looking for he could be looking at time, although the guy in the car may also have a case to answer to so i suppose it may be unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

What a scoop, an average player, in a team bottom of the league is caught buying drugs. Despite the fact he's being drug tested and clean, let's make it a huge story.
    Wonder how much this rag paid the dealers to set him up? NOTW ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Highsider wrote: »
    Him and Rio would have a great night out :pac:

Oh harrrr-dee-harrrrr-harrrr :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

M5 wrote: »
    as a professional footballer you are surely duty bound by your contract to take care of yourself.

legally bound surely? haven't most clubs written in drugs as gross misconduct into the contracts after the whole Mutu legal wrangle? I remember hearing something like that...

legally bound surely? haven't most clubs written in drugs as gross misconduct into the contracts after the whole Mutu legal wrangle? I remember hearing something like that...

Was going to say legally but wasnt sure..... You would imagine so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

If hes tested and it turns out hes positive he should be ****in banned for life. Any footballer whos priviliged and lucky enough to play football in one of the top leagues in the world and potentially throws it all away for drugs is a disgrace and ****in idiot imo.

To be honest anyone who takes cocaine is a ****in idiot but thats another debate. How hard is it not to take it when you know the risk of it ruining your whole career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if it's not performance enhancing it shouldnt be under the mandate of the sport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He'll never play football again. Absolutely shocking carry on.

That_Guy wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Like Mutu. Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Playing for West Brom would probably drive me to drug use too

JPA wrote: »
    Like Mutu. Oh wait...

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Playing for West Brom would probably drive me to drug use too
    Why who do you play for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

if it's not performance enhancing it shouldnt be under the mandate of the sport...

What could cocaine mask the effects of though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

The dealer later told us: "Even we couldn't believe how brazen he was just walking out into the street in daylight. We would expect him to be more discreet. A lot of footballers live in the area and he is well known. We normally charge around £40 a gram of cocaine - but for Roman we charge up to £60, sometimes £80 a gram, because basically he can afford it and doesn't complain."

haha. I love the way they get the dealer to give a sneering quote. brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Bednar was incredibly stupid. However, That journo is just the lowest of the low. Can you imagine the effort he/she put into getting this story into the papers, probably sitting outside Bednar's house for days and stalking him, even going so far as to get quotes from the drug dealer:eek:
    All this so they can get the story printed on what would have been Bednar's biggest game of the season. Total slimeball of a journalist:(

grahamo wrote: »
    Can you imagine the effort he/she put into getting this story into the papers, probably sitting outside Bednar's house for days and stalking him, even going so far as to get quotes from the drug dealer

thats not how it works

the drug dealer wouldve contacted the paper offering the story for x amount of cash, and providing the pics and info

thats not how it works

the drug dealer wouldve contacted the paper offering the story for x amount of cash, and providing the pics and info

Only the dealer would know that. :)

• Advertisement

Only the dealer would know that. :)

well the alternative is that a drug dealer, with lots of drugs in his car invites an investigative reporter to accompany him on a drug deal. neither the dealer nor the journalist would be that stupid

the dealer just saw it as a nice earner, and probably made himself a 5 figure sum for the pictures

well the alternative is that a drug dealer, with lots of drugs in his car invites an investigative reporter to accompany him on a drug deal. neither the dealer nor the journalist would be that stupid

the dealer just saw it as a nice earner, and probably made himself a 5 figure sum for the pictures

Pretty smart thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Whenever I read about this story actually I just imagine that evil journalist from Dream Team, I think his name was Paul Hankin.

Don't be surprised if the entire West Brom team are killed in a coach crash on the last day of the season.

Advertisement