Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon EM 1979

• 17-05-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Had these on my Flickr for ages :o B/W film. (Using my €5 Nikon FM)
    Found it a little off putting using Manual, l'm so used to Auto Focus & did l mention l'm as blind as a bat....:rolleyes:
    All taken in Dublin,
    Government Buildings...Trinity.....Shelbourne Hotel
    Stephens Green.

3407640608_8908e1ca37.jpg3407645836_34ea36e44e.jpg3407944122_16f30f63c2.jpg

.3407530228_7916c5bd0a_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29172058@N07/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I like the first one, and the last. Not bad for a fiver!

At least you have a matchstick light meter, i have a zenit with no meter at all, you need a external one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The last one is very nice. What film are you using? Sure looks grainy, or have you cropped the bike one very tightly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Nice going for a fiver! I bought my FE for 50 euro off ebay...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

really nice stuff... i like alot... what film was used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Thanks for input people, used 36mm film, cheap and cheerful :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

To me they all look quite muddy & lacking in contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's an aesthetic :)
    used 36mm film
    You mean 35mm film ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Is it the Nikon EM like this one, or is it an FM, the wiki says the EM is a girlie camera !! eeek, how sexist :)

21AE626A278941339D6A2F5BB5AA8AF5-500.jpg

It's a 35mm camera, so I guessed that part. I was more interested in the speed/brand/process of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What speed of film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Nice shots Linda. The bike is wonderful as is the band stand in the Green.

Have you scanned these in or what method did you use ?

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It's an aesthetic :)

You mean 35mm film ;)

Sorry typo!

The brand l got from Birminghams ILFORD HP5 plus 400 B/W
    Dropped the roll into 'Photocare Sales Ltd. Abbey st.' they put the film onto disc. (€10) & uploaded onto flickr. :D

Morrisseeee,this is the Camera bought.
    3191182781_432bc77d69.jpg

Thanks again for all your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

Good shots, loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I just got a Nikkormat FTN!

So I am itching to join you guys!

Im just waiting for my lens to arrive.

Did you do anything with these in photoshop? They look very grainy indeed for HP5 at 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Did you do anything with these in photoshop? They look very grainy indeed for HP5 at 400.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually I was thinking they look pretty grainy for 3200 film :-)

Unless thats actually what you were going for i'd have the metering or shutter speeds checked out. That bike pic looks about 3 or 4 stops under exposed.

l went for a grainy look in 2 and the Bandstand to age them more, maybe went too far....:confused: used Picnik to edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

l pearse wrote: »
    l went for a grainy look in 2 and the Bandstand to age them more, maybe went too far....:confused: used Picnik to edit.

I'm going to succumb to a bit of film snobbery here and suggest that you're thinking digitally too much. If I want a grainy look to a shot I'll shoot with grainy film, underexpose, and develop in rodinal or something. I'd rarely consider taking a shot and post-processing it so that it's altered to that degree.

There are a couple of aspects to picking what you're going to shoot/develop with. Sometimes it's necessity, often however you're making a choice about what you want the final result to look like. If you're going to post process for a particular 'look' then you may as well be shooting digital.

. If you're going to post process for a particular 'look' then you may as well be shooting digital.

l agree..Overkill.
    lt was my first roll that l shot on the EM and l treated the result like digital.

l kept the pictures off boards because l didn't really know what l thought of them myself..Now when l go again l'll be more gentle with any editing..lf any @ all!
    The places & objects that l photographed was purpose 'old Dublin' & l'll possibly stick with the same.
    You definitley get a differant feeling when you use an old camera.
    Feels like you have been brought back in time & thats what l was trying to portray in the shots.

Thanks for the advice DaireQuinlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I havent shot film in years but HP5 I know is not this grainy unless underexposed. I'm not sure I agree with the advice to go with graininess in the film/processing, if I was shooting film my approach would be to create the very best negative I could, then scan & modify the image at that stage. That way if you change your mind or want to go for say a Lith film look you know you have a good 'master scan' to work from. This is a personal preference though.

I'd also suggest you take a cut at developing the film yourself. It is easy, cheap, and very satisfying.

Best of luck with it, FoxT

• Advertisement
Advertisement