Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cognitive and social Psychology...

• 17-05-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

...is a bollix.

Anyone have to do it? How are you studying for it? Its got nothing to do with my course, so I shouldn't be doing it in the first place!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Study using the textbooks recommended like you would any other subject (Eysenck & Keane for cognitive and whatever social book was recommended, can never remember the name of it but both should be in the library). Look at the past papers and see what kind of questions come up, should give you an idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

I'm actually studying for my exam in it right now. Or was, until I popped onto here.

What course are you doing where it bears no relevance? Psychology through Science?

There's some engineering course that are taking PS102 too (psychology through science would be relevent because they are doing psychology for their degree).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

John wrote: »
    There's some engineering course that are taking PS102 too (psychology through science would be relevent because they are doing psychology for their degree).

There ya go Buroni.

We rarely write a lot in my course. Mostly draw and present. None of this in-depth stuff.

The cognitive stuff was a bit shiit but when it got to the social part it got more interestin. I liked the parts of what attracted people to each other. And I like the crowd psychology part too. Obedience was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

GAH!!

I hated that module so much last year, failed it too. Go figure. And now I'm in science, way hey!

I think the notes will be enought to pass you though...

• Advertisement

John wrote: »

Aye, but I am uncertain as to how they conduct psychology through science what with being an Arts student, and was semi-assuming that they could be taking it from a purely neuropsychological perspective which would potentially render at least the social aspect somewhat mundane in comparison to say biological studies. I personally don't see how it would be irrelevant, but was just teasing out an answer which could then turn into an interesting discussion of the psychology course. Plus, in certain cases of irritation people can be prone to proclaiming that something is irrelevant simply due to their irritation towards a subject.

[/wall of text]

But engineering? What's their justification for that; to gain an insight into the visual aesthetics of people via understanding their thought processes and social conditioning? Or did they just need to fill module space?

But engineering? What's their justification for that; to gain an insight into the visual aesthetics of people via understanding their thought processes and social conditioning? Or did they just need to fill module space?

Fill module space...

Has there been any clue as to what questions may come up for it? Maybe the memory one again?

Has there been any clue as to what questions may come up for it? Maybe the memory one again?

Well, cognitive only has four kinds of question that can be asked, so you only have to study three to guarantee you'll be able to answer at least one of the two questions.

I'm doing reasoning, perception and revising my memory essay. Should be alright. It's the social section I'm afraid of.

I'm doing reasoning, perception and revising my memory essay. Should be alright. It's the social section I'm afraid of.

Its the other way around for me. I found the cognitive very hard. He recommends a chapter out of Ensyk and Keane for each lecture. Should I read through those chapters or is there an easier way?

• Advertisement

Aye, but I am uncertain as to how they conduct psychology through science what with being an Arts student, and was semi-assuming that they could be taking it from a purely neuropsychological perspective which would potentially render at least the social aspect somewhat mundane in comparison to say biological studies. I personally don't see how it would be irrelevant, but was just teasing out an answer which could then turn into an interesting discussion of the psychology course. Plus, in certain cases of irritation people can be prone to proclaiming that something is irrelevant simply due to their irritation towards a subject.

[/wall of text]

No, science is just another entry route (and probably a more apt one considering psychology is in the faculty of science) and not a different approach to the course. In any case, the tenet of most of psychology is the application of the scientific method to human behaviour so really science students should probably be the ideal psychology student.

Haven't a breeze why they're doing it either! I thought they were just doing the cognitive part of the course for an understanding of how the brain processes things which might be of relevence in software/hardware design in order to make things more efficient if they take advantage of cognitive principals (i.e. knowing that the brain is hardwired to do something could be used to make a user interface more inuitive to use or something like that?) but perhaps not.
    Its the other way around for me. I found the cognitive very hard. He recommends a chapter out of Ensyk and Keane for each lecture. Should I read through those chapters or is there an easier way?

You could just rely on the notes but if you're finding it difficult then I'd recommend reading the chapters because it should be explained quite clearly there, it's a decent book aimed at undergrads. Cognitive shouldn't be any harder than social, just make sure for both sections that you back up any theory with experimental evidence as without evidence theories mean nothing.

Plus if the thoughts of reading four chapters for a section of your exams is daunting, what did you expect from university? It's pretty standard for any course to have roughly a chapter per lecture required reading in first year.

Good luck tomorrrow lads and lassies, I know I'm gona need it.

:D:D:D:D:D

****! YES! A pass at least.

Advertisement