Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many students will be signing on in the next few weeks?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Heard figures ranging from 25,000 to 50,000 students will be graduating this year, most will be finished college in the next few weeks, considering that a lot of last years graduates didnt find work, how many of this years crop will be heading for the social welfare office in the next month with their letter from their college saying they have completed their studies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

All those Arts subjects..... many i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can only hope most plan to go travelling. I imagine a signifcantly higher percentage than previous years will go travelling. Most will avoid the dole if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

The majority of jobs advertised in the papers especially the Sunday Independent are for Teaching Posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm doing everything in my power to avoid it, i'm job hunting and trying to set up a business but it's ridiculously difficult to predict any income at the moment. Keep prayin for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How many of those are posted by recruitment agencies (ie. non-existant)?

I think it is a good idea for graduates to try to start their own business as many are living with parents so don't really face as many personally financial problems if the businesses fail.

A disadvantage could be lack of life experience and business experience (not all will have this disadvantage though as some people are naturally good at this type of thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

thebman wrote: »
    Can only hope most plan to go travelling. I imagine a signifcantly higher percentage than previous years will go travelling. Most will avoid the dole if possible.

Its fine to go travelling but if they haven't got an income they will depend on parents who now don't have much income themselves. The whole situation is getting more serious than we think. Its a vicous circle. If they travel,jobs are just as scarce abroad. How long more can the Government maintain the ever increasing dole handout.

Advertisement