Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrier line question

Options
  • 17-05-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My exchange is to be broadband enabled at the 4th quarter of this year,
    however my dial-up speeds are between 23-30kbs and on the telephone pole outside my house has a white box below the phone lines.
    would this mean that my line is split and no chance of ever receiving broadband?

I am the last house on my exchange also and about three miles from the exchange.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Sounds like you are on a carrier alright. If you never get more than 30k on dialup then you are most likely on a split line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

30k @ 3 miles sounds fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

You might be lucky so.

The white box doesn`t really mean anything. My line is connected through one of those and its not split/carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Doubtful you're on a pairgain if you have 30k at 3 miles, I wouldn't hold your breath even if you're not on a pairgain though. There is a decent chance your line might not be good enough if it drops to the lower end of what you posted regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lukej

Thanks for the replies guys, roll on the 4th quarter of the year to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You should get constant 30k ...or a constant 28k or whatever ..constant being the key.

Any noise or echo on that line that would warrant an engineer callout to stabilise matters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lukej

no line static or echos so everthing sems to be ok on the line.

Advertisement