Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering what my options are

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    At the moment I'm 26 years old. I have done three out of four years of a Fine Art degree at NCAD, Dublin. I left at the beginning of my 4th year because I was finding it very hard to continue the course work..."artists block" if you will.

Anyway, it's a few years on and I'm thinking about going back to education. I contacted my college and they said I can reapply for this year and there will be a place for me to go straight back in to 4th year, pending an interview and review of my portfolio which is great.

However, I'd like to check out what other options I have. There may be a different course that I'd prefer to do. I'm not sure what the story is with transferring a degree over to a different course, or different college. I may want to try something that isn't art related if it is an option available to me. Is it possible to jump courses like that, or is it necessary to complete the degree and then go on and do something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    At the moment I'm 26 years old. I have done three out of four years of a Fine Art degree at NCAD, Dublin. I left at the beginning of my 4th year because I was finding it very hard to continue the course work..."artists block" if you will.

Anyway, it's a few years on and I'm thinking about going back to education. I contacted my college and they said I can reapply for this year and there will be a place for me to go straight back in to 4th year, pending an interview and review of my portfolio which is great.

However, I'd like to check out what other options I have. There may be a different course that I'd prefer to do. I'm not sure what the story is with transferring a degree over to a different course, or different college. I may want to try something that isn't art related if it is an option available to me. Is it possible to jump courses like that, or is it necessary to complete the degree and then go on and do something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I doubt you'll get the same "value" from other colleges as NCAD are offering you - especially if the new course is in a different field. Only the institutions in question can tell you for sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get the same "value" from other colleges as NCAD are offering you - especially if the new course is in a different field. Only the institutions in question can tell you for sure though

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering though how I would find out what other courses I could possibly go to. I probably have to finish the course up in NCAD and then go and do something else, but maybe I have more options than that that I am not aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm wondering though how I would find out what other courses I could possibly go to.

www.qualifax.ie have details of every course in the country i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi Cianos, have no advise for you, so hope you don't mind me butting in on your post.
    I'm just wondering how you found the 3 years, was it tough going?What are your thoughts on NCAD in general?
    I'm asking because I'm starting a portfolio course in September , and for 2010 NCAD is high on my 'maybe'list of progressions.
    I've dicovered art late in life and am wondering did you find yourself surrounded by many mature art students?

Advertisement