Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNN Money - Ireland's new troubles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Great article - yeah, the general concensus is that 2003 was the year that the economy started to go off the rails.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

I see this as being the usual puffery of the US main stream media. Ireland has serious problems with its banks which are losing millions daily in residential and commercial collateral. The government is in a state of deep denial and will probably heave a sigh of relief when it is defeated. The quarter of a billion Euros increase granted to the Public Service was not a wise move. Deflation is a certainty this year and next. This will cause problems for overstretched consumers and businesses which in turn will lead to problems for the banks and the government which is guaranteeing their losses. The fissures will be deep enough to cause social unrest and political problems. Ireland will have to exercise enormous self control to hold things together for the next five years. Political risk is the greatest danger facing Ireland and a number of other countries that were booming recently. The Ukraine is what we do not want to become.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Good article but the liberal spreading of poetic references, blarney this and that, drinking too much, celtic weaving, diddley dieddly blah blah is annoying.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Says "PartyGuinness" :P

I agree with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

thebman wrote: »
    Says "PartyGuinness" :P

I agree with you though.

Touche....:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Good article!

And remember how much of this is the governments (FF) fault.
    • Encouraged the boom due to
      • Tax breaks for development
      • Land rezoning
    • Low interest rates flooding us with money
    • Using tax from the housing boom, which was not a long term constant supply of money, to increase day-to-day spending. It would have moderately better to just invest in solely capital projects, this way the spending could be stopped immediately as the tax went down. Which was inevitable.
    • Giving in to the unions, and literally getting raped. Look how much it costs to set up in Ireland. I dont blame Dell for trying to produce computers on the cheap.

And yet this anger we have is termed irrational :mad:

This anger is apparently because FF have to make the tough decisions. Years and years too late. Even though Cowen now says he was about to tackle it. :rolleyes: Yeah, just like I was about to break up with my girlfriend before she broke up with me. Oh wait, I stopped making that crap up when I was about 14.

Good second chart here:

chart_ireland_gdp.gif

Advertisement