Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Calls to the UK ?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:32am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do UPC offer any form of discounted calls in the evening to the UK? I'm with UTV for telephone now, and get free calls to UK landlines in the evening.

Thinking of switching to UPC for broaband, phone, and tv shortly - but need to do the math on call charges!

Their website seems to say that calls to the uk in the evening and weekends would be 10.04c per minute, plus a 5.92c setup charge. Seems kind of high!

I'm planning to call them tomorrow to see, but if anyone can answer in the meantime it would be a help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

I dont think UPC have anything similar. They just offer standard free loc and nat calls and another cheaper one for free at off peak. Though ask them to make sure.

Though I found a voip service called Blueface which I think im going to use when I do eventually switch over to upc, which i think alot of people use here and they offer great packages for cheaper than upc. Think one was free calls anytime loc, nat and uk for €12.50, thats if you pay yearly. which works out alot cheaper than upc when you add call charges in for uk and peak loc, nat calls.

The setup does require a bit more work than what upc's phone service is like to setup. But the people over at blueface forums are very helpful with any trouble you have.

http://www.blueface.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I also looked into this, but no free calls in the evening to the UK with UPC.

I'm staying where I am for the moment as I have the anytime package too - No call costs to UK and Ireland landlines for up to an hour!

It would be nice to have a broadband connection upward of 20Mb, but then again, do I really need it?

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/476489604.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]476489604.png

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If your phone provider does not have a good deal for calls outside Ireland then Telesavers http://www.telesavers.ie gives you Intl calls for the price of a local call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if the people you want to call have internet access, have a look at www.jajah.com. if you both register your landline numbers with jajah, either of you can log into the website and select the number of the other person and both your home phones will ring and your call is connected when you pick it up.

not sure if the t&c's have changed recently (it's been a while since i used it) but afaik any calls of up to 60 minutes are free between almost any two landline numbers in the EU, the US & Australasia, so assuming you dont overuse it it won't cost you a penny.

they make their money the same way as skype and blueface do, but just from heavy users or from people making mobile calls using their service, rather than the landline to landline calls.

worth checking out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Calls to Northern Ireland are included free in UPC’s freetime and anytime packages, using the 048 prefix. And here I was dialling +44 like a sucker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

kazzer wrote: »
    Calls to Northern Ireland are included free in UPC’s freetime and anytime packages, using the 048 prefix. And here I was dialling +44 like a sucker...

The last time I checked (a few years ago) Eircom charged calls via 004428 as national rate - other Telecoms companies tend not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

kazzer wrote: »

Sorry, Calls to NI from them are charged at international rate.
    Rule of thumb is if its classified as "united kindgom" it uses imperial terms.

England or mainland UK are the terms for the country.
    United Kingdom encompases Northern Ireland and britsh rules monarchy areas i.e Wales and Scotland also.

Also confirmed by their technical support department on a recent call to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

hightower1 wrote: »
    Sorry, Calls to NI from them are charged at international rate.

No they are not. If you use 048 prefix, they are included in you freetime minutes. Maybe they just like me.

hightower1 wrote: »

Also confirmed by their technical support department on a recent call to them.

Technical support??? Ha! ("Try turning off the modem sir, and turning it back on again")

Advertisement