Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 Berlingo Towbar

• 17-05-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

Could anyone tell me a good place in the Kildare area to get a towbar for a 2006 Citreon Berlingo? I don't want to spend a fortune either. If i was to buy one and install it myself, is there much envolved in wiring up the connection for trailer lights?

Thanks,
    dhev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

I got mine off micks garage about 2-3 years ago. I didn't really research prices but it was delivered quickly and had all the instructions!!

Looking at your quickly its €165 with wiring kit, delivered.
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=194646&pk=4B224

Not sure if it's the right model of your van thou!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

kodak wrote: »
    I got mine off micks garage about 2-3 years ago. I didn't really research prices but it was delivered quickly and had all the instructions!!

Looking at your quickly its €165 with wiring kit, delivered.
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=194646&pk=4B224

Not sure if it's the right model of your van thou!!

Cheers mate! That was a seriously quick reply. Will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

The wiring's not to bad, you just match up the wires goin out to the socket to ones in a rear light.. just follow a diagram & use scotchlocks, make an easy job of it! Try keep it tidy tho, somt put all the scotchlocks at the one point in the cable or ya'll end up with a big ball of them!!

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

wiring.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...you'd be surprised, but a main dealer one might be cheaper........did you ask? And, it'll come pre-wired as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont suppose the Beringo uses the same towbar as the 97-06 Expert/Dispatch? I have a spare one I plan on selling when I get around to putting an ad on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

www.miw.ie are coming up €151 ish delivered. Might be able to get it for less if you collect from co. Laois.

About the same cost again to get it fitted.

R.O.R wrote: »
    www.miw.ie are coming up €151 ish delivered. Might be able to get it for less if you collect from co. Laois.

About the same cost again to get it fitted.

Cheers mate, this looks like a seriously good option. Checked a price in a car parts shop. 200 euro. Extreme differences in prices.

Hi,
    I got a Bosal towbar and a universal ready wired trailer socket for 140 euro.
    I installed the towbar easily.
    But when it came to wiring the trailer socket i was unsure how the rear lights are wired in the 2006 Berlingo. There's 3 different possible ways to wire in the trailer socket.
    1.connecting the trailer socket directly to the rear lights.(Handy)
    2.running power back from van battery and using relays to the rear lights(pain in the a*se)
    3.or if multiplex wiring is used, a connection is required to plug into the system.

Could anyone tell me which way to wire the trailer socket?

Thanks,
    dhev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We-Fit in Newbridge are the cheapest I've encountered for fitting towbars, I'm sure they'd oblige in wiring it up for you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We-Fit in Newbridge are the cheapest I've encountered for fitting towbars, I'm sure they'd oblige in wiring it up for you.

Cheers mate, but i'm fairly skint and would prefer doing the job myself.
    Does anyone know which way the rear lights are wired in the berlingo and the best way to wire in a pre wired trailer socket?

Cheers,
    dhev

• Advertisement

dhev wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a Bosal towbar and a universal ready wired trailer socket for 140 euro.
    I installed the towbar easily.
    But when it came to wiring the trailer socket i was unsure how the rear lights are wired in the 2006 Berlingo. There's 3 different possible ways to wire in the trailer socket.
    1.connecting the trailer socket directly to the rear lights.(Handy)
    2.running power back from van battery and using relays to the rear lights(pain in the a*se)
    3.or if multiplex wiring is used, a connection is required to plug into the system.

Could anyone tell me which way to wire the trailer socket?

Thanks,
    dhev

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This guy can help you if you have the patience to sign up ot that forum.

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=101268

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

It is normal wiring.

Just split the wiring at the socket.

Check your diagram for the coulours of the wires and seperate your two sets of wires.

Insulate and run along the towbar to either side.

Remove both rear lamps if you look down under where the lamps sat there is two gaps between the body and the bumper run your wires up through this.

Get you test lamp and check for power at the conector for the lamps when you work the lights do one light at a time.

You can either use Scotch locks or solder the wires onto the vehicle loom and insulate using tape as a way of connecting (I prefer the later)If you use scotch locks space them out or you wont be able to refit the lamp.

Earth wire I usually drill a hole in the body behind the light and secure it using an eye connection and self tapper screw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I
    You can either use Scotch locks.
    NOOOOOO!!!

They are a quick fix and are a balls of a job. They weaken the wire and break the insulation leaving it open to water ingress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check out e-bay. Got one last week for my Berlingo for €104 delivered. Only took three days to be delivered. Fitted and wired it myself in less than an hour. PM me if you want a link to the ad.

I've fitted the towbar already, but havin bother wiring the socket. Do i wire the rear light and the brake light to the same wire since they both go to the same bulb?
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

dhev wrote: »
    I've fitted the towbar already, but havin bother wiring the socket. Do i wire the rear light and the brake light to the same wire since they both go to the same bulb?
    Cheers!
    Seriously, if you dont know the answer to the question then you shouldnt be doing it.

I dont mean to be harsh when I say that but at the end of the day paying someone a few quid to wire it for ya and getting it right the first time is in your better interest.

just finished wiring the towbar. Simple job when i got at it. Didn't know there was two elements in the rear light bulb for the brake light. Cheers for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flootytootie

Dont suppose the Beringo uses the same towbar as the 97-06 Expert/Dispatch? I have a spare one I plan on selling when I get around to putting an ad on adverts.

Do you still want to sell a towbar for 2006 Dispatch? if so how much?
    086 3767467

Advertisement