Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

managers?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

does anyone know how to go about finding a manager for a band? we're an Irish band based in Dublin and we've been going for a while ourselves but we really don't know much about the music industry to be honest and we need some guidance. is there any good places to look for managers or are there any places at all? thats how confused we are...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

In my opinion, don't bother with one, - not really worth it - unless its Paul McGuinness or someone, educate yourselves on the music industry, times are very different from a few years ago and it all seems very much to be a DIY affair now. I'm in a band and we do everything ourselves, with the help of a few buddies here and we're managing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

agree with 11811.

A lot of bands seem to think "ok we've done two gigs, wrote a few songs now lets go to the next level" The truth is what's a manager going to do for a band in this situation? Nothing. Until you have an album, complete with artwork and promo stuff ready to go - there is absolutely nothing of value they can do for you and you can do for him. (remember he'll need to be paid too). If you are that incompetant that out of 4 or 5 band members no one can make calls to book gigs or studios then you probably shouldnt be in a band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭bathroom gurgle

hey craiginireland i think you're underestimating us a bit. we've been together for over a year and a half, we've done plenty of gigs and recorded a lot. we're not just starting and decided we need a manager. we're not looking for some huge company to look after us either but lately we've tried to do things as a band and they've fallen apart so we want an independent person who's there and who has a good knowledge of music industry to point us in the right direction on decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

The hotpress yearbook has a complete section dedicated to managers and management companies of various sizes so its worth browsing through that.
    Tis usually on the shelves in Tower so you shouldnt have to fork out the 15 yoyo's or whatever it is to buy it. ;)
    Also I cant agree with the comment on managers wanting paying by new unsigned bands, it certainly hasnt been my experience anyway.

hey thanks ye someone mentioned the hotpress yearbook to me a few days ago. do you know when its out or is it out already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

As I said on another thread the girl who rang me from hotpress said it would be out in April..............
    Im guessing it wont be long now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Bren Jacob wrote: »
    The hotpress yearbook has a complete section dedicated to managers and management companies of various sizes so its worth browsing through that.
    Tis usually on the shelves in Tower so you shouldnt have to fork out the 15 yoyo's or whatever it is to buy it. ;)
    Also I cant agree with the comment on managers wanting paying by new unsigned bands, it certainly hasnt been my experience anyway.

Sorry if i sounded cynical... I've found that you get what you pay for.
    Theres a music management course in Ballyfermot. Contact someone there and you might get a student with something to prove.
    Bren Jacob wrote: »
    As I said on another thread the girl who rang me from hotpress said it would be out in April..............
    Im guessing it wont be long now though.

They always say April but they wait as long as possible to get as many ads in as possible. Last couple of years its been June..

thanks for the help. appreciate it

Advertisement