Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 mobile connects to internet every morning at 6 (without asking!)

• 17-05-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Folks. I'm on O2 prepay and recently (3 weeks ago) bought an LG KP500 Cookie from O2.

Today I logged into my O2 account and downloaded the Excel sheet listing the calls and connections for the last 30 days. I was baffled to find that the mobile had made an internet connection all by itself every morning at 6:00am (sometimes 6:01 or 6:02). The data volume used is between 9 and 13 kB. Needless to say, I have been billed for these connections.

What's going on here? Any ideas? I have looked through all settings I could find and came up with nothing. In case you think I downloaded something dodgy: don't think so. These self-connections started before I ever went online with the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Check the applications security settings. See if you have an application that has full permissions to access data connections without prompt.

Things like weather apps and email programs do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

For sure

its some application trying to serve you and o2 :)

check one by one

Also just change some details in access points or internet connection and it will disable any software trying and then use phone normally .

Some software might ask you that they are unable to connect for auto update feature or something like live update .

But do remember what up di so you can put it back after you solved the problem

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Geometrix

I will give O2 a ring tomorrow. Let them sort out this mess, I have already looked through all settings. And - I want some money back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Geometrix wrote: »
    I will give O2 a ring tomorrow. Let them sort out this mess, I have already looked through all settings. And - I want some money back!

Its your phone rather than o2. They may give you some credit, they dont have to though!

Check your 'access points' and 'Packet data conn'

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

In case you think I downloaded something dodgy: don't think so.
    I'd double and triple check that it's not something you've changed on the phone before blaming the operator. They run full qualification tests on handsets before they go to market. Assuming that it is actually an O2 supplied phone.

• Advertisement

ArseBurger wrote: »
    I'd double and triple check that it's not something you've changed on the phone before blaming the operator. They run full qualification tests on handsets before they go to market. Assuming that it is actually an O2 supplied phone.

It is O2 supplied (as I wrote in my original post). And I have certainly changed none of the connection settings (what for???).

By the way, apart from myself I don't know a single person who is on prepay AND who checks what they have been billed for. Most people just top up when credit gets low, no question asked! Not a healthy behaviour, financially speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you installed or run any apps since you got the phone? Even if you didnt change any settings - the automatic settings may decide to go online for an update etc, thus causing your phone connecting and charging you credit. This is not an O2 issue. Its your phone not theirs. You are just using their network.

GBX wrote: »
    Have you installed or run any apps since you got the phone? Even if you didnt change any settings - the automatic settings may decide to go online for an update etc, thus causing your phone connecting and charging you credit. This is not an O2 issue. Its your phone not theirs. You are just using their network.

If any apps that were supplied with the phone cause the connections, then it IS an O2 issue.

And, as I wrote in my original post: "These self-connections started before I ever went online with the phone."

Yeah and again ... its your phone - not theirs. Therefore you need to check which applications are using your internet. Ive never had a phone from O2 automatically connect to the internet. The only time it connects is if I install and app and allow it to go online.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you any RSS feeds that update at that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If any apps that were supplied with the phone cause the connections, then it IS an O2 issue.

And, as I wrote in my original post: "These self-connections started before I ever went online with the phone."

The only thing o2 can do for you is to disable data on your account. Ring them and ask for it to be disabled, or ask on their forum

GBX wrote: »
    Ive never had a phone from O2 automatically connect to the internet.

And that proves that my phone doesn't either? Thank you for the insight.

And that proves that my phone doesn't either? Thank you for the insight.

It proves nothing ... Your automatically blaming o2 for your internet woes and sounds like your not accepting something you may have done could be causing the charges. As Davy said, get them to disable data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Turn your phone off at night. If it is an automatic update service, the perpetrating service may bring itself to the foreground when you switch your phone on in the morning, as it has missed its scheduled update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do you have email set up? could be auto checking it as the handset doesnt have push email, it isnt really O2's issue if your phone is connecting, they can disable data usage on it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

O2 aren't going to be able to help you at all.

You need to find out what you have done to cause this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

handy weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

testicle wrote: »
    O2 aren't going to be able to help you at all.

You need to find out what you have done to cause this.

Easy up there, will ya? :)

Not everyone is a techie.

There is no question it is a program waking up and updating. See if O2 can tell you what site is being accessed, it should give you an idea what application it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭JDxtra

And eh, how much is this costing you? Is it even worth bothering with?

3 weeks at 13 c, 1 c/kb = 21*.13 = €2.73

Tough times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Baza210 wrote: »
    3 weeks at 13 c, 1 c/kb = 21*.13 = €2.73

Tough times.

Prepay data is 99c per day to use so thats over 20 quid, even if the phone just updated something or checked he'd be charged 99c regardless if he used it again himself throughout the day

O2 cant see what you're accessing either so just switch off the auto updates on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

krudler wrote: »
    Prepay data is 99c per day to use so thats over 20 quid, even if the phone just updated something or checked he'd be charged 99c regardless if he used it again himself throughout the day

O2 cant see what you're accessing either so just switch off the auto updates on the phone

Not necessarily. You are charged per kilobyte up to 99c, then you are given 50MB of data. If you use less than 99c of data, that's all you're charged for.

krudler wrote: »

1c per kb < 99kb. 13kb < 99kb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jonathan wrote: »
    Have you any RSS feeds that update at that time?

+1 on this. My S.E. updates the RSS feeds at 6:00 a.m. every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP, I'll second what most have said in this thread.
    • Firstly contact O2 and ask them to disable your data. You've become aware of the problem now and further blaming O2 when you know your being charged just isn't going to work.
    • What applications have you installed on the phone since you got it? Check each one to ensure it's not connecting to the internet at regular times
    • Have you played with RSS feeds (under messaging or internet usually)? Check and make sure they're disabled and there's no auto-update
    • Have you setup your email on it? Again, check it's not set to auto-update
    • Does the phone have an internet button? Do you set your phone alarm for the same time every morning? Are you hitting the internet button when trying to turn the alarm off?
    • Failing that I suggest you backup your numbers / photos / whatever and perform a factory reset on the phone. You will then be able to start from scratch and will find out soon enough what's causing it I would imagine.

Hope some of this helps, let us know how you get on.

Advertisement