Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates running in multiple constituencies

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I know it's completly allowed and nothing to stop it.
    But I would like my local councillor to live in the area. And if they don't live there that's ok as after all many of us can't afford houses where we grew up. Or maybe they work elsewhere, that's all understandable.

But if they are going to run to represent an area it's best they have some sort of connection to it.

I'm not from Dublin and don't have a vote here. Can anyone explain what Ronan Callely is doinhg?
    Candidate for Dublin Central, Candidate for Dublin Mid West, Candidate for Dublin North, Candidate for Dublin North Central, Candidate for Dublin North East, Candidate for Dublin North West, Candidate for Dublin South, Candidate for Dublin South Central, Candidate for Dublin South East, Candidate for Dublin South West, Candidate for Dublin West, Candidate for Dublin City Council
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/listing/candidates/#listC

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? :confused:

This isn't a FF bashing thread and I've no doubt that they are candidates in other parties doing the exact same. It's just the most glaring example I found.

But would you be confident a candidate will be concentrating on your area when they are telling the same thing to voters in ten other wards?
    Or have I got it all wrong and this is normal in Dublin City Councils elections? Doesn't happen in my constituency though that's a rural area so less chance of it as there are fewer wards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As far as I'm aware he's running in the Clontarf Ward only. I'm not familiar with that part of the country, but is it possible the ward crosses into more than one of those constituencies. I would imagine it's a glitch on behalf of HQ given that Dublin City Council has jurisdiction in all of those constituencies. All Dublin City Council candidates have the same glitch.

He's only 19 and was only announced as a candidate in the last few weeks so I imagine there's still a few technical issues raising their head. And just so I'm not accused of not declaring full disclosure he's still at college and is Senator Ivor Callely's son.

**Edit:

On the topic of not being from the area though, James Nix of the Green Party is running in Limerick City North, ran for Limerick West in 2007 and is lives in Meelick, Co. Clare as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ninty9er wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware he's running in the Clontarf Ward only. I'm not familiar with that part of the country, but is it possible the ward crosses into more than one of those constituencies. I would imagine it's a glitch on behalf of HQ given that Dublin City Council has jurisdiction in all of those constituencies. All Dublin City Council candidates have the same glitch.

Aye, Clontarf is where he is based but come on, how does Dublin East possibly cross over to Dublin West or Dublin South?? They are very far apart.

Possibly it's a glitch. Very unprofessional though. Actually I think the Cork candidates have the same glitch, someone would want to sort out the FF website.

Maybe a reason to allow candidates to only run in one area though....

Advertisement