Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sound on connection from PC to TV

Options
  • 17-05-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I am hoping that someone can help me get some sound from my PC on my TV. I have recently installed a Geforce 8 8800 on my PC. I have my PC connected to my TV (Samsung LE324A456) using a HDMI cable. I am able to get the picture from my PC but I am not able to get any sound. I have tried messing around with the setting on my TV but I am not having much luck.

Has anyone done this before.

Thanks in advance.
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Do you have the PC muted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Nope.. The Volume is up. I have checked the volume control on the PC and everything is turned on.

Do I have to connect a separate sound cable from my PC to my TV or does the HDMI cater for this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

HDMI caters for up to 8 audio channels. Check your drivers. Also check that your default audio out is actually your new card and not the onboard audio card. Do this through control panel.

OK.. Not too sure about this..
    I think there the sound is setup for my onboard card. My logice behind this is there are no sound jacks on my Graphics card. Does this mean, I have to go from my onboard to the TV directly..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

SEE here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=262289 i think you need to buy a 3.5mm audio to stereo rca , r, l, cable,cost 4 euro.PuT it in the audio out green port.I THINk the hdmi out on that card is just to send out a HD VIDEO signal.
    OR READ the card manual re sound hdmi.
    IF a card has hdmi out ,it may have no sound eg hdmi is a spec to carry hd video and sound,it can be used just 4 hdvideo depends on the device spec.
    IS HDMI SOUND on in,control panel/audio

• Registered Users Posts: 83,234 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In Vista, Right click the volume button and go to playback devices. Hopefully you should see a Digital Output Device, besides your speakers. Set this to the new Default. For example on mine its the Realtek Digital Output. Setting this to default enables the HDMI sound. In XP go to the Control Panel > Sound

I was not able to find any of the setting on the Control panel or the device manager. In the end I got a 3.5mm JAck to Twin Phono Lead, which did the trick. Cheers for all of the your answers.
    P.

Good i dont think the 8800 has any audio out facility ,just vga or hdmi video .IF you are not sure about settings,when using tv,set graphics card refresh rate 2 60megahertz max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm fairly certain only Ati gpu's do sound thru HDMI

• Advertisement

Yeah they do, the 8800 card is from nvidia,I prefer to use sound from a separate cable .

I checked the Hertz rate and it is currentle set to 60.
    Cheers again for all of the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

some 8 series cards do audio out through hdmi, that is to say, only some models of a certain model. i.e some 9800gts or whatever will support it, others will not, it's not a universal feature. i know palit offer those models anyway, they cost extra. whereas ati cards support it universally across a model line.

also just in case youre using a dvi-hdmi adaptor, you'll never get sound that way as thats video only, cannot carry audio

some 8 series cards do audio out through hdmi, that is to say, only some models of a certain model. i.e some 9800gts or whatever will support it, others will not, it's not a universal feature. i know palit offer those models anyway, they cost extra. whereas ati cards support it universally across a model line.

also just in case youre using a dvi-hdmi adaptor, you'll never get sound that way as thats video only, cannot carry audio

That is one thing I did not menchon. I was using a DVI-HDMI adapter. Sorry and cheeers again.

Advertisement