Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate Beatport

• 17-05-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

how good is beatport.
    i think its ok basically because you can listen to the choons etc.
    but i get the impression these are only very basic choons,with very little thought put into them.
    not on one occasion have i heard a choon that is absolutly bangin or solid or whatever.
    my tuppence.

Rate Beatport 23 votes

Top Notch
    0%
    Excellent
    8%
    jtsuitedDish 2 votes
    Good
    17%
    garthvjoker77HectorjellyFLYNN-DOG 4 votes
    Not Bad
    39%
    ZascarTáckkeithkk16CyberWaste[Deleted User]Four-PercentSteveDonacmanMau5 9 votes
    Bad
    30%
    jonny68Riesen_MealgsparxTURRICANSRFC90VinylJunkiebrianc27 7 votes
    Total Rubbish
    4%
    francois 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Not Bad
    It's hardly their fault that you don't like the music they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Bad
    It's hardly their fault that you don't like the music they sell.

i cant see into the future but if good music came out id like it.
    and no its not their fault ,never said it was.
    im only tryin to get opinion here.

did you vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Not Bad
    Yeah, voted Good - it could be better if it wasn't in flash I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Bad
    As ive said in a different thread I dont like when a website, I dont know how many times I backed out of the site when I pressed the usual back button on the browser rather than the little back button on the website.

I also feel they have poor quality control, maybe its just the industry but it is becoming harder to siv through the site to find decent tunes from different artists.

On the plus side I likeBeatportal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Bad
    Overated id say there are far better places than Beatport for tunage, i quite like BM Soho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Not Bad
    Like it or not your stuck with it... it has something like 85% of the market share for dance music downloads. It also has many exclusive realeases.

If you think it has bad quality tunes then you arent looking hard enough or you don't actually like contemporary dance music, cause it has almost everything bar vinyl exclusive realeases (which are a rarity).

Try searching by labels you like or something, see what other labels the artists you like are on, check out their other realeases.

Bad
    SteveDon wrote: »
    Like it or not your stuck with it... it has something like 85% of the market share for dance music downloads. It also has many exclusive realeases.

If you think it has bad quality tunes then you arent looking hard enough or you don't actually like contemporary dance music, cause it has almost everything bar vinyl exclusive realeases (which are a rarity).

Try searching by labels you like or something, see what other labels the artists you like are on, check out their other realeases.

Yeah I agree its just I often feel im over looking so much good music because there is such a wide variety to choose from.

Not Bad
    I have been using it for the last couple of years.

When you could purchase in dollars.

The flash thing is a bit better, since the new revamp, you can use the back button, I actually used the website as an example off bad web principles in college.

It is defiantly the most exhaustive online shop out there.

And one of the most expensive, the added tax thing is like shopping for a ryanair ticket.

I find when shopping for tunes, if you go to some blogs that review new tunes in what ever genre you like and use that and what ever artists, labels you like, as at times it can turn out to be a chore.

Overall, it is a good site for content.

Bad
    NoDrama wrote: »
    The flash thing is a bit better, since the new revamp, you can use the back button, I actually used the website as an example off bad web principles in college.

Done the same thing a few years ago for e-commerce compared it to juno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Bad
    SteveDon wrote: »

ye i dont look hard enough i suppose,maybe if they put the good stuff on so it could be found easier .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

using the word "choon" and complaining that you can't find any "banging" ones pretty much excludes one from being considered competent to participate in any sort of discussion about music.

sort of like using the word "nite"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dance-tunes.com with its massive archive serves what I listen to better; although Beatport usually ends up being where I have to get a lot of newer tracks due to exclusive deals with labels and the like.

Not Bad
    just to address the issue with quality control.

there is a load of ****e up on beatport, without a doubt, but that is my subjective opinion

if there really was tight quality control on beatport that would mean it would be other people who make the decision of whats good and whats not...

i dont believe this should be the case, especially as beatport has the hegemony on the dance market

its up for you as a dj to decide whats good and whats not if your not bothered doing that then why bother in the frist place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

beatport has a better quality control than most sites.
    anyone can set up a label(with a bit of work)and get there tracks released on sites like juno,beatsdigital,dj download.
    beatport is another matter all together.its much harder to get on there as they arent really taking on new labels without a proven track record of sales or support from big djs.

jonny68 wrote: »
    Overated id say there are far better places than Beatport for tunage, i quite like BM Soho.
    ah cmon,bm soho is a vinyl selling record store based in london.totally different beast.you cant compare a download site to a vinyl selling store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Bad
    BM Soho is also a download store as well.

http://www.bm-soho.com/

BM Soho is also a download store as well.

http://www.bm-soho.com/
    that link shows all the tracks as 12" format.
    cant see any songs to download from it.
    seeing how im on ignore you wont see this i imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Excellent
    honest to God, wtf???

taken from bm soho's myspace page:

'With a digital downloads shop launched in the near future - BM Soho maintains its status as one of the most credible record shops worldwide.'

couldn't find any downloads on the site either.

Not Bad
    jtsuited wrote: »
    honest to God, wtf???

taken from bm soho's myspace page:

'With a digital downloads shop launched in the near future - BM Soho maintains its status as one of the most credible record shops worldwide.'

couldn't find any downloads on the site either.

yeah its only a record shop johnny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Good
    I like beatport, I've never had any problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Good
    I like Beatport, have been using it for a few years. Admittedly they took a long time upgrading the site so you can have a playlist, but the new site is pretty good. Annoying sometimes alright it's a flash or flex application, whatever it is. I like having multiple tabs open, and I'd prefer the playlist to be the same in all windows, but that's a minor gripe.

Overall it's a very user friendly site, if you know what you're looking for. Browsing can be a bit of a pain, but that's because they've just got so much music on it.

The filling up of the back catalog is a smart move

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Bad
    beatports not bad, that and junodownload are pretty much all i use, been using beatport less and less though as most of what i want i find on junodownload, prefere juno's website and prefere browsing on it, find beatport really headwrecking since the upgrade, really puts me off using it, i find it slow and i hate the way a track youd been previously listing to automatically plays if you do a search for a new artist, its just little things like that on it at do my head in.

Excellent
    beatport is miles beyond anything else on the market.

Easiest for quickly navigating around labels, artists, genres etc., and the most intuitive for finding new music.

the proof of how good beatport is is really in the way it is not the cheapest online music store (far from it), yet it is the dominant force in the market, by a bloody long shot (between 80-85% from what I remember).

tbh if most profitable labels stopped selling on all other sites except beatport, it wouldn't really make a difference.

main people who knock beatport are

1) labels who can't get on it because they're sh1t
    2) people so out of touch with electronic music it's not funny (and complain about the lack of 'banging choonage').
    3) people who don't like the flash interface (perfectly legitimate complaint imo, but i'd say if many spent a while messing around with it, they'd see how intuitive an interface it is).

Excellent
    brianc27 wrote: »
    i hate the way a track youd been previously listing to automatically plays .
    i only noticed this last week when someone pointed this out to me, and it's really bloody annoying. i'm sure they'll have it fixed soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I don't buy mp3's, but if i did i'd be much more inclined to buy direct from the label.

Bad

main people who knock beatport are

1) labels who can't get on it because they're sh1t
    2) people so out of touch with electronic music it's not funny (and complain about the lack of 'banging choonage').
    3) people who don't like the flash interface (perfectly legitimate complaint imo, but i'd say if many spent a while messing around with it, they'd see how intuitive an interface it is).

but beatport has its fair share of **** labels, i've come across a hell of alot more random labels churning out really **** generic house music (in all its forms) on beatport then on any other digital download site, although in fairness i did read that beatport had a big clearout of alot of the really **** random labels that were on it so i presume that has improved some what, i havent really been on the site all that much since the upgrade.

I honestly think alot of beatports popularity is in the marketing, it took the digital download thing by the scruff and threw itself out there before any other website did. I dont see how it is better then some other sites, hence why i hardly ever buy of it these days. I know lads that would sit there and argue that beatports the best website in the world for digital music but when you ask them what other digital download sites they use, it will draw a blank.

Excellent
    brianc27 wrote: »
    but beatport has its fair share of **** labels, i've come across a hell of alot more random labels churning out really **** generic house music (in all its forms) on beatport then on any other digital download site, although in fairness i did read that beatport had a big clearout of alot of the really **** random labels that were on it so i presume that has improved some what, i havent really been on the site all that much since the upgrade.

I honestly think alot of beatports popularity is in the marketing, it took the digital download thing by the scruff and threw itself out there before any other website did. I dont see how it is better then some other sites, hence why i hardly ever buy of it these days. I know lads that would sit there and argue that beatports the best website in the world for digital music but when you ask them what other digital download sites they use, it will draw a blank.
    fair points.

just about the quality control thing. beatport have come down really hard on this now, basically kicking a lot of people off. you have to have 300 euro turnover per quarter to stay on (although they do make exceptions, in other words: if you're not a sh1te label, they'll let you stay).

As has been said before it's harder to get on to beatport than any other site, although that doesn't stop the flood of sh1t every day appearing.

But hey, find the labels you like and go exploring. I can spend hours on there just going through hundreds of tracks.

Just don't go into the new release section and start previewing every one.

Bad

But hey, find the labels you like and go exploring. I can spend hours on there just going through hundreds of tracks.

Just don't go into the new release section and start previewing every one.

yea thats what i do, but ive often gone into the techno section just in teh hope id stumble across a good track on a label i never knew existed and shifted through pages upon pages of muck, but yea, i mainly just look for what i know.

i just think that at this point in time beatport is no better or no worse then alot of other digital download sites, it serves its purpose reasonably well, but its not the be all and end all of digital downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Bad
    i dislike beatport for the following reasons:

1) takes way too long to load. very often i might, for example, be reading about a track and want to very quickly check it out.

2) ugly, ugly inteface. i'm sorry, that may sound shallow but when i'm forced to look at a bile-y puke colour, it makes me not want to stay there and browse!

3) being forced to listen to the part of the track they deem the most appropriate. admittedly this is how most places operate but i do love the "needle drop", to any part of the track, available on djdownload.

4) the prices.

on the positive side, they do have a great selection and good exclusives and they are smart enough to make it easy to browse and purchase.
    i agree with brianc27 in that they have the largest market share mainly because they've had the largest marketing budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Good
    Just another example of Hawtin's business interests....christ, he must be raking it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

They don't do downloads do they? AFAIK they only deliver cds and vinyl. Pity

Advertisement