Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

FatSnacks wrote: »
    Just after accepting my offer to GMIT for Bar & Restaurant Management in Galway and I was wondering about accommodation. Where do all the freshers usually stay? I've looked at GMIT's website and they have Glasan, Cuirt Na Rasi and Glenn Na Ri listed. Does anyone have any info about what these places are like? Or is there other student villages? Thanks in advance

Its all said back above if you read the posts, Glasan is closest and messiest, if you want to go to college to actually study and do well then dont live in Glasan id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossi

hi, I recently paid a deposit on a bedroom near gmit (5min walk) I have decided to back out of it and take a different option, there are 2 single beds in the room one of which is occupied already. the rent is 275 euro per month per person. the ideal person would be a 17/18 year old male first year student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Read the forum there's a thread already

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I JUST BOOKED GLASAN COS GLEANN NA RI WAS ALL BOOKED OUT DOES THIS MEAN IM BONED?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

:confused:? Why would you be boned? Unless you're as loud as you write, then there shouldn't be much of a problem. Anywho, all depends on what you're looking for from the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Is gmit, well, big? I mean like how many students go to GMIT? More than a thousand at least?

Between all the campuses, you're looking at maybe 5000 full-time & 3000 part-time, so there are definitely more then 2000 full-time at the main campus on Dublin Rd. If Glasan falls through for you too, check daft.ie; new properties keep being added each day for Galway (to the chagrin of my new landlord!).

Badwulf wrote: »
    Is gmit, well, big? I mean like how many students go to GMIT? More than a thousand at least?
    The Dublin Rd campus is one big building really. Not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 richie9222

Any rooms available for a final year student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Hey,

I'll be studying a higher diploma at GMIT this year, but I'm finding it rather difficult to find somewhere suitable. I'm 25, clean/tidy, sociable etc. I'd prefer to live with mature students or people close to my own age.

Just looking for a relaxed house share. If anyone here is looking for a mature student who's easy going feel free to get in touch :)

• Advertisement

I'd have had a near perfect place to offer just a few days back for either yourself Silent or Richie, but the landlords already given away the two optional rooms (mature student around your own age & the place is only 5-10min from the IT). Just hoping now that he's not landed me with a pair of dry gimps or lads just away from home this year T.T

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Studying at GMIT next year.

Just checking out daft.ie now for accommodation.

What would be the best area to live close to there?
    I see Ballyban is very close but there's not so much available.

Renmore?

There's a bunch of subcategories, but I'm not that familiar with Galway so I don't know which one to check.

Also, does Galway Advertiser have a good online section for room lets?
    Checking, but haven't found it so far.

Best bet if you're stuck for choosing, I found, is to enter the "colleges" tab, click "GMIT" & search by distance from there, cross-referencing with "date entered".

Closest places would be Ballybane, Merlin, Wellpark, Renmore, Ballybrit & Roscam but you could live on Bohermore, Lough Atalia or some parts of the Headford Road & use the buses/bike to get back and forth if a walk didn't suit.

I've heard something about GMIT running bus services from Ballybrit&that area to the IT in the mornings too, but I don't know much about their reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

I may be moving down to Galway to study as a mature student at Gmit so would need a place to rent, I'm 26 and well house trained so if anyone has got anything I'd be grateful. Prefer to live with other mature students but it's not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Michael2795

Hi everyone, thinking about heading to GMIT next year (i know I'm planning ahead) seen this place Ceann Boirne looks ideal but haven't heard anything about it says on their website they've only 11 apartments!
    Anyone know anything about It or any firsthand experience hearing stories about all other accommodation places. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wake_Up_Donnie

Hi everyone, thinking about heading to GMIT next year (i know I'm planning ahead) seen this place Ceann Boirne looks ideal but haven't heard anything about it says on their website they've only 11 apartments!
    Anyone know anything about It or any firsthand experience hearing stories about all other accommodation places. Thanks!!

Hi Michael, I'm in Cuirt na Rasai atm but there are a number of student complexes to choose from (you could always go for a house/digs instead).

Ceann Boirne: Opposite GMIT, about 15 min walk from SuperValu. Most expensive of student accommodation, at least it was last time I checked prices. Don't know anybody staying there so no idea what rooms/apts are like.

Cuirt na Rasai: In Ballybrit, so 30 min walk to GMIT or there's a shuttle bus in the morning (every 20 mins from 8.25-9.45) and evening (every 20 mins from 16.10-18.10). Shuttle bus is 1 euro per trip or 8 euro for 10 trips. However on Fridays, last bus to leave GMIT is at 13.00. You could always get a city bus (409) instead, every 15 mins behind Dunnes, until 19.00. Reduced coverage after 19.00.

For the most part, it's grand living here but the walls are paper thin, so there isn't much privacy. If apts above/below are making noise, you'll hear it. Apartments and rooms are grand. If you have a car, plenty of parking and it's free.

Tir na gCapall: In Ballybrit as well. Almost right beside Cuirt na Rasai, so you can also get the same shuttle bus or the city bus. Know a good few people living there, never heard anything bad about it. Every room is ensuite but the living area/kitchen is quite small.

Both Tir na gCapall and Cuirt na Rasai are a 2min walk from Ballybrit Shopping Centre which has Dunnes, a chemist, a cafe, I think Permanent TSB and a hairdressers. It's 30mins on the bus to Galway city or a 60min walk.

Glasan: Opposite GMIT. Mostly first years live here. Quite noisy from what I've heard. They have security at night time so you have to be a resident to enter after 23.00 which can be a pain if you want to have people over. Need a permit for parking. Houses and rooms are nice, big desks in the bedrooms.

Gleann na Ri: Know few people living here. They seem happy enough with the place. Not sure exactly where it is but it's about 30min walk from GMIT, no shuttle bus but there's probably a city bus you could get if it's raining.

Best thing to do is visit the places you're considering staying and judge for yourself (for all colleges you're thinking of going, not just GMIT). You're better off planning ahead, give yourself plenty of time to think about all your options. You should also visit the campus and see whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

"Cuirt na rasai -A 10-15 minute walk from GMIT. I'm not entirely sure what facilities there are. Hopefully someone will let me know"

Lived in Tír na Gcapall in first year which is right beside Cuirt na Rasaí and it's always about a 20-25 minute walk !?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laura75

I am currently a 1st year student and am thinking about living in a house starting September, where is the best place to look for accommodation? When would be the best time to start enquiring about places?

Laura75 wrote: »
    I am currently a 1st year student and am thinking about living in a house starting September, where is the best place to look for accommodation? When would be the best time to start enquiring about places?

Where as in what estate or what website paper? Daft and Advertiser for listings. Id say start looking from July on, as soon as LC results come out then youre in a race with thousands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jaffa093

Anyone know anything bout the doughiska area for living in like in the housing estates? Many students out there?

• Advertisement

jaffa093 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything bout the doughiska area for living in like in the housing estates? Many students out there?

Its not a student area per se, im sure there may be some there. Most students live in Glasan, Gleann Na Ri, Cuirt na Rasai, Tir na gCapall and Renmore. The 409 goes through Doughishka and stops outside GMIT, its also a nice journey by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jaffa093

Its not a student area per se, im sure there may be some there. Most students live in Glasan, Gleann Na Ri, Cuirt na Rasai, Tir na gCapall and Renmore. The 409 goes through Doughishka and stops outside GMIT, its also a nice journey by bike.

Thanks, am goin into 3rd year so definitely won't be going glasan, ha

I don't know many students living around Doughiska but the few that do are based near the NCT centre and it seems to be busy families with young kids. Seems to be a decent mix of nationalities too. Not far from the college in terms of a cycle, walking might be a bit annoying in terms of the weather/length but the bus system is decent.

Hi. I'm going to be a second year student in September and I was just wondering where to live. I'd like to get a bit of study done but also have the craic. I was thinking either Cuirt Na Rasai or Tir na Gcapaill? Which would you think would be better? Are the okay people to deal with and are they strict with security and stuff
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DarlingLouLou

Anitaone wrote: »
    Hi. I'm going to be a second year student in September and I was just wondering where to live. I'd like to get a bit of study done but also have the craic. I was thinking either Cuirt Na Rasai or Tir na Gcapaill? Which would you think would be better? Are the okay people to deal with and are they strict with security and stuff
    Thanks in advance.

Hey there, Im going into second year in GMIT also, I lived in cuirt na rasai for first year and loved it so I will be returning again for second year. I stayed in a twin room single occupancy with an ensuite, and my room mate had the single room. Both rooms were plenty big. Having an extra bed was very handy as it meant people could stay over. The kitchen and living area in my apartment was spacious and perfect for 2 people, the 4 bedroom apartments have a much larger living and kitchen area. The people are lovey and the landlord is super friendly and great at helping with any problems you encounter.
    I have been in Tir na Gcappail appartments with friends and in comparison Cuirt na Rasai is much more spacious, and also a big thing is that Tir na Gcappail doesnt have fridge freezers which meant my friends had to buy food on the day of use and couldnt freeze things. the sitting room and kitchen area is tiny and the rooms are also rather small but have an ensuit in every room and a single bed. Overall both appartments are nice, and both have a shuttle bus going to and from college everyday, Tir na Gcappail is cheaper but I think Cuirt na Rasai is worth the extra money. Security in Tir na Gcappail is stricter than Cuirt na Rasai, secuirty for both apartments is located in the cuirt na rasai apartment block but they have only ever been called twice throughout the whole year and only are called if an appartent is reported for being too loud by another apartment while they patrol tir na gcappail every night. Mind you the craic can be had in both and either complex would be a good choice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rhysl

Is cuirt na rasai any good? Booked accomadation here last week and literally no nobody, All my friends decided to go to limerick.Is it easy make friends in this accomadation? I'm really nervous but I am willing to put myself out there to get to know people

Hey there! Cuirt Na Rasai is honestly a great accomidation, best Gmit student appartments in my opinion! I'm going into my second year and also staying in Cuirt Na Rasai for the second year!:) like u, I moved down knowing no one and instantly made friends within the first week by simply knocking on all our neighbours doors with my flat mate, we became the best of friends with the entire block by the end of the year!:) the thought of moving out can be very scary but honestly it will all work out! being willing to put urself out their is a great skill to have when it comes to making friends in college and well since I'll be in the same complex as you, Uve already made one friend! we could actually even be neighbours! everyones on the same boat at u just remember that!:)
    Rhysl wrote: »
    Is cuirt na rasai any good? Booked accomadation here last week and literally no nobody, All my friends decided to go to limerick.Is it easy make friends in this accomadation? I'm really nervous but I am willing to put myself out there to get to know people

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rhysl

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo290

First year going into GMIT to do Business anyone give me any recommendation of good student accommodation to stay in. Looking to meet lots of new people while having a bit of craic but also would like to do well in my course aswell any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Liamo290 wrote: »
    First year going into GMIT to do Business anyone give me any recommendation of good student accommodation to stay in. Looking to meet lots of new people while having a bit of craic but also would like to do well in my course aswell any suggestions?

Cuirt Na rasai-great accomidation in general and quiet enough but good for making friends if your willing to put yourself out there
    Tir Na gcappal- next door to Cuirt Na Rasai, smaller than Cuirt na Rasai but again very easy to make friends here too
    glasan- easiest place to make friends but wouldn't reccomend as it is literally just a student party village and people always move out after the first year even though it is a 2 min walk from college and nice big house. Would avoid glasan

Go with one of the first two if u wanna get study done is my advice :)

Advertisement