Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Dog, What should I do?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Me and the kids were out walking the dog on Friday afternoon, we went into the woods and we let her have a run.

Something caught her eye deep in the woods and she chased after it.

I knew then what a mistake I had made letting of her lead.

Since then we have spent every hour looking for her, but no sign.

Ive searched the local area, Looked on the side of the roads, but no sign of her.

I was going to call the local Warden on Monday morning to see if she has been handed in.

Also I was thinking of putting up posters, offering a reward.

But heres my prediciment, She isnt insured or licenced. So what happens if shes gone and bit some farm animal, I am most likely going to be sued.

She is only a small dog, a lab cross, but she hates other animals.

I know I should have licensed her, and to be honest im not bothered about paying the small fine, it would be worth it to get her back, but its the issue about not having insurance on her.

I really want to try everything to find her, but Im worried about any liability I may have. I cant afford to be sued at the moment.

And its been 3 nights now since she went missing, we have gone back and tried everything, from putting her toys out for her, placing her bed, even leaving food there.

But nothing, not a trace.

There are houses near the forrest, full of chickens, cats. She hates other animals including chickens or cats, so I cant see here being there.

But then I really dont know where she could of gone.

Any Advice, apart from how stupid I am.

Me and the kids are so upset, we have lost such a dear member of our family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I do feel for your loss, I can't imagine losing one of my pets.

I assume if you've no license or insurance, you don't have her microchipped? Because if she got brought in anywhere they would know within seconds whose dog it was.

I would contact the warden, any local pounds /SPCAs, possibly even the local garda station just to see if anyones been in with a dog or mentioned it.
    Putting up posters isn't a bad idea either, picture and number and hopefully someone somewhere will have seen her. I would also knock on the few houses that back onto the wood that you said are there, just ask if they've seen your dog around.

I'm afraid I've no idea regarding liability if your dog does something but I do hope you get her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

star-pants wrote: »
    I do feel for your loss, I can't imagine losing one of my pets.

I assume if you've no license or insurance, you don't have her microchipped? Because if she got brought in anywhere they would know within seconds whose dog it was.

I would contact the warden, any local pounds /SPCAs, possibly even the local garda station just to see if anyones been in with a dog or mentioned it.
    Putting up posters isn't a bad idea either, picture and number and hopefully someone somewhere will have seen her. I would also knock on the few houses that back onto the wood that you said are there, just ask if they've seen your dog around.

I'm afraid I've no idea regarding liability if your dog does something but I do hope you get her back.

THanks for your advice.

Im heading back there now to put some posters up, any adivce on what information I should place on the poster?

Keep it simple or put things like her name & stuff.

Thanks.

I also forgot to ask -- has she even a collar on her? and a tag with contact number on it?

Big picture, put when and where she was lost, maybe even describe her colouring / size, any identifying features. I don't know why but I recall someone saying not to put the dogs name on posters, I could be wrong though. I would put a contact number maybe on strips at the bottom (as well as written on the poster) so if people don't have a pen/paper they can take the number.

Keep it simple though too, Lost, Picture, When/where, description and a contact number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hope that you get the dog back, definitely put posters up around the place, I'd also ring the local vets, garda stations and the dog warden tomorrow morning. If she was picked up and gone into the pound, she would only have 5 days before they could put her to sleep, so you really do need to phone them first thing tomorrow. There are also a fair few lost and found websites that you could put her up on, irishanimals.ie has one.

As regards, being sued, as far as I know, insurance doesn't cover for worrying animals anyway, so even if she was insured, it wouldn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bubski

I had my dog stolen on me before - I was very lucky to get her back but the week inbetween I tried everything which included:

Putting up posters - in the area she was stolen, not only on lamp posts etc but in community areas such as schools

Rang all the vets in the area (they are quite good and I had to go in indentify a dead dog as they thought it may be mine) but if someone has the dog & if your one has no micro chip they would have to bring it to the vet to have the chip read regardless so its good to leave them a photo.

Kennels - ring & describe the dog

Pounds - they need a picture, but ring anyway

Local rag - I had mine in the evening heald, surprising amount of people called which had seen the dog all over Dublin!

Websites - Lostandfound.ie quite good

Local Radio - some may allow to place an add.

Talk to people in the area, word gets around

Last of all, dont give up hope & dont give up trying, I got my pooch back.

With the public liability question, its something i would worry about later if it should happen, dont let that stop you in searching for your dog

Good Luck X

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

you could try putting it up on www.lost.ie - worth a try

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your kind words and help.

I spent most of last night out looking for her, but no luck.

This morning I contacted Wardens in and around the area, and various Dog shelters, and SPCA centres. But still no luck.

I was even told by one kind lady at a SPCA centre that you have to watch the wardens, some of them have no intention of helping you find your dog and enjoy putting the animal down after 5 days!

I was also informed that there is a gang going around Ireland, and in my area (Roscommon/Mayo) at the moment who are actually kidnapping dogs.

They think they can breed them, and if the dog isnt a pedigree or cant have pups they kill the animal and leave it on the side of the road.

Im really worried for her now.

I have been placing posters all around the area all day, but I'm starting to loose hope now, especially after hearing about the dog napping gang.

Its surprising how empty you feel inside when you loose a pet. You spend everyday thinking of them hoping they are ok and not lying in a ditch somewhere.

Please take good care of your own pets, and be careful of the gang that is going around.

Thanks again for your help,
    and I will let you know if I hear anything further.

Please do let us know if you find her. I can't imagine how you must be feeling with her lost out there/with dognappers :( *hug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was even told by one kind lady at a SPCA centre that you have to watch the wardens, some of them have no intention of helping you find your dog and enjoy putting the animal down after 5 days!

I was also informed that there is a gang going around Ireland, and in my area (Roscommon/Mayo) at the moment who are actually kidnapping dogs.

They think they can breed them, and if the dog isnt a pedigree or cant have pups they kill the animal and leave it on the sode of the road.

How sick can people be?

i really hope your dog returns home or is found. the poor little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Contact the wardens in neighbouring counties/areas. I live in Cork and I know of a dog who was lost out walking and turned up 3 weeks later in Dungarvan 50 miles away. It was microchipped so it was reunited with its owner straight away. God only knows how it got there - it certainly didn't walk, the owners think someone must have picked it up and then dumped it because it was found at a filling station.
    Hope you find your girl soon.

It may be also worth your while making contact with local gun clubs which have many members out and about the countryside and may just spot something for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Ring the local vets as well. You would be surprised the amount of dogs abandoned at the vets.

Ok so its midnight and im just back in the house.

I tried looking for her during different hours but still no luck.

I even put some posters further afield.

Just have a few questions.

Its been 4 nights now thats she has been missing, what sort of distance could a dog travel during that time?

Would she travel or would she seek shelter in a nearby house? (She is a friendly dog, buy if she dosent know you she barks and seems agresive. She isnt agresive however, she would lick someone and not bite.

Could she still be in the woods living wild? She is a small to medium sized dog.

How many posters are enough? Ive put them in a 5 mile radius around the area we lost her.

Will give the other ideas a go tommorow, (Vets, Gun clubs etc).

Thanks for the help all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't give up, we lost our previous dog for 11 days in a woods, she had a collar on with the ring of the id tag which was in the process of being replaced but she was microchipped. Turned out she hadn't gone far she managed to get out of the woods and followed a woman home they kept her. We put up posters in the woods itself and in the local shop but it was a combination of the poster in the woods and a radio plea that led us to her.

Bros gf dog went missing recently and after a plea in the paper they finally found her so advertise like crazy and don't give you you should find the dog fingers crossed.

IVE FOUND MY DOG!!!!!!

Received a phone call this morning from a kind lady who had seen my poster.

She had found her and took her in.

Just picked her up, brought her home and given her a good wash and BIG CUDDLE!

Off to the vets shortly to have her checked over, and MAKE an appointment to have her chipped.

A MASSIVE THANKYOU to EVERYONE for all your advice, help and support.

YOU HAVE BEEN A MASSIVE help during this time, and my warmest thanks to you all.

Its a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well done for finding her and thank dog for kind ladies! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

That's brilliant news!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I'm soooooo HaPPy for you! PeRfeCt!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    IVE FOUND MY DOG!!!!!!

Received a phone call this morning from a kind lady who had seen my poster.

She had found her and took her in.

Just picked her up, brought her home and given her a good wash and BIG CUDDLE!

Off to the vets shortly to have her checked over, and MAKE an appointment to have her chipped.

A MASSIVE THANKYOU to EVERYONE for all your advice, help and support.

YOU HAVE BEEN A MASSIVE help during this time, and my warmest thanks to you all.

Its a great day.
    Woo Hoo!!
    Well done for persevering. It just shows that it pays off.
    Get her collared, tagged, microchipped, and that will put your mind at ease. I would not be letting her off the lead again cos if she's had a taste of that freedom she may do it again. Not that she will get the chance after what she's put you through!!
    She will probably sleep for a week after all that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

:) aww that is such a great news!
    well done for your hard work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

oh my god thats brilliant news -im delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

that actually brought a tear to my eye!!!

So so glad to see a happy ending!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Oh that is absolutely fantastic, I'm sooooo pleased for your family and your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Great ending to an unhappy story!!! im delighted for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Such good news! But you don't have to keep her on the lead for the rest of her life. Train her to come back by whistling, then when she comes, giving her treats and playing with her. When she's coming back reliably, fade out the treats - give them sometimes but not always.

And gwan, get her a licence. If every dog owner got a licence the company would probably surge out of recession! It's only €12.

Great news...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Thats fantastic news!!! I'm delighted for you and your family! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

That's great news. It just goes to show you that there are some really decent people out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement