Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths Proofs

Options
  • 17-05-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anybody have a complete list of maths proofs that you need to know for higher level?

separate lists for paper 1 and paper 2 would be very helpful!

Comments

As far as I know...

The trigonometric identites (12 or so I believe),
    The factor theorem,
    The 3 differentiation rules from first principles,
    De Moivre's Theorem proof?

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. Have a rummage through this: http://www.knocklyoncs.ie/maths/lc_maths_sy.pdf, and you're bound to find them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

For paper one anyway, there's:

The Factor Theorem
    De Moivre's Theorem
    De Moivre's Theorem for negative integers.
    The 3 differentiation ones- The addition, product & quotient rules.
    The Differentiation-y- Induction-y one.
    ]The 3 types of Induction.

I think that's it. I hope so anyway, as they're the only proofs I've done for the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I haven't learnt any proofs yet! my grind teacher is aaaaaaaaaaaaalways going on about how important they are, which they are. :o I hope no proofs come up

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

If I'm remembering correctly from last year, there's always a proof somewhere.
    I could never learn them myself, but when it comes to maths I don't learn things off, I practice. Doesn't work for me with proofs.
    With regard to maths in general, you usually can't learn the rules off by heart and do well. You need to understand. However, if you've a good general comprehension of maths, and you can learn 3/4 an A4 page off by heart, the proofs should come to you quite easily. They're always methodical and logical, as is mathematics.
    At the very least learn the diagram and try a few lines of a proof. You'll get attempt marks.
    And from viewing my leaving cert script, those attempts really add up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

you need the product and quotient rule from differentiation too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

Fairly sure you need to know how to prove the distance from a point to a line formula too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

All the proofs you need for paper one and two are at the back of the respective Less Stress More Success books. That is about the only use for the less stress books though!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Algebra: -Factor Theorem for polynomials with degree 2 (squared) or 3
    (cubed)
    - De Moivre's Theorem, by induction.

Geometry: -Perpendicular distance
    -Angle beyween two lines (m1+m2 etc)
    -Equations of tangent at (x1, y1) to x(sqd)+y(sqd)= r(sqd)
    -Transformations

Trig: -cos(sqd) + sin(sqd) = 1
    - cosine rule
    - cos(A+B)
    - cos2A
    - Sin(A+B)
    - sin2A
    - Tan(A+B)
    - Tan2A
    - Cos2A (in terms of tan)
    - Sin2A (ditto)
    - Cos(sqd)A
    - Sin(sqd)A

Functions
    and calculus: - From first priciples: x(sqd), x(cubed), sinx, cosx, square root of x, one over x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Everyone's forgotten about the difference equation one which no one knows. It could also come up this year since it hasn't in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I did the LC last year and all I can remember is that since 1994 the proof of the quotient rule has never come up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Varyn

If I remember correctly (and it has been almost a year since i even thought about this so I could be mixed up!) my maths teacher said that every year proofs count for 10% of Maths (Paper 1 and 2) altogether. Think I also remember seeing if she was right - during my attempts to avoid actual study! And she was!
    Proofs are really important! I spent ages at them and once you get them you're sorted cos they can't throw in any twists!

Advertisement