Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London to Dublin

• 17-05-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi I want to travel by road

What will be the best route and how does the farry works .

Do we get better rates if we book in advance .

Can you guys suggest any websites.

I will be travelling in july .

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

topdost wrote: »
    Hi I want to travel by road

What will be the best route and how does the farry works .

Do we get better rates if we book in advance .

Can you guys suggest any websites.

I will be travelling in july .

thanks

Stena. Use the UK site instead of the Irish one as it will be much cheaper.

Closest to London is Fishguard, get the ferry to Rosslare and drive up. Alternative is to head up towards Manchester and then over the top of Wales more of a drive on UK roads, less on Irish. Possibly less driving overall. Good roads for most of both journeys on the UK portions.

See where you are getting the best deal on the ferry and work it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

thanks for that

can you recoment any sites

How far is Rosslare from dublin , how long will it take me .

Also manchester route , how will it be

thanks

thanks for thant

Www.stenaline.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

thanks for that

How far is Rosslare from dublin , how long will it take me .

Also manchester route , how will it be

thanks

Rosslare to Dublin is 145 km, and will take less than 2 hours to drive from the ferry to Dublin. It's mostly dual carriageway, so it's a fairly fast route.

I don't really know about driving times in the UK, but the ferry will leave you right in Dublin city centre.

First of all thanks

But sorry i didnt understood

SO far i understand the best route will be

Drive to Fishguard then jump on farry to Rosslare and then drive about 2 hours in Ireland to get to dublin .

But what i dont understand is how can i get in ferry to dublin .

does that means to drive from london to hollyhead and then to dulin on ferry?

Will that work less drive than Drive to Fishguard then jump on farry to Rosslare and then drive about 2 hours in Ireland to get to dublin

• Advertisement

I want to travel from dublin , we dont want to spend too much we have aout 4 suit cases each of about 25 to 30 kg

we are 2 adults and 1 infant .

what do you guy recomend from London to dublin which will be the best transport

BUS
    TRAIN
    PLAIN

thanks

Also trying to get about driving i.e renting a car , but then cant find a company which will allow us to leave car in dublin if booked from dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

well unless i've missed something there is no train from dublin to london.

I'd say ur best bet would be a bus or rent-a-car and take the ferry. Ryanair would have a field day if you booked with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

There is a train, and it's probably your best bet.
    Do you have to travel together?

Aer Arann from London Luton, I think don't charge for normal baggage.
    You could put the infant and one adult with the maximum baggage on a flight and the other adult on the train with the rest of the baggage, packed as best as is possible. That might help avoid a tediously long train journey with the infant.

Alternatively, buy a car in the UK, drive it to Ireland, VRT it and sell it when you get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dannym08 wrote: »
    well unless i've missed something there is no train from dublin to london.

Train to the ferry i think the op means ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Try Avis for a car or van then get the ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire (Dublin).

http://www.avis.co.uk/Default.aspx

http://www.avis.ie/Default.aspx

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Train to the ferry i think the op means ;)

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/promotions/stenaline/default.aspx

If you want to be petty about the fact that the train brings you directly to the ferry terminus, then that's your prerogative, you're the one who'll look foolish though.

GreenJ - I looked into a one way car rental like that last year, it worked out to be prohibitively expensive, not worth it. I suppose the OP may be lucky with a deal. Forget the idea of bringing the hire car to Dublin though, it'll just be an expense and a hassle. Travel on the ferry as foot passengers and arrange for a friend or a taxi to meet you in Dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

bandraoi wrote: »
    http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/promotions/stenaline/default.aspx

If you want to be petty about the fact that the train brings you directly to the ferry terminus, then that's your prerogative, you're the one who'll look foolish though.

sorry i read it wrong. i thought u meant a direct tran from London city to Dublin City - something like the channel tunnel.

my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

out of the lot, would sugest train, euston to holyhead, depending on time of day may need to change trains though, would not recomend coach, bad enough being cramped in your seat for an adult that amount of time, atleast with the train if baby or you get cranky you can walk about easier, plane, any carrier will have a feild day with that amount of luggage

There are no direct ferry services from London to the address you wish to go to in Dublin.

You are going to have to drive to a ferry port, take a ferry to a port in Ireland and drive some distance at the other side.

First of all thanks

But sorry i didnt understood

SO far i understand the best route will be

Drive to Fishguard then jump on farry to Rosslare and then drive about 2 hours in Ireland to get to dublin .

But what i dont understand is how can i get in ferry to dublin .

does that means to drive from london to hollyhead and then to dulin on ferry?

Will that work less drive than Drive to Fishguard then jump on farry to Rosslare and then drive about 2 hours in Ireland to get to dublin

london - holyhead - dun laoghaire - dublin

long drive to holyhead through england/north wales, last time i done it took about 5 hrs,
    90 minutes on stena fast ferry from holyhead to dun laoghaire,
    about 12km from dun laoghaire to dublin city.

london - holyhead - dublin port - dublin

same drive in the UK
    crusie ferry from holyhead to dublin port, again with stena, about 2 to 3 hrs
    Dublin port, more or less in city depending on final destination/traffic,

london - fishguard - rosslaire - dublin

as previous poster said, shorter drive in UK, M4 to south wales, fishguard in SW wales,
    cruise ferry to rosslaire, few hours maybe, with stena, never done it my self,
    drive to dublin as per previous poster.

http://www.stenaline.com/stena-line/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Aer Arann baggage:
    Checked baggage allowance:15 kgs per passenger on all flights. Excluding London City- Isle of Man flights – 20kg per passenger. The maximum total weight for any one piece of checked baggage is 32kgs (ie. 17kgs/12kgs extra paid for in excess baggage fees).

Infant Baggage weight Allowance - 7kgs.Stroller/ Buggy Allowance - 1 piece per infant booked.

Infant Equipment including but not limited to prams, buggies, cots, and car seats are considered to be inherently unsuitable for carriage by air. It is possible to carry such items to the aircraft and such items will be loaded as checked baggage at that time. Aer Arann is prepared to carry such items on a ‘Limited Release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for loss, damage, or delay) basis.
    Take the train I'd say, although transferring your bags at Holyhead might be a serious asspain - 100kg of bags and a sprog! :eek: Might be worth looking at paying for a friend to travel with you and their fare back to help out.

irish-stew wrote: »
    london - holyhead - dun laoghaire - dublin

long drive to holyhead through england/north wales, last time i done it took about 5 hrs,
    90 minutes on stena fast ferry from holyhead to dun laoghaire,
    about 12km from dun laoghaire to dublin city.

london - holyhead - dublin port - dublin

same drive in the UK
    crusie ferry from holyhead to dublin port, again with stena, about 2 to 3 hrs
    Dublin port, more or less in city depending on final destination/traffic,

london - fishguard - rosslaire - dublin

as previous poster said, shorter drive in UK, M4 to south wales, fishguard in SW wales,
    cruise ferry to rosslaire, few hours maybe, with stena, never done it my self,
    drive to dublin as per previous poster.

http://www.stenaline.com/stena-line/

Thants great help thankyou .

How much the farry cost

If book earlier does it work out cheaper .

what do you recomend

Drive
    Train
    Plain
    Bus

I have about 4 bags of about 25 to 30 Kg each
    2 adults and a infant (2years)

Which will workout best in means of money

Again with the car bit confused as cant find a company where i can pick car in london and drp in dublin .

Got a idea to drop car back in belfast if i can find a company that allow that

thanks anyways

bandraoi wrote: »
    There is a train, and it's probably your best bet.
    Do you have to travel together?

Aer Arann from London Luton, I think don't charge for normal baggage.
    You could put the infant and one adult with the maximum baggage on a flight and the other adult on the train with the rest of the baggage, packed as best as is possible. That might help avoid a tediously long train journey with the infant.

Alternatively, buy a car in the UK, drive it to Ireland, VRT it and sell it when you get here.

Can you tell me their web site . Thanks anyways

dowlingm wrote: »
    Aer Arann baggage:Take the train I'd say, although transferring your bags at Holyhead might be a serious asspain - 100kg of bags and a sprog! :eek: Might be worth looking at paying for a friend to travel with you and their fare back to help out.

First of all thanks

Have you ever travelled or do you know how far is train and ferry , any ideas

thanks

Thanks

Yeah thats a good one as well.

Not bad but where to put baby car seat then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

If you do the ferry, opt for a Sail and Rail Ticket. These combine both train and boat tickets and are a fraction of the normal train prices. Rail fares in the UK can be ridiculously high at times so these will save you a fortune.

yeah i have seen their site just the problem what to do with car afterwards as I will have to then come back to drop the car.

cant find a way out

Thants great help thankyou .

How much the farry cost

If book earlier does it work out cheaper .

what do you recomend

Drive
    Train
    Plain
    Bus

I have about 4 bags of about 25 to 30 Kg each
    2 adults and a infant (2years)

Which will workout best in means of money

Again with the car bit confused as cant find a company where i can pick car in london and drp in dublin .

Got a idea to drop car back in belfast if i can find a company that allow that

thanks anyways

If I were you, I'd do the train. Again, go to Stena's website and look for a Sail-Rail deal.

I have travelled in the other direction and found it to be a really enjoyable journey.

Virgin Pendolino between London and Stoke. Train to Chester from Stoke, Train across North Wales to Holyhead, Ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoighre, DART into Dublin.

Drop the car at Holyhead and carry your stuff onto the ferry.
    Have a taxi meet you at Dublin.

If I were you, I'd do the train. Again, go to Stena's website and look for a Sail-Rail deal.

I have travelled in the other direction and found it to be a really enjoyable journey.

Virgin Pendolino between London and Stoke. Train to Chester from Stoke, Train across North Wales to Holyhead, Ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoighre, DART into Dublin.

there is a direct train from london to holyhead as well run by virgin, leaves euston at 8.50am as per current timetable, gets into holyhead about 50 minutes before the stenaline fast ferry sailing, could be tricky/risky with alot of gear as check in time is 45 minutes, although station is right beside the ferry termini, stenaline also mentions this train connection in their website for current train times to/from london and inbetween, but would recomend taking a look at http://nationalrail.co.uk/ to see the most up todate time tables

taking this chance my self next month

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Right. There's a lot of information on this thread but not all of it is fully current.

First things, driving from London to Dublin does not involve going to Fishguard and Rosslare. Holyhead - Dublin and Holyhead - Dun Laoghaire (in South Dublin) are the ferries to aim for.

Drive M1 - M6 - M56 - A55.

You can use the M6 Toll, it cuts fifteen minutes off the journey and is far less congested than the old M6 through Birmingham.

Follow the M6 to Junction 20 and take the M56 west, following the North Wales signs. After Chester where the M56 becomes a succession of Dual Carriageways with different numbers for ten miles simply follow the road ahead and the road becomes the A55 North Wales Expressway direct to Holyhead.

Allow four and a half hours and do have a stop. M6 Toll services is the best bit in my opinion.

The ferry information given so far is not complete. Stena have cut back the HSS High Speed Ferry to one a day each way, early in the morning only from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire.

Most Stena crossings now are by conventional ferry and go to Dublin Port instead, same as the Irish Ferries crossings.

Go to www.stenaline.co.uk and www.irishferries.com for details.

For train and ship journeys from London to Dublin, you are now forced to use either the conventional ferry by Stena to Dublin Port off the 8.50am ex Euston train or the Irish Ferries crossing. As referred to earlier there is currently no connection off that train to the HSS. There may be an additional crossing in the summer but there isnt one yet.

The very useful Seat61 website tells you everything you need to know about travel by train and ship between Great Britain and Ireland and is fully up to date.

Link here: http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Advertisement