Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin 'cliché' Carney

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

How is Carney on the tele? Absolute clueless and very bias towards Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Yep. As I said in the very first post, he's unbearable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Time to BUMP this I think. Why in the f*ck was Carney commentating today? Why not bring in McStay or even Tommy Carr to give at least a semi-neutral opinion. Any major game that Mayo or Donegal are involved in, they wheel out Carney. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Marty Morrissey was the only man ever to be born inside out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

There's a shortage of decent co-commentators on RTE, hence Carney is used. I'm sure McStay is on the Sunday Game tonight so they are sharing out the licence fee by using as many of the line up as they can! Carney is terrible, he regularly calls fouls incorrectly or reads the situation exactly the opposite of what is happening. He is so bad when Mayo are playing it's actually very funny and he is getting as bad as that when Donegal are playing too.

Tommy Carr is shocking though and I wouldn't be pushing him over any one they have really.

Overall though, apart from Brolly (and he was even very general about it and included both teams in knocking the negativity of the game) there is a big shift in RTE in the last 2 years towards Donegal and McGuinness. They were very harsh on them when they emerged but it's just a total love in now, you are not allowed to say anything specifically negative about them. That has to be a directive, it's so obvious. I'm not saying they deserve it (or Kery either) but can you imagine the analysis today if Tyrone and Armagh had served up that game?

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Overall though, apart from Brolly (and he was even very general about it and included both teams in knocking the negativity of the game) there is a big shift in RTE in the last 2 years towards Donegal and McGuinness. They were very harsh on them when they emerged but it's just a total love in now, you are not allowed to say anything specifically negative about them. That has to be a directive, it's so obvious.

I reckon this is because they know that of they were overly negative about Donegal, McGuinness would probably tell RTÉ to shove their interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

My good Martin Carney is painful to listen too. Very bias in his views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

He's one serious pain in the hole,all right.
    Talk about stating the obvious,and repeating what that other muppet (Marty) was ramaishing about
    WHAT is his role,exactly,?? it has to be to annoy the shy t out of the TV public,because his tactical role as a"second pair of eyes"ie what's going on on the sideline,? Team switches, off the ball incidences, etc etc are non-existent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He is painful to listen to, just painful. The amount of times he got the words Donegal and Tyrone mixed up was just ridiculous.

I don't know why they can't bring in the recently retired players and have them do some co commentary work. It is time to put dinosaurs like Carney out to pasture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He is painful to listen to, just painful. The amount of times he got the words Donegal and Tyrone mixed up was just ridiculous.

I don't know why they can't bring in the recently retired players and have them do some co commentary work. It is time to put dinosaurs like Carney out to pasture.
    Just tuned in and out of the coverage today, my god rte are terrible, exact same format, same commentators, same analysts, god forbid they'd try anything new or a bit different...do they even show the scores as they happen from the other games?
    And henry shefflin on the hurling, great hurler but my god has rte ever listened to him, will be just the same clichéd rubbish delivered as a speech...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

At least he has the longest running thread on boards, six years!!! :eek::D

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Just tuned in and out of the coverage today, my god rte are terrible, exact same format, same commentators, same analysts, god forbid they'd try anything new or a bit different...do they even show the scores as they happen from the other games?
    And henry shefflin on the hurling, great hurler but my god has rte ever listened to him, will be just the same clichéd rubbish delivered as a speech...

Yeah, as much respect as we all have for his 10 All Irelands, I'm not holding my breath that we'll hear anything all that earth shattering from the bould Henry.

It would be great if RTE sent all these high profile, recently retired players around the country to commentate on the actual games themselves, as they are being played. Instead, we'll get the usual stuff, of former players parked on comfortable sofas in Monrose, giving their opinions on games that they probably weren't at, that took place hours earlier, where they all have ages think up things to say that won't offend anyone. It doesn't exactly make for scintillating viewing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think Carney used the phrase "Paragon of Fortitude" or something similar today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Listened to the first half on RTE radio, Ger Canning kept calling Martin mcelhinney, Martin mcelkenny. It was bloody annoying as he must have touched the ball more than any other player in the first half. The lack of preparation that lad puts into matches is something else.
    Tommy Carr wasn't much better.

tanko wrote: »
    Listened to the first half on RTE radio, Ger Canning kept calling Martin mcelhinney, Martin mcelkenny. It was bloody annoying as he must have touched the ball more than any other player in the first half. The lack of preparation that lad puts into matches is something else.
    This thread should be renamed to a rte gaa coverage is ****e thread, watched the Sunday game expecting a preview of the Clare/limerick game, nothing, too tight to get the hurling boys in! Compared to the rugby coverage, with that against the head hyping nothing pro 12 games, the gaa doesn't get a look in as regards preview/review shows, but sure they need to spend the 160 euro on turbidys salary rather than providing proper coverage of our native games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

tanko wrote: »

Carol Lacey
    Conor McAahliskey

As I sat in traffic, in the rain, unable to get home to watch the game on TV these pronunciations were more than mildly infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Carol Lacey
    Conor McAahliskey

As I sat in traffic, in the rain, unable to get home to watch the game on TV these pronunciations were more than mildly infuriating!

Yeah, Canning called Karl Lacey "Carol" for the entire All Ireland final last year aswell. It's more than a tad bizarre really!
    Carney also has an inability to pronounce a few very obvious names...inability to see what's actually going on really IMO. I don't blame these people, I blame whoever in RTE continually wheels them out game after game, season after season. Carney has been doing this since the 90's by now like.

This thread should be renamed to a rte gaa coverage is ****e thread, watched the Sunday game expecting a preview of the Clare/limerick game, nothing, too tight to get the hurling boys in! Compared to the rugby coverage, with that against the head hyping nothing pro 12 games, the gaa doesn't get a look in as regards preview/review shows, but sure they need to spend the 160 euro on turbidys salary rather than providing proper coverage of our native games...

really? you were expecting a preview of the hurling?
    that'd be more mid week GAA program.
    If there was one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I moaned about Ger Cannings pronunciations above but in general I think RTE do a good job. I hate when Brolly starts acting like someone just killed his dog but I've made peace with the panelists over time.

This weekend wasn't a great opening programme, not because they didnt show hurling but because they only showed 2 minutes each of the other games that took place in Connacht and Leinster.

Was there not a show called 'The Breaking Ball' on mid week last year? 2FM also do preview shows midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Carney should have been sacked on the spot 2 years ago, the time Sean Cavanagh pulled down the Monaghan forward deliberately as he was "going through".
    Carney was spouting off that it was a red card offence as it was a "professional foul", even though there is no such GAA rule, and he was clearly getting mixed up with soccer.
    How any GAA expert could make such a mistake is flabbergasting, how RTE could persist with them even more so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mentioning the phrase "professional foul" in relation to GAA is another thing that should be a death penalty offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah, as much respect as we all have for his 10 All Irelands, I'm not holding my breath that we'll hear anything all that earth shattering from the bould Henry.

It would be great if RTE sent all these high profile, recently retired players around the country to commentate on the actual games themselves, as they are being played. Instead, we'll get the usual stuff, of former players parked on comfortable sofas in Monrose, giving their opinions on games that they probably weren't at, that took place hours earlier, where they all have ages think up things to say that won't offend anyone. It doesn't exactly make for scintillating viewing. :rolleyes:

It's a highlight show. I think that's the point. The analysis on the evening show is usually quite good, particularly when Whelan, McStay or O'Se are on the panel.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    really? you were expecting a preview of the hurling?
    that'd be more mid week GAA program.
    If there was one...

Well that's half the point, absolutely nothing on rte for a preview show, they'd usually do a preview on the Sunday game for the games the week after, as there was no hurling in last Sunday they didn't do any, probably cos they wouldn't get the boys in for just a preview, they need a proper preview show on a Friday night, with teams announced they could do a decent show, there's that 'zany and sideways' look at gaa show which isn't bad sometimes bit there is space for another show if they put any imagination or thought into it...

Bring back Breaking Ball. Best and simplest GAA show ever

Setanta's league review show was good.Nice friendly easy going manner and good analysis and they looked like they were enjoying themsleves doing it aswell.

It would be nice if i could be brought back for the championship.

There used to be a good championship review show on UTV years ago although understandly it focussed mainly on the Ulster teams.

Syferus wrote: »
    It's a highlight show. I think that's the point. The analysis on the evening show is usually quite good, particularly when Whelan, McStay or O'Se are on the panel.

I don't think it is all that good to be honest. There are too many former players on the show. They are all going to go out of their way not to slate their former comrades, or give a really honest opinion, or hand any sort of advantage to their own counties next opponents, or get mixed up in any "357 time All Ireland winner slams County X for doing heinous act Y" controversies.

Shows like the Sunday Game would really benefit from having proper journalists (like Malachy Clerkin, or Paul Kimmage) on, who are capable of relatively objective analysis. They are also well able to say stuff that is interesting to listen to, instead of all this smoke and mirrors/playing silly buggers crap. By all means, have the former players and managers on too, but mix it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I don't think it is all that good to be honest. There are too many former players on the show. They are all going to go out of their way not to slate their former comrades, or give a really honest opinion, or hand any sort of advantage to their own counties next opponents, or get mixed up in any "357 time All Ireland winner slams County X for doing heinous act Y" controversies.

Shows like the Sunday Game would really benefit from having proper journalists (like Malachy Clerkin, or Paul Kimmage) on, who are capable of relatively objective analysis. They are also well able to say stuff that is interesting to listen to, instead of all this smoke and mirrors/playing silly buggers crap. By all means, have the former players and managers on too, but mix it up a bit.

I'd agree entirely with that.

The presenters are a big problem aswell. Des Cahill has the charisma of a parsnip. Lyster, while ok, doesn't really stoke or add to a debate apart from trying to stop bickering between Brolly and everyone else. They even got to the point of having Spillane present it a couple of years ago, which was terrible.

Anyone who has seen the likes of the sports shows in Australia, the AFL or League Footy shows for example, will see how good a show can be if there's a bit of non-sterile banter allowed AND you have knowledgeable but interesting people involved. The League Footy show can do everything from vaudeville humour to hard-hitting interviews with star players. Danny Weidler accused Sonny Bill Williams of being a "greedy f*ck" to his face in an interview a few years back when he switched to Rugby Union.
    Can you imagine something like that happening with Des Cahill, Lyster, Marty Morrissey etc? Me neither.

The best GAA show currently in existence is Seó Spoirt on TG4, although Seán Bán Breathnach would wreck your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

Forget about more review shows, I think they should bring back the GAA soap opera "On home ground"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

He's back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seo Spoirt is a really decent show,Dara O Cinneide is an insightful presenter and the guests are usually intelligent in their input.Sean Ban isn't that bad,quite a character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

He so biased for cork! Poor and I'm not a cork person.

How many r t e commentators are from Mayo, never won anything

gally74 wrote: »

Carney is from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

gally74 wrote: »

There's quite a few from Mayo,quite a few from Kerry in the media too.Probably should be a better spread.

Not sure what relevance the number of medals you have in your back pocket has in relation to your ability to be a good commentator/analyst.An ex player who has won an All Ireland certainly can offer an interesting perspective but it doesn't guarantee that they'll be either a good co commentator or analyst.

Carney is from Donegal.

Played for Mayo!

Carney is a dreadful commentator. It beggars belief how often he's put on for Donegal and Mayo games and even when they're not involved he seems to show bias towards one side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement