Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Rathnew (?) Cemetery, Co Kildare ?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Howdy.

I'm trying to trace the final resting place of a family member who passed away in the 60's. I have little or no information other than they may be buried in a cemetery somewhere between Suncroft & Kilcullen , co Kildare.

I can rule out Newbridge graveyard, Suncroft Cemetery (both the old one, past Brownstown on the road from The Curragh, and the newer one, just past Suncroft village itself) and obviously the Curragh Military cemetery, but I cant find any information on other relevant graveyards in the area.

The only information I DO have is that an elderly relative believes that there are a series of steep-ish steps involved to access the cemetery grounds, and it's possibly called "Rathnew" cemetery, but it's definitely not the one in Wicklow.

Google says "no", however.

If anyone out there feels they can outperform Google, and has any ideas, hints, tips, clues or whatever, It'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Old Kilcullen (where the round tower is)???

Try asking Mario Corrigan in Newbridge Library. He's an expert on local history and may have an idea or two. I'm very familiar with the area and can't think of any such place name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.interment.net might help you.

The one in Wicklow is the one I know too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cafi

It's on N78 as you travel from Kilcullen to Athy. It's past a turn off to Calverstown after this turn look out for steps on left hand side at top of hill no sign marks it

Advertisement