Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social behaviour - Pub closing times???

Options
  • 17-05-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Ok now I know I'm the one who wants to actually be on the council, but I wanted to see could I get everyone elses opinions on this subject? (I think it makes more sense for the general public to actually come along and have their say on this as when was the last time you saw any of the Borough Council on John Street at 3 in the morning?)

So how do people believe this could be solved?

Like should we have:
    Pubs reverted back to the original closing times?
    Pubs all close at the same time?
    Take aways close before pubs?
    Extra late licenses for one or two pubs?
    Or anything anyone can think of......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The rule of Off licences closing at 10PM is a complete mystery to me. It adds NOTHING other than an irritating inconvienence. I really do not understand the thinking behind it at all. Is it supposed to prevent drunkenness or alcoholism or what?

I have been drinking less and driving more lately and I have driven up though John Street on many a Saturday Night at 3AM. On more than one occasion I have had to stop the car because there was someone getting the **** kicked out of him on the street.

People have been saying it for years... there is nothing new here: Just allow pubs and clubs to stay open as long as they want. I have been in clubs all over Europe, some that stay open until 6am, people just go home in their own time in dribs and drabs, no mass exodus.

Obviously nobody on the council is in a position to grant this permission, so the whole thing is a waste of time. I go out most weekends and have never been involved in an altercation of any description. I do enjoy staying out late and partying and basically just enjoying myself though and I hate the authoratarianism which greatly restricts my doing this.

We are getting 4ss raped on tax at the moment to support GOVERMENTAL fu<k ups and half the bloody country is out of wok., The least they could do is let us have the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

fabbydabby wrote: »
    The rule of Off licences closing at 10PM is a complete mystery to me. It adds NOTHING other than an irritating inconvienence. I really do not understand the thinking behind it at all. Is it supposed to prevent drunkenness or alcoholism or what?

Nobody on the Borough Council can do anything about this issue in fairness. The idea is so that when you leave the pub you can't go buy more that is all.
    I have been drinking less and driving more lately and I have driven up though John Street on many a Saturday Night at 3AM. On more than one occasion I have had to stop the car because there was someone getting the **** kicked out of him on the street.

People have been saying it for years... there is nothing new here: Just allow pubs and clubs to stay open as long as they want. I have been in clubs all over Europe, some that stay open until 6am, people just go home in their own time in dribs and drabs, no mass exodus.

Obviously nobody on the council is in a position to grant this permission, so the whole thing is a waste of time. I go out most weekends and have never been involved in an altercation of any description. I do enjoy staying out late and partying and basically just enjoying myself though and I hate the authoratarianism which greatly restricts my doing this.

We are getting 4ss raped on tax at the moment to support GOVERMENTAL fu<k ups and half the bloody country is out of wok., The least they could do is let us have the weekend.

On the council we would have powers to change about these times by working with the Gardaí and the courts. Thats how all this came about in the first place when the Mayor at the time decided to screw about with the closing times resulting in the shambles we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

a return to mass exodus would be a huge mistake i believe. i've lived in places where bars closed when then last patron stumbled home, so effectively no limit and there were no anti social problems.

on a recent trip in Europe i was in an underground metro late on a Saturday night and beer was still been served on the platform! again no anti social problems; there was a security presence and their muzzled dogs looked more like wolves recently captured from the transalpine forests.

ultimately i see the solution been a national law and order problem and not one for individual councils alone to solve. unfortunately we still live in a society that thinks binge drinking is a positive social activity.

i view the off license 10pm limit as a fig leaf from the government to the vintners in the face of falling sales. nothing new here, just more of the horse trading that at the end of the day has the interests of the public last.
    the people get the government they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Roare

Opening hours should be extended, and a number of late bars with proper late license not just an hour after the pub closes.

As with the previous post's people will head home when they want, you will not have everyone on the street at once. People will be able to get taxis much easier, there should be less altercations on the street, and should hopefully curb some of the anti social behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I've lived on John St for most of my life. We were promised CCTV covering the street for as long as I can remember, but it's still not there.
    I think CCTV would be a start in cracking down on anti-social behaviour. A visible presence of the Gardai too would be great...in fairness, they are around John St a lot more of late than they were in previous years.

Staggering closing times would also be a HUGE help. Having everyone pour out on the streets at the same time is pure madness.

Chippers - not really a problem. Let them open and close when they want. If someone is out to cause a fight/trouble they will do it regardless of if the chippers are open or not. Most rows I've seen though the years tend to be around the taxi ranks...not chippers.

The best way to fix it all is to arrange really heavy rain every Saturday night :)
    Nothing better than rain to clear the street at 2am!

• Advertisement

CCTV is essential on John Street, but it needs to be good quality CCTV not the crap that is used in most places. It's pointless having something up if we can't even make out the persons face.

I personally would be more in favour of later closing times for certain pubs. But not them all as it just puts us back to square one. A later license for 3 pubs say. 2 on John Street and 1 on Parliament Street.

Taxi ranks I want to see the one at Bateman Quay made bigger, lit more appropriately and the other rank in Dunnes car park removed and turned back into parking spaces.

Rain - sure we'll all go out about half one each Saturday night and do a rain dance so sort things out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

How about getting the Gardai out of the Station House and on the Streets and have them actually enforce the laws for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Staggering the closing times for pubs/late bars/nightclubs would be a great solution coupled with a few more fish & chip shops.....or even a breakfast roll at 2 in the morning:):):):):)

The borough should of let Supermacs stay open till 3....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

First of all pubs should do more to make sure people who are too drunk aren't served. You nearly have to be unconsciously drunk to be refused in a bar.

There should also be staggered closing times. Everyone coming out at the same time is ridiculous. In Australia, different bars close at different times, so getting a taxi is never a problem.

I agree with CCTV should be introduced to John Street, it should at least act as a deterrent.

My 2 cents......

Ok so closing times to be changed to 12.30, 2.30 and 4? Depending on the license you have.

CCTV on John Street.

Anything else?

• Advertisement

Man if you succeeded in getting that in, I would actually campaign for you!

Though I suppose to get it in you'd have to actually be on the council, at which point campaining would be useless.

But you have my blessing nonetheless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I always associate the earlier closing times with CLR Marie Fitzpatrick and her incessant ramblings "how terrible and rough the city centre is at 2am in the morning...."
    Typical Labour party imo strangling businesses with red tape and blocking free choice. If a pub in KK wants to stay open late, they should be allowed decide themselves, not for theBorough Council to decide everything.

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Staggering the closing times for pubs/late bars/nightclubs would be a great solution coupled with a few more fish & chip shops.....or even a breakfast roll at 2 in the morning:):):):):)

The borough should of let Supermacs stay open till 3....

Again the nanny state attidude of the Borough Council. They rabbit on then about 400 year celebrations for the city. What kind of city can you not get a bite to eat at 2 in the morn?

Man if you succeeded in getting that in, I would actually campaign for you!

Though I suppose to get it in you'd have to actually be on the council, at which point campaining would be useless.

But you have my blessing nonetheless:)

Well, I'm researching it right now. I'm in favour if it can be done. I know Purty Kitchen and Sin in Dublin both stay open past half 2. Does anyone know of anywhere outside of Dublin that does?

Realistically this will actually help pubs, taxis, Gardaí and the people who are randomly attacked on crowded streets.

Was it not a Judge that restricted the closing times in KK as opposed to the council?

A judge has to sign off on it all yes. But the proposal came from Cllr. Fitzpatrick during her term as Mayor.

Cllr Fitz no doubt enjoys staying in and watching the Late Late on Friday nights:rolleyes:

Showing that these measures have not worked and serve only enough to throw a dampener on tourism is grounds enough to have them revoked imo, would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

All you have to do now darren is get the publicans to drop their prices! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rosel

we nead more gaurd's on the streat john steet can be very dangoures for some body going home alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tom12

i seen two guys beaten up a guy friday night and no sign of the gaurd's its to easy to be out given people tickets for no tax easer than stopping fights

• Advertisement

A judge has to sign off on it all yes. But the proposal came from Cllr. Fitzpatrick during her term as Mayor.

Yes and thats all the Labour party contribute in my opinion. I'm far more concerned with developing the cities infrastructure and where we can develop jobs.
    Restricting opening times and choice is state imposed meddling in affaris that don't concern it. And of course it means fewer jobs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

I'll give the big +1 to everything mfitzy has said so far. Good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

mfitzy wrote: »
    Again the nanny state attidude of the Borough Council. They rabbit on then about 400 year celebrations for the city. What kind of city can you not get a bite to eat at 2 in the morn?

Too true. Its absolutely riduclous in this day and age of 2009 that a business needs PLANNING PERMISSION to trade after 12 midnight in this city.

Yes and thats all the Labour party contribute in my opinion. I'm far more concerned with developing the cities infrastructure and where we can develop jobs.
    Restricting opening times and choice is state imposed meddling in affaris that don't concern it. And of course it means fewer jobs as well.

Well extending hours will create more jobs in pubs and retain a lot of jobs for people such as Taxi drivers.

Well extending hours will create more jobs in pubs and retain a lot of jobs for people such as Taxi drivers.

Why can't the like of Fitzpatrick et al see this? Or maybe they don't care, more concerned with social welfare than helping businesses which would in turn create jobs.
    The way Kilkenny is run just makes so angry. So small minded and an absence of any direction as to where it is going. I want to see BIG plans as to how we can further develop the place, of course while protecting what we already have. There is huge oppurtunity in the next few years here; we're going to have a full motorway link to Dublin in a year or so. Infrastructure brings jobs. There was a guy Fitzgerald I think dropped in a brochure, FG I think, all about creating jobs and developing Kilkenny, was a very good read and fair play to him.

Not this rubbish about night club closing times. What a waste of council time and consequently my tax money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I completely agree that staggered closing times are the way forward. Chucking thousands of drunks onto the street at the same time is ridiculous. Again, its another example of our council shooting themselves in the foot.

http://kilkennyalive.com/story/murphy-calls-staggered-pub-closing-times
    There was a guy Fitzgerald I think dropped in a brochure, FG I think, all about creating jobs and developing Kilkenny, was a very good read and fair play to him.

Not this rubbish about night club closing times. What a waste of council time and consequently my tax money.

http://www.davidfitzgerald.ie/

mick_irl wrote: »

Someone is quick off the mark anyway! I only sent that in an hour ago! :P

I can certainly see an advantage for taxi drivers to getting the hours staggered again. At the moment they spend 90% of their time in the rank reading the paper and waiting for business, and the other 10% driving manically to capitalise on the 120 minutes or so per night they are actually in high demand, while people wait at the rank impatiently. The taxi's bust back into town as quick as they can (probably dangerously).

Staggered times at the weekend means a lower peak and smoother demand, which suits both the punters and the taxis. You could get them on board with this, and a petition might be a help?

also, i resent the fact that some crusty gets to tell me when I have to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have to agree with all that has been said and this is the most productive thread I've seen here for a while.

To highlight - longer opening hours means:

(i) Less people on the streets at the one time meaning less chances of trouble.

(ii) More working hours for pubs/taxis/food places meaning more jobs.

(iii) Better promotion for Kilkenny nightlife = more stags, hens, tourists & visitors = more business = more jobs.

(iv) Better chance for taxis to make more runs = more money.

(v) More taxis available for whenever you leave the pub = less trouble/queueing in taxi ranks.

Worth it? Of course it is.

I cant see CCTV solving problems before they begin, only after they happen. Prevention is better than cure, yeah?
    I don't thing two people after 'necking' eight pints and 'God knows what else' slugging it out giving a damn about a camera pointing down at them.
    The only thing that would resolve that would be increased Garda presence, less chance of those two meeting and stricter regulations of people 'falling down drunk' still getting served.

That being said, there will always be trouble but surely the aim is to take measures in preventing it from happening.

My 2c worth.

Advertisement