Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow College..

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hey,

I’m just speculating if anyone knows anything about Carlow College. What is the quality teaching like at Carlow college??. As anyone done there course in Humanities if so what did you think of it. Is Carlow College saw as a poor college? And what is there accommodation like ?? And is Carlow College worth considering?? There website is very poor and meagre and it may actually turn people off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

Brooke01 wrote: »
    Hey,

I’m just speculating if anyone knows anything about Carlow College. What is the quality teaching like at Carlow college??. As anyone done there course in Humanities if so what did you think of it. Is Carlow College saw as a poor college? And what is there accommodation like ?? And is Carlow College worth considering?? There website is very poor and meagre and it may actually turn people off

Hi Brooke

I went there and theres a couple of posters on here that are there still I think. I did social care and the college I couldn't recommend enough, theres about 600 students in it and the individual attention you can get if needed is second to none it's fantastic. the accomodation hasn't been open the last few years and it was poor. If the accommodation opens again in Septemeber I would not recommend it, sharing a house in Carlow would be just as cheap, if not cheaper.

I would not say that the college is poor,there has been huge investment in the last few years, the library has been completey newly built in the old chapel and is superb , they could possibly do with more computers though.

overall I would very much recommend the place, I was in DKIT for 2 years prior to going to Carlow College and of the 2 Carlow college would of been my preferred choice.

edit theres also a new theatre on the grounds of it that is just opening at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I joined the humanities course in 2006/2007 just out of secondary and i HATED it. the course academically didn't suit me as ya had to study history of philosophy, as well as theology, all the while ignoring the fact that you were studying the other...I'm atheist and I didn't enjoy having to learn the religious side of things, as well as the frustrating fact that it was HISTORY of philosophy, not philosophy, so the minute the topic got interesting, we'd move on. Having said that, the fact that the college is so small, means you get to know people quickly and the individual attention is good.
    I'm from Carlow originally, and as such, didn't need to settle in or look for accomodation. I thought the college, socially, was kack. Austere, too quiet, no sensse of fun, as well as a lack of facilities. Very boring. I've since joined a course in Carlow IT, but couldnt settle (not the colleges fault, I chose a dodgy course just so I could continue DJ'ing full time), before finally finding my niche by leaving Carlow. When I look back on Carlow College, I am very glad I got out when I did.
    If you're serious about getting an education, and little else, then go for it. But if you want to go to college, go elsewhere. By the way, I had several female friends do the social care course, and they have all dropped out due to the poor college life. Only one remains, but she has no 'college life', just a course, and cant wait to finish.

ottostreet wrote: »
    If you're serious about getting an education, and little else, then go for it. But if you want to go to college, go elsewhere. By the way, I had several female friends do the social care course, and they have all dropped out due to the poor college life. Only one remains, but she has no 'college life', just a course, and cant wait to finish.

I disagree with this part, I had a brilliant college life, and made some life long friends there, I was on the union there also and had a great time doing that too. people don;t drop out due to college life, they drop out because of their own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Hey,

I am going into 3rd year of the Humanities in Carlow College and I love it.

It is a small college which is good for the students, all the lecturers and the students are very close. Everyone knows everyone's name. The same is true for the students, you don't get lost in the college. There is a good social scene with the college, they are linked in the one or two pubs in the town.

The humanities course suits me - I really enjoy studying English, History, Philosophy, Spanish, Drama & Performance etc etc. The theology doesn't suit me, and I do the absolute minimum of it.

It is a good degree for going into Primary/Secondary teaching. And then they are many other different career options of it either.

Someone who hates the course isn't really a fair judge of it ;););) It is a good degree and it stands up very well to all its counterparts in UCD, Trinity etc etc.

I think it is only one of two degrees in the country that gives you the range of choices that Carlow does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I'm a humanities graduate :)

I won't lie and say it was all plain sailing...parts of it I found really tough, dont think I really knew I was getting into when I accepted the course.

But I don't have one regret.

I wouldn't have lasted a week in a big IT...I was a very shy person, but Pats brought me out of myself too.

I dont even think there was an SU when I started there, if there was it wasn't very active. But by the end of my 4years, we had ladies and lads football teams and events organised during rag week.
    It's becoming a more professional set up, which is great to see. I just hope it doesn't loose it's charm in the process.

Most of the staff are so friendly and approachable.

I even met my boyfriend there, although we didn't get together till after college.

PS Queen, I still have all my lecture notes and books and stuff, so if you ever need anything just holler.

I read over my thesis now and I can't believe I once wrote like that.

BTW, I done a postgrad in journalism after my degree. It's just a very broad arts degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

patrickc wrote: »
    I disagree with this part, I had a brilliant college life, and made some life long friends there, I was on the union there also and had a great time doing that too. people don;t drop out due to college life, they drop out because of their own choice.

oh that's true yeah. im trying to keep it just about my own experiences without just saying "oh its ****e", because, at the end of the day, i only spent five or six months there. Just going on my other friends experiences and all, I just think that we were all pretty unhappy with our choices of college. I think the main problem I had was that I'm from Carlow and went to the Pres. Came straight out and went to CC, and it was just like swapping from a nice friendly secondary to a cold, boring college down the road. I personally never found myself settling at CC, but I'm sure its possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

i have friends who studied there and one who teaches there. They all loved their experiences. That said though .. .

If you can go anywhere else do, the NUI's etc. If you dont have the points, then its a grand gateway.

Be prepared for nobody to recognize your alma mater though. The only people who know it exists are those who went there. Im from carlow and only found out the range of subjects when I finished my primary degree.

Oh and you get to study a wide range of subjects, there is an old saying, an apprentice of many but master of none. people who have studied postgraduates elsewhere have struggled to keep up with people who have studied more focused and in depth into a given subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

niall3r wrote: »
    If you can go anywhere else do, the NUI's etc. If you dont have the points, then its a grand gateway.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Choosing a college, is like buying a new pair of shoes...You have to get the right fit.

I didn't make the points to do the art degrees in the biggers colleges, but as i said in a previous post, i don't think i would have lasted a week in some of them.

Carlow College was the right fit for me...I felt right at home there from day 1. I went through some really tough times in the college, but I had some great friends there who helped me through them...who are still great friends to date.

I know people who have gone on to do postgrads in philosophy in other institutions and they haven't struggled to keep up and have actually done quiet well in their courses. That's about the individual.

The bottom line is think carefully about where to go to college...as there are alot of other factors which influence whether you get on well there or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Thank you everyone for the help and advice you have give. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

When people say small, they mean small compared to the likes of DCU UCD UCC and Trinity, College wouldn't be considered a "small" college. It's of average size with 4000 students (including all types). Lots of courses and facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

i moved this here, you may get more help.

regards dan

please more this thread back due to the face this is Carlow IT and not Carlow college

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Moved back, as it doesnt really apply to the Carlow IT forum as it does seem to be about the Carlow College...

Does Carlow college give students any information on student accommodation in the town (phone no/ names) ??? and with sharing a house with other students at CC ??

Does Carlow college give students any information on student accommodation in the town (phone no/ names) ??? and with sharing a house with other students at CC ??

they used to, but the i.thad better ones, if you got it off them instead

What is the history and english course like ??? is it really hard ??? did you like the course and the subjects you had to do??

thnx for the help !!:)

What is the history and english course like ??? is it really hard ??? did you like the course and the subjects you had to do??

i did social care, i'm not sure what the course is like queen-mise did it though, maybe she can answer that one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

They pace it really well for each year, so it isn't in any way overwhelming.

It is a reading degree, you may have only 12/14 hours of lectures a week, but would be expected to read for the course.

As I said already the course really suited me, I love English & History, and really enjoyed studying all the different genres covered by the course.

The year of Roman history is hilarious though, I have never heard of as many cousins marrying aunts, marrying brothers in laws, killing sisters etc etc.

The Humanities degree educates you in the development of Western Culture, you really understand why our culture is the way it is, politics equality etc etc. You can see how the whole lot develops.

For me philosophy etc really should be on the Leaving Cert course (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1997

Hiya. Sorry to bring up this thread but cant seem to find much info anywhere else. Just wondered what the job prospects in general would be for the English/History. Id be a mature student attendin college first time with kids and part time work. Course on paper really interests me and feel its now or ever,seeing as Ill be payin I dont want to make a massive mistake. Are the hours long and every day does anyone know? Thanks in advance 😊

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are many, many unemployed teachers of that combination. Could you do something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1997

Thanks for the reply,tbh I probably could but wanted to do something Id enjoy moreso. Had a feeling it would be a bad idea,suppose most people would be travelling abroad to get work with that degree🀔

Advertisement