Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you are happy you bought

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cod4 how could I have forgotton that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GTA (3, San Andreas, Vice City, IV) - All have eaten up large chunks of my life at one time or another. Always good to throw on for some instant gratifcation.

Fallout 3 - Loved the original Fallout series and was looking very forward to this. Kept me entertained for almost 3 months non stop.

Saints Row 2 - I enjoyed the original, but Saints Row 2 was better than I could have expected. Played it until I had finished everything (including the hidden "Julius" mission).

Call Of Duty 4/5 - COD 4 was an absolute masterpiece in FPS gaming. I was weary about WAW, but after buying it and playing through the great campaign, it lived up to the COD name in my eyes.

Fight Night Round 3 - Apart from this game "bricking" my 360 the first 2 times I had it, its still an unbelievably good boxing game. Flash KO's ftw! Bring on round 4.

Oblivion - I'm sure anyone who's played this knows exactly why it is a worthwhile purchase. Over 60 hours+ of engrossing gameplay make it worth every cent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Team Buddies!

I do not regret buying it, despite looking in horror at it before i said 'feck it, i will'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

Folklore and Castle Wolfenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Super Mario
    Super Mario 2
    Super Mario 3
    Kid icarus
    Double dragon 2
    Sonic the hedgehog
    Streets of rage
    Streets of rage 2
    Golden axe
    Street fighter 2
    Mario kart
    Donkey kong country
    Fzero
    Resident evil 1 and 2, CV
    Final Fantas 7
    Final fantasy 8
    Final fantasy 9
    Final fantasy 10
    Grandia
    Star ocean
    Tekken 3
    Soul calibur 2
    Goldeneye
    Banjo Kazooie
    Zelda OOT
    Diablo 2
    Commando's 1,2 and 3
    Delta force 1
    Half life 1 and 2
    TF2
    Metal gear solid
    Metal gear solid 2
    Syphon filter
    All GTA's

Why is my list alot longer than everybody elses? o_O

I'm pretty sure i missed alot too :D

EDIT: i guess the reason mines longer is because i included alot of "standard" games :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Sheep Dog N Wolf on PS1 - Metal Gear Solid Meets Looney Tunes! Mind bendingly good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seeing as I have over 500 games, it'd far easier to just say, there have been few games I have been miserable playing after purchase, the rest were all great.

But particular mention should go to,
    Halo series,
    Fire Warrior,
    BioShock,
    Deus Ex,
    Gran Turismo,
    Road Rash (3DO),
    Need For Speed (3DO),
    Need for Speed 3 (PS1),
    Wipeout 2097,
    Super Mario Allstars,
    Super Mario Galaxy,
    Tekken 3,
    MGS (PS1),
    MGS 4,
    Knights of the Old Republic,
    Star Wars Commando,
    MSR,
    PGR 2,
    Medal Of Honour: Frontline,
    COD 2 (360),
    Resident Evil 4 (GC),
    FZero GX,
    Tetris (GB),
    Tempest 3000,
    Robotron (XBLA),
    Geometry Wars 2,
    Sonic 3.

They're just a few off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd add Metroid Prime. I was looking forward to it so much and I'd kind of got bored of gaming at the time. Despite the hype it was a far better game than I imagined it would be and gave gaming a new lease of life for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not going to post the obvious ones, but the games that i remember taking a chance and loving are below. Not that many come to mind actually.

Homeworld
    Freedom Fighters
    Morrowind (had never heard of it at the time)
    Dead Space
    Final Fantasy VII (rented it from xtra vision before i knew anything about the series)
    Ace Combat 4 (again, knowing nothing about the series and being blown away by it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fallout 3
    Killzone 2
    MGS4
    Fable 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Rag Doll Kung-Fu
    Tekken Dark Ressurection - Despite the constant online beatdowns
    Resistance 2
    Little Big Planet
    Saints Row 2 - For the fun Co-Op times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm happy I bought Thief Gold nearly a decade ago. I've been taking care of it- the CDs are still perfectly unscratched. I got it working almost flawlessly on Vista today (No small feat considering the trouble getting Indeo codecs don't work well with Vista at all), and it's aged well. I intend to play the whole thing through again on expert. It's truly timeless, a textbook example of how to do stealth and sound right. I'd kill for an OST.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Beyond Good and Evil.

'nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The Orange Box,no contest. The value for money is unquestionable in terms of how much game play is on offer. Thankfully valve are continuing to release updates for TF2,take note EA, ubisoft etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭skaterboy

killzone 2
    defo
    my best game:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Psychonauts - great game and thoroughly deserving of Eurogamers GOTY

Beyond Good and Evil - looking forward to Part 2

Skies of Arcadia - One of my fav RPGs of all time. Still waiting for that elusive sequel.

Jet Set Radio - pure style

Sonic Adventure - best 3d Sonic game, not much of a contest though

Soul Calibur - the first game I can recall that out did it's arcade counterpart in every single way

Magic Carpet - one of my first games on PS1, spent hours on it

Halo - never played a FPS before this. Had me hooked from the opening scene. Don't care what anybody says, this game is brilliant.

Valkyria Chronicles - my fav game of this generation so far. Has it all, great graphics, music, gameplay and an engaging storyline.

Oblivion - don't think I've ever spent as much time playing a single game

PSO - my first steps into the world of online gaming. Limited offline experience but online this was mind blowing.

Secret of Monkey Island - the wittiest, funniest game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

:DHave to say the one at the moment is Dead Space :)
    In the middle of playing it on the PS3 and only got it because some lads on boards recommended it as a bargain alert when HMV were selling it for €16.99 :D Anyway another one would have to be Commandos 2 on the PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Little Big Planet... first game I've actually bought for the PS3 (not including PSN exclusive titles) since I usually rent or get loans from friends.

Can see myself ploughing days into the level designer... I actually was thinking this morning, as I tried to sneak 20 minutes in before heading out to work, that getting let go wouldn't be so bad as I'd have loads of time to play Little Big Planet (it's because of thoughts like that that I will never play WoW :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: Spent what seemed like an age searching for this game all those years ago when I first got a pc. Was definitely worth the effort.
    Gran Turismo 3: Just perfection(at the time at least)
    Grandia 2: I'm not a fan of JRPGs, or RPG's in general for that matter. But this and Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive were the exceptions. I was hooked on them from start to finish.
    Freelancer: Similar reason to Grandia 2. Not a big flight sim/space sim guy. Never liked the XWing/Tie Fighter series. But this and Starlancer were fantastic.
    Grim Fandango: Loved it.
    Half-Life: So good HL2 couldn't even surpass it.

I could go on but for my 1st post I think I'll stop before a wall of text smacks people in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Recently, Left 4 Dead and Bionic Commando: Rearmed are the two titles I have felt gave me the most value and fun playing time.

UFC Undisputed: Only got it this morning but can already seeing it giving me hours of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lost Odyssey - "meh, guess I might as well try out a J-RPG"

tman wrote: »
    Lost Odyssey - "meh, guess I might as well try out a J-RPG"

Any good? I've been tempted to pick it up a few times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I adored it anyway. Loveable characters (Jansen!!!), a great soundtrack, 1000 years of dreams (I'll leave you to discover that), and I didn't get bored of it once throughout the 40+ hours it took me to clear it.
    I guess it won't be to everybody's taste though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found Lost Odyssey took it's time to get going but when it hit it's stride it was very enjoyable. I was glad I gave it a chance.

Might be worth my while picking it up for a bit of J-RPG action on the side! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I thought that lost odyssey was a fantastic game. I did find that it dragged a bit towards the end of disc 4 but the dream sequences were one of the nicest additions I've seen in gaming for years. And Jansesn, what a comedian:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

DarkJager wrote: »
    Might be worth my while picking it up for a bit of J-RPG action on the side! :)
    Xtravision have it new for €10! :D

GothPunk wrote: »
    Xtravision have it new for €10! :D

All Xtravisions?? €10 for it would seal the deal :D

Advertisement