Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting computer to tv

Options
  • 17-05-2009 10:28am

I have an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro graphics card. I want to connect it to my tv. The TV has S-Video and HDMI connections. I connected an S-Video cable from the computer to the TV but there is no signal coming in. Any suggestions as to how I can make it work, (Do i need a different video card or different connectors). All answers will be read gratefully. using Windows XP-Pro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tre4

Are you connecting from a laptop or a desktop?

With most laptops you have to hit Function (the blue key) and something like F8 (it will either have a blue square or CRT/LCD on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

USE fn Key and f Key f5 f7 ,look 4 f Key with square tv logo.
    SEE post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544393
    set res to svideo res,720x576 ,refresh rate 60mhz max.
    See www.svideo.com pc to tv settings.Install powerstrip program,set tv out pal b.
    Perhaps there should be a sticky here connect pc to tv.
    OR google svideo pal tv resolution,too high res gives a blank screen,press av,av,av,av to see svideo signal on tv,av on tv remote.

Oops - missed the bit about your Graphics card so it's a desktop then.

It maybe just a setting on your TV. Somewhere you can configure the Auxiliary connection on your TV to be an S-Video input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

sometimes you have to hit the AV button on your remote twice to get it to see properly

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah you shouldnt have to fiddle on the PC end - the S-Video is an always on/smart switch: when its plugged in, its on.

• Advertisement

I have tried changing pressing AV a few times. It simply changes channels and eventually comes back to s-video. As this is not a laptop there are no FN keys but thanks for the suggestion. There is no option to configure the s-video just choose the channel or not.

A couple of thoughts.
    There does not seem to be an option for the s-video in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre. I wonder if it is even enabled on this card?
    I have two Digital? outputs on the card. One has the converter to vga plugged into it. Is there something I could use to convert the other to HDMI?

he other this is that the ATI Catalyst control centre has an option nfor controlling HDTV. However it only appears to support NTSC.MY TV is a PAL tv of course though I can play NTSC videos and DVD's, but I suspect that is because the dvd and video are multi-region.

As always any thoughts and ideas are very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Then you can get a DVI-HDMI Female converter. Its just a short plug costs around €25 in Maplins but cheaper online.

On the Ati settings look under displays in the Ati cpanel often you have to tell it that you have a tv connected, also if you enable the second adapter interface you will have to tell windows to duplicate the displays or extend the desktop to what it will see as a second monitor.

:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

CCSL wrote: »
    Then you can get a DVI-HDMI Female converter. Its just a short plug costs around €25 in Maplins but cheaper online.

On the Ati settings look under displays in the Ati cpanel often you have to tell it that you have a tv connected, also if you enable the second adapter interface you will have to tell windows to duplicate the displays or extend the desktop to what it will see as a second monitor.

:cool:

On that note this one in 9.50 if you can collect it in Dublin (Blanchardstown). Postal delivery is unfortunately 12.50. There is special offer of free pick up this week, generally you pay to get it shipped to Ireland from their warehouse in Holland and then also pay the postal charges on top of that)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434126

Thanks for the suggestions.

Komplett does not suit me as I cannot get stuff delivered and I live in Kildare so it would not be worth driving to Blanchardstown to collect.
    I work in Dublin on ocassion so I will get a connector from Maplin.
    Will post again when I test it.

I have tried changing pressing AV a few times. It simply changes channels and eventually comes back to s-video. As this is not a laptop there are no FN keys but thanks for the suggestion. There is no option to configure the s-video just choose the channel or not.

Look again in your TV settings before paying €25 for another lead. On my TV I have the option to choose what type the auxhillary connection is i.e RGB or s-video

• Advertisement

No thats ok.
    my tv gives me a choice of cahnnels. I have chosen s-video and it cannot be modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I had to play around with the CCC on my desktop for the 2600Pro to send a signal - I used the DVI-VGA connection, however.

At work right now, but I'll post more info later, if I remember.

I bought a DVI Male to HDMI female, and a HDMI male to male cable. Plugged it all in and it worked first time.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I am happy now.

Advertisement