Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another printing thread

• 17-05-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Ok so recently I was very lucky to come across an epson 7600. The printer needs to be callibrated so I havent used it a huge amount yet btu I've done some work on it. Anyway there were some pictures that I took and the colour wasnt right ont hem so I went to the local print shop for 8x10 prints. I was pretty happy with the quality and thought since they were so good I would use the store for all my 8x10 and keep the large printer for larger prints only.

So I went back to the print house for another job. Pictures seemed fine apart from one of two that seemed a little to bright. So when I went home I checked the priginals on the computer and realised the pictures were much much brighter than on screen. I took the pictures back in and showed the assistant on the screen how they looked. I got another copy of the 2 prints, which I paid for. These were even brighter. I asked for her to pritn again, still nothing, so I left quite disappointed. I printed myself and cpompared and ok mine werent overly bright but the tones werent spot on.

Next comes print shop number 2. This print shop I went to to get 6 8x10 prints. I was happy with the quality when I collected only for the fact that they only printed 5. I asked for them to print the 6th one which I had already paid for, it was closing time and the machine was turned off but I had paid for this and would not be coming back the next day again. I was quite happy when the man said he would do it again and stayed back all of around 10mns to do it. I walked away thinking now that was a good response to the problem and even though the original problem occured I would be back. The assistant had printed the full 6 prints again so I had 2 copies of 5 of them.

5 minutes later I compared the sets. One set was as is on screen and another set was a bit bright again. My query is how does this happen. 5 of the shots werre printed perfectly first time in second store and the second time they were printed less than an hour lated they were brighter again? This does not happen on my printer and can hardly be a callibration issue. I know if I went to Steve I would get perfect prints every time and this is what I hoep to be able to do myself, (for personal use only) when I get the printer callibrated. I'd just love to know why there can be such a difference between 2 shots printed on the same printer within an hour of each other with no edits whatsoever done on them.

I will upload pictures to show in a few.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

well

the second time, could it maybe be to do with the fact that he turn back on the system quickly to do your missing print

The system may not of had time to settle???

The other thing about mini lab prints is there are soooo many variables that the wrong persons doing the wrong thing can muck it all up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ok the second time the print was turned on quickly so maybe taht is it. Then again I was very disappointed witht he quality from the first store on the last occassion I went in there.

I will have to get the settings correct on my own printer so I dont have all that hassle.

if you stick to a decent paper, from one of the big brands, you should be able to download profiles from the web, with instructions for settings etc

yeah I got the good stuff but I think my colour is off. When I go to print it says callibration will be ignored since it is a post script printer??? Dont know what it means but will look into getting it sorted. On a good note though I did get the fuji hd canvas like what you use and the local framer framed one for a client of mine and has asked to hang one in his offices as a sample so it cant be off too much, just not a lot of contrast in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hey Rachel, I suggest you have a look at the PermaJet papers. They are just as good quality as Ilford pearl and slightly cheaper. Also, the big advantage is that they will generate a free custom ICC printer profile for you. So if you already have your monitor calibrated (which I assume you do) your workflow should now be spot on from camera to final print.

• Advertisement

actually

the permajet stuff is more expensive than the ilford paper that racheal is using

on rolls they are about 25% more expensive

Arciphel wrote: »
    Hey Rachel, I suggest you have a look at the PermaJet papers. They are just as good quality as Ilford pearl and slightly cheaper. Also, the big advantage is that they will generate a free custom ICC printer profile for you. So if you already have your monitor calibrated (which I assume you do) your workflow should now be spot on from camera to final print.

Thanks Paul always a wealth of knowledge from you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Once ya calibrate, set up iccs and printer profiles, it's nearly impossible to get a decent print, the only time I've seen it mess up was simply the ambient light in the room changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Prints in a minilab can be very hit and miss at times. It depends on the quality of the machine, if the chemicals are at the correct temprature and if the paper has been conditioned and stored properly. Most of the time you could do everything correct only for your prints to be messed up by in incompetent or lazy fool behind the lab!

Chochese wrote: »
    Prints in a minilab can be very hit and miss at times. It depends on the quality of the machine, if the chemicals are at the correct temprature and if the paper has been conditioned and stored properly. Most of the time you could do everything correct only for your prints to be messed up by in incompetent or lazy fool behind the lab!

Well that may be the case but what irritated me most was the fact that some of these prints were the same image within an hour of each other. I think I am just going to work on getting all my images done myself anyway.

I am attaching some pictures to show the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

When you're in a minilab there's usually 2 ways of sending prints to the printer, from the kiosks out front and from the image controller computer connected straight to the printer. As you say that the lab was in the process of closing I can imagine the technician put your images through on the image controller unit, and not the kiosks. From personal experience I have found the prints from these 2 units differ, sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot!

Just a guess, but that's probably what happened here...

Advertisement