Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Howth

Options
  • 17-05-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hey just wondering what the fishing in howth is like. Whats the best method to use?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Davabo

I myself just use the old faithful wrag.
    Works best for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Howth is a complete headwreck,especially during the summer.
    Gangs of people,scumabgs drinking and playing music,millions of small boats and seals for good measure.
    I'm sick of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 K-Dawg33

Whats your fav fishing area then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Go to Wicklow, You can get out to Bray or Greystones on the M50 in minutes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Howth is a big peninsula. There is more than just the harbour ....

• Advertisement

Iv been to bray pier loads of times and I have never caught any thing. Any spots besides bray pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

K-Dawg33 wrote: »
    Iv been to bray pier loads of times and I have never caught any thing. Any spots besides bray pier.
    you can try greystones at the steps or rocks, wicklow harbour...
    if you have a car just pick a place on a map and head for it.
    bring with you rag, lug, mack and sandeel and ur sorted for most places.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

One other thing. Apart from mackerel, many other species are feeding better and coming in nearer shore after dark.

cool thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ian 123

Hey man,if you really want to fish out in Howth I find the best way to go about it is to spin sandeel along the bottom or float fish rag worm. Both should get you pollock and maybe a few wrasse. fish at the end of the west pier,down at the rocks where the lighthouse is. Try it at about 7-8 o clock on a warm summers evening! hope that helps,cheers

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Last summer I found Balscadden ( not sure of speeling ) , up the hill, with feathers to be very good. Can be gangs of people there though. But was cathching plenty anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anymore decent places along the east coast?

Thinking of headign down to Kilmore and camping over night and doign some fishing...any recommended spots?

Im sick of Howth and Dun Loaire harbours to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Have fished Clogherhead in Co Louth on a few occasions. Found it particularly good in warm weather when the tide was coming in. Particularly good results with rag, or feathers for mackeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flah

was in howth fishing last night 2 hours at balscadden , place was busy with about 6 others there, no fish by anyone the entire time

left just as the huge rain shower started - delighted to dodge it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missilesting

out yesterday of howth at back irelands eye 2 of us fishing for macks filled a fish box in 3 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrfloppyjoe

fishing in howth is complete drivel at the moment. 5 days fishing in a row for 2 hours each time and only 5 mackerel.

Please give me some advice as i am really enhusiastic about starting fishing again but am finding it hard to motivate myself to go with such poor numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

fishing in howth is complete drivel at the moment. 5 days fishing in a row for 2 hours each time and only 5 mackerel.

Please give me some advice as i am really enhusiastic about starting fishing again but am finding it hard to motivate myself to go with such poor numbers.
    what fishing are you looking 2 do? and can you travel

Was out there today and a fair few people were getting fish,mostly so small they were chucking them back.
    As usual there were several contigents of alcoholics including one who told me,whilst he was drinking that drinking wasnt allowed on the pier.
    I left after a bunch of them started shouting sexual abuse at a woman in a dinghy..peace and quiet my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Degsy wrote: »
    Was out there today and a fair few people were getting fish,mostly so small they were chucking them back.
    As usual there were several contigents of alcoholics including one who told me,whilst he was drinking that drinking wasnt allowed on the pier.
    I left after a bunch of them started shouting sexual abuse at a woman in a dinghy..peace and quiet my arse.

We were over at the lighthouse the last two nights, wasn't any drinkers, louts etc.... Don't think they like the long walk up!!
    Best spot out there

• Advertisement

We were over at the lighthouse the last two nights, wasn't any drinkers, louts etc.... Don't think they like the long walk up!!
    Best spot out there

Did ya get any fish?

Degsy wrote: »
    Did ya get any fish?

8-ish pollock between us last night, most were small enough though, couple of Chinese lads around the other side caught a couple of Mackeral too so I heard - from the grapevine filtering around to my side!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

8-ish pollock between us last night, most were small enough though, couple of Chinese lads around the other side caught a couple of Mackeral too so I heard - from the grapevine filtering around to my side!!!!
    Just wondering whether you were fishing of the bottom or feathers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrfloppyjoe

to be honest i dont really know. i have a few feathers and spinners and just cast away and hope for the best. im willing to travel if it means some good fishing

Kevvv wrote: »

They were all caught on feathers when i was there.I tried fishing the bottom but the crabs were milling the bait.

Kevvv wrote: »

Using feathers and those yellow/silver lure rigs were working well too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

hello ray.

Táck wrote: »
    hello ray.

Haha well hello Sean!

Advertisement