Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you are happy you bought

Options
  • 17-05-2009 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

The "Games you regret buying" thread seems interesting so I though a "Games you are happy you bought" might work.

Guideline:
    Stay away from the standard Halo's, Metal gears, Final Fantasys etc.

What random purchases were you happy with?

Happy with:
    Skies of Arcadia (DC and GC)
    Mirrors Edge (I might be on my own here......)
    Zone of the Enders 2 (1 was rubbish though)
    Vandal Hearts (PS1)
    Suikoden 1/2 (PS1)
    Lunar Kinghts (DS. If you can find this and enjoy Zelda LTTP type games grab it. Best I have played in years)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Halo
    Halo2
    Halo3
    Halo Wars
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead

YEAH RIGHT!

CoD4 is the only one that comes to mind right away, I play that online 24/7..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Prey
    Orange Box
    Audiosurf
    Simcity 3000
    Theme Hospital
    Armored Core Masters of Arena
    FF7/8/9/X
    C&C Red Alert
    Link to the Past
    Starfox
    Zone of the Enders 2 (Full Price! Still happy. Even though the copy is now lost or destroyed. Sad day)
    Megaman VI
    Megaman X
    Mechwarrior 2: Mercs and Mechwarrior 4
    Morrowind

But now I have to grief a sadness. A long story short its recently come to my attention many if not all of my PAL console games have been trashed or lost. Someone was packing boxes and clearing stuff out on my behalf and I guess they felt I had no need for video games.

****ing parents. There goes my childhood. Though technically its the 2nd time I've lost reams of stuff like this because of an intercontinental move. Sigh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panzer Dragoon Orta: Bought it on the strenght of it's good reviews. I totally fell in love with the world it created and knew I had to play the previous game panzer dragoon saga. It was the game that made me take the dive into the sega saturn.

Jeanne D'arc: Got okay reviews but I had a feeling it was due to being released the same time as FF Tactics. Don't regret buying it, an excellent strategy RPG with some great characters and soundtrack.

Persona 3: Saw Persona 4 was going for 25 euro so decided to make an impulse buy. Asked if they had P3 and they had one copy left behind the counter so took it as well. It's quickly becoming one of my favourite games ever.

Suikoden 2 and Grandia: Both games received fairly mixed reviews since they came out around the same time as FFVIII. Bought games are so much better than FFVIII.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night: Searched high and low for this game and couldn't find it until I found out one of my relatives worked for Konami and he sent me their last promo copy. It was worth all the effort.

Odin Sphere: Okay reviews again and while I can see it's flaws I really enjoyed it.

Fallout 3: I thought Oblivion was one of the most boring cliche riddled games ever created but for some reason I really wanted to try this game. Currently playing it and loving it.

Gunstar Heroes: I bought it on the strength of Stuart Campbell waffling non-stop about it in Sega Zone. My favourite megadrive game and a game I'm a bit too passionate about at times. Add rocket knight adventures also for the same reasons.

Final Fantasy VII: Got a lend of it off my brothers mate and ended up buying it since he wouldn't hurry up with the last disc. No where near the best JRPG made but it was the game that started my love affair with the genre.

Zone of the Enders 2: As stated already, first game was crap, this one was amazing.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!: More impulse purchase again after hearing people rave about it.

There's probably loads more but those are games I bought on an impulse or surprised me off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

GTA: San Andreas, never played any GTA before it and was pleasently surprised :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Half Life (PC)
    Unreal Tournament (PC)
    Mario 64 (N64)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Sub Terrania (Megadrive)
    Micro Machines (Megadrive)
    Guardian (Amiga CD32)
    Fury Of The Furries (Amiga CD32)
    Sega Rally (Saturn)
    Powerstone (Dreamcast)

Um, yeah I really need to start playing games again :o I have a 360 but I cant be arsed, I think its called getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

GTA III
    GTA Vice City
    GTA San Andreas
    Gran Turisimo 3 A-Spec
    COD WaW
    Saints Row
    Fifa Series
    Colin McRae Dirt
    Smackdown series

Is all i can think of now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

far cry 2

I know a lot of people hated it but I had great fun with it,I loved drivng around the africa :D

Stalker

I loved the randomness of the A.I,there were alot of wtf moments and the mutants were cool.

Company of heros

Saw this by chance in pc gamer magazine,I then read a review of it thought it sounded good,I love how realistic the game is,destructable buildings,cool units and a great campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Call of Duty Modern Warfare
    GTA IV
    Grand Trismo 5 Prologe (considering i got it for 20 quid)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

viewtiful joe
    eternal darkness
    powerstone
    super metroid (i wanted megaman x instead, my brother persuaded me otherwise... wasnt happy at the time. then i played it of course)
    warcraft 3 + expansion... for DotA purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Any game that I bought that wasn't ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

World of Warcraft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Mario 64, Lylat Wars, Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros, Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Morrowind, Black and White...

Can't think of any more at the minute.

Edit: GTA 3 and Vice City. Those games were the shít back in the day, I've probably sank more time into each of them than I have studying my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Quake 4
    Gears Of War 2
    Starship Troopers (RTS version)
    C&C Red Alert 3
    Ace Combat 6
    Oblivion
    The Orange Box
    Shadowrun
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
    Doom 3
    Red Faction
    Battlefield 2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I guess if we're just talking about games I took a chance on, FF7, DQ8, KH nd VC would all have to be up there. ICO too.

Maybe PES2 as wel since it was my first non-Fifa game.

Wow, FF7 praise Retro! Thats exactly the same way I got hooked on it, he wouldn't give me disc 2 so I had to buy it, ended up with way too high a level going into the brilliance that is disc 2.

EDIT: Mechwarrior 3 came with our first PC and I loved that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Hard to say. I will go with the games I bought that turned out to be personal favourites and games I was really surprised with.

Jade Cocoon for the PS1 - I liked mixing the creatures, liked the anime style and the story, shamefully I still have not finished this.

Cold Winter for the PS2 - Probably the best FPS on the PS2 and one of my favourite PS2 games. The action is good, the story is really good and the cut-scenes are some of the best I've come across in videogames, thank you Warren Ellis!

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit for the PS1 - I spotted this when I was in Gamesworld on Middle Abbey Street, it was playing on the demo machine and I really wanted to get it, the idea of not just racing, but racing against the police, was brilliant and I played this game to death. I believe in someway it carried on the legacy of the now defunct Road Rash games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    Wow, FF7 praise Retro! Thats exactly the same way I got hooked on it, he wouldn't give me disc 2 so I had to buy it, ended up with way too high a level going into the brilliance that is disc 2.

:) people think I hate the game but I think it's brilliant just not as good as some people make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Fallout2: bought on a whim for a tenner, boxed original copy back in the day. Blew my mind.

Thief 1: barely ran on my ****e box of a pc but what an amazing, ground breaking game all the same. Picked up an old cheap 2nd hand 3dfx1 4mb just to get it running smooth at the time :pac:

Close Combat 2 and 3: best world war 2 strategy games ever, had most of the realistic features that people ****e on about when speaking about Company of Heroes: Close Combat did it back in 1997.

Diablo 1: played to death multiplay via serial cable with 2 mates back in the day when we were too poor to get nics :D.

Orangebox: Portal and TF2 were well worth it.

Viewtifuljoe: an absolute bastard of a game that I felt proud just have beaten it on easy.

Operation Flashpoint: first game I bought played on the 1st PC I ever built. Love it and hate it and love it all over again while playing it. It really was the 1st hardcore soldier sim. Took tghe pis out of the deltaforce series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

isn't this just a different way of saying "your favourite games of all time"?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

Dragon quest 8, splinter cell 3 (never really enjoyed stealth games nut the co-op in this was some laugh) and the discovery of pes on a relatives whim at christmas (I've never looked back since)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

This thread is more about games you took a chance on buying (by ignoring reviews or knowing nothing about them beforehand).

In my case, Suikoden II is the big one. I knew nothing about this before I bought it, I just wanted a long RPG to play for the summer. And it was brilliant! Most other games, I've known what I was getting into. In fact, I think I follow the industry too closely now, there's little mystery and surprise left in buying games. Maybe I should pick up some random RPG this summer...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    isn't this just a different way of saying "your favourite games of all time"?

no. its games that you are glad you bought that you might not have necessarily.

Sim City on the snes
    Mr Nutz was good too.... but sh1t hard :/ dunno why but i still rate that as one of the hardest games i owned. never finished it :(

uberpixie wrote: »
    Viewtifuljoe: an absolute bastard of a game that I felt proud just have beaten it on easy.

You haven't beaten it if you only played it on easy :P God I wouldn't touch easy mode in that game it just spoils it, you are given way too much health.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence - Almost made three times the amount I paid for it by selling it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Orange Box.
    All the GTA's except IV.
    PES 2008/2009 for the Wii
    Rise of Nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Lost Vikings (SNES)

Civilisation 2 (PC)

FF VII (PSone)

Left 4 Dead (360)

Those are the games I sort of bought on a whim without major research. What crackers they turned out to be.

Civ 2 was dangerously good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

FarCry and F.E.A.R for me were a random purchases. Knew absolutely nothng about them (unusual for me) and just picked them both up one day and have loved playing them ever since
    Also picked up the Hitman boxset (Hitman 2,3 and 4) simply because it was cheap and thought it was a fantastic buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

Deus Ex - Passed over it for years on the budget shelf but when I eventually bought it, it blew me away! Awesome story and great gameplay. Still waiting for the third installment though!

Galactic Civilizations - Another budget shelf gem. Not as mind blowing as Deus Ex was but still kept me absorbed for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Dead Space on the PS3, had to be my favourite game for a long time, good story, gameplay, atmosphere and great in game videos... couldn't ask for more really..!

Played and completed twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Noffles wrote: »
    Dead Space on the PS3, had to be my favourite game for a long time, good story, gameplay, atmosphere and great in game videos... couldn't ask for more really..!

Played and completed twice.

I have to agree with this. I bought it expecting it to be poop due to EA then realised how good of a game it is.

Was a nice surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

COD4,
    Halo 3,
    Fallout 3
    Oblivion,

Advertisement