Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of breeding basset hounds

Options
  • 17-05-2009 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

hi all, my 2 year old pedigree basset will hopefully be having her first and only litter this year and before we send her off im trying to research how much the whole thing will cost us. im not trying to make a profit on the pups i just want to know how much is involved between ikc reg microchipping first injections, vaccinations and any other costs i havent thought about.
    i would appreciate any info from people who have bred there dog before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

hi all, my 2 year old pedigree basset will hopefully be having her first and only litter this year and before we send her off im trying to research how much the whole thing will cost us. im not trying to make a profit on the pups i just want to know how much is involved between ikc reg microchipping first injections, vaccinations and any other costs i havent thought about.
    i would appreciate any info from people who have bred there dog before

Hi, the following figures are off the top of my head but wont be to far off.

You may need to scan the bitch and have her checked by a vet a couple of times before she whelps = €60/€120

Don't rule out the possibility of having a c section, you should ask youre vet how much this would cost.

If she whelps naturally she will need a call-out visit from the vet to check her over and give her an injection of oxytocin to help contract her uterus and push out any residue which could be fatal if not extracted.

I would suggest either making or buying a proper whelping box with pig bars, this will help prevent the bitch lying on the pups and killing them.

microchipping, full vet check and first vac = €60/€100 per pup.

ikc reg =approx €15 per pup.

You will need bedding, heat lamp and misc stuff € 100/€200.

You may also have a sick pup or two so be prepared for vet fees there also.

Stud fee.

Cant think of any thing else, good luck.

Advertisement