Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniforms during exams

Options
  • 17-05-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else being forced to wear their uniforms during the LC? I thought the exams were nothing to do with the school, but my principal is adamant that if you don't wear the uniform you can't do the exam. Personally, my uniform is very uncomfortable, tight and too warm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Yep!! We have to...it's a pile of ****e. Wen we were doing the JC, my principle tried 2 stop my mate and I from doin our exams bcuz we weren't wearing our stuffy, horrible uniforms during the only nice week we had in 2007!!:mad: So, I'm not going to even try and get away with it this year...not worth the hassle!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Pfft, our principal says the same thing but, every year nobody wears their uniform. He can't stop everyone from doing the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

creggy wrote: »
    Pfft, our principal says the same thing but, every year nobody wears their uniform. He can't stop everyone from doing the leaving.

I'd love to do that but everybody in my school are very straight laced "Oh no, the principal said we can't so we can't" types.
    Sometimes it's so hard to be a rebel.

But seriously, my uniform is so awful. Also there's a MASSIVE rip in the skirt. I'm sick of stitching it, and I am not paying 60 euro for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

One thing my seems to get completely right, not even trying to make us wear it.

I did the sitting outside the centre thing a while back and no students were wearing uniform, so I'd imagine that hasnt changed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usually, candidates will wear the uniform on at least the first day. This is to make things easier for superintendents, primarily in large centres, but also where there are external candidates.

You can arrange to sit your exam elsewhere if you do not like the requirements of your school. They are obliging the Commission by allowing you to sit your exam in their premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

We're made to wear our uniforms aswell, and tbh its a rule i agree with, it gives me a sense of school and study, plus i get to rip the shirt open at the end!

Our principal has stopped people on the corridor and lectured them on their uniform before(i dont want that 15 mins before english!)! And i know for a fact that he didnt last year to about 3 or 4 studets and others told him he should have enforced the rule!

He gave some reason why he can do it aswell! Basically the rooms are being rented but school rules still apply or some bull like that.

Are people serious? Giving out about having to wear their uniforms during exams? That's just ridiculous. I wish people would stop looking for trivial reasons to "rebel" against the norm: must be some sort of petty teenage thing.

Oh, and by the way: It's up to the principal to let you sit your exams in the school: if you don't wear your uniform he/she has every right to not let you enter the exam hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Are people serious? Giving out about having to wear their uniforms during exams? That's just ridiculous. I wish people would stop looking for trivial reasons to "rebel" against the norm: must be some sort of petty teenage thing.

Oh, and by the way: It's up to the principal to let you sit your exams in the school: if you don't wear your uniform he/she has every right to not let you enter the exam hall.

My uniform is uncomfortable, too warm and to be quite frank after a year of work and lack of exercise, too tight. I would by no means go "F**k you school, I'm wearing a tshirt" and risk getting chucked out of my exams, but I don't understand why I can't wear what I would feel most comfortable and relaxed in. How is that a "Petty teenage thing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Aw, that sucks if you have to wear it, we're the only school around here that doesnt have to! In the assembly before the junior cert, our principal was like "O dont be wearing those uniforms during the exams, for gods sake you have to be as comfortable and relaxed in such a stressful time!!" :D
    She who freaks out when someone has the wrong coloured shoes or has buttons missing on their shirt :p

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Yes, perhaps it is. But, if a principal requests that all students wear their uniforms, and one doesn't, he has every right to not allow that student to sit the exam in "his/her" school.
    Sure, it's a bit petty that people decide to not wear a uniform even though they were asked to but in fairness I can think of no reason for people to have to wear them while sitting the exams and I can think of a few reasons why people shouldn't have to (stuffiness etc. can be distracting, which is not helpful during an exam).

I know, I agree: I know I'm not going to wear mine after the first few days (I didn't last year); but, I don't see the point of starting a thread to give out about it.
    phasers wrote: »
    My uniform is uncomfortable, too warm and to be quite frank after a year of work and lack of exercise, too tight. I would by no means go "F**k you school, I'm wearing a tshirt" and risk getting chucked out of my exams, but I don't understand why I can't wear what I would feel most comfortable and relaxed in. How is that a "Petty teenage thing"?

I suppose it's just the principal excercising their power over his/her students. But still, I doubt it being "uncomfortable, too warm... and too tight" is as bad as you imply, so what? It's a bit tight and uncomfortable: that's not the end of the world.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Your not in school anymore, you've graduated. Theres no reason for the uniform.

You are in school; where are you doing your exams? School.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Yep!! We have to...it's a pile of ****e. Wen we were doing the JC, my principle tried 2 stop my mate and I from doin our exams bcuz we weren't wearing our stuffy, horrible uniforms during the only nice week we had in 2007!!:mad: So, I'm not going to even try and get away with it this year...not worth the hassle!!:rolleyes:

We had it bad in 2007 for the JC because one of the weeks was roosting and the summer was horrible.

In my school the people sitting the JC have to wear uniform but LC don't because they graduated and are technically not students in the school.

I suppose it's just the principal excercising their power over his/her students. But still, I doubt it being "uncomfortable, too warm... and too tight" is as bad as you imply, so what? It's a bit tight and uncomfortable: that's not the end of the world.

I never claimed it to be, I would simply prefer to wear my own clothes and see no reason for the uniform to be worn.

..Not every thread has to be about an earth shattering event, this forum is for discussing the leaving cert exams. For me, this is an (albeit indirect) element of the exams, and I wanted to see if the uniform thing was implemented in other schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Aw, that sucks if you have to wear it, we're the only school around here that doesnt have to! In the assembly before the junior cert, our principal was like "O dont be wearing those uniforms during the exams, for gods sake you have to be as comfortable and relaxed in such a stressful time!!" :D
    She who freaks out when someone has the wrong coloured shoes or has buttons missing on their shirt :p

Jeez he she is real sound... We had to wear ours during the JC but not this time (thank God)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Man, we have to wear our uniforms next week if we're going to school even though we've graduated. The previous years all wore their own clothes. I heard that it has something to do with one of the teachers who's doing a PhD and one of the things they're researching is the effects of uniforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mr.S wrote: »
    How is it easier?

It's easier for superintendents (who generally do not teach in the school they're assigned to) to spot outsiders. It's mainly an issue where there are external candidates and 'school' candidates in the one large centre. As I said, one day is usually enough for most superintendents to learn the faces in their centre.

The SEC have no specific exam dress code, but if the exam is being held in a school, then the school's rules have precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I guess that's one of the few things I actually like about my school is that we don't have to wear it.

You know, I don't really see why schools couldn't just make a uniform that is comfortable to wear?

Anyways I've two more days and this won't apply to me ever again :)

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Outside candidates bring passports or similar for ID on the day, while school students are usually identified by the school exam secretary. It's just to make things easier on the day. If you're supervising and you know the only ones you need to closely check before starting are the ones not in uniform, it just makes things quicker.

I see no reason why from the second day on, candidates couldn't wear more comfortable clothing, but I'm not a school principal, so it's not up to me.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Outside candidates bring passports or similar for ID on the day, while school students are usually identified by the school exam secretary. It's just to make things easier on the day. If you're supervising and you know the only ones you need to closely check before starting are the ones not in uniform, it just makes things quicker.

I see no reason why from the second day on, candidates couldn't wear more comfortable clothing, but I'm not a school principal, so it's not up to me.

Thanks for making things clearer spurious, it kind of helps to know that there's a reason to it and they're not just being spiteful (:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

We have to wear our uniforms this year.

I remember last year during my History exam. I was crapping bricks I was so scared. Plus to make matters worse, the sun was shining that day and of course, it was shining onto my desk and it was roasting!

Our uniform is black jumper/grey shirt/grey pants and I was wearing a t-shirt under my shirt so I was on fire. It sucked so much, I couldn't concentrate at all. The stuffiness was unbearable.

This time, I think I'm the only one in my "room" doing history so I must grab a good seat. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We don't have to wear uniforms, but there's usually one or two who do cos it keeps them in exam mode. I do all my study in pyjama bottoms and a hoody, so I'll be doing the exams in trackie bottoms and a hoodie (tracksuit bottoms being the closest to pyjamas my mother will let me out of the house with)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

We've to wear our uniforms and we're not allowed to leave the exams early in our school, it sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I don't think we're wearing uniforms, and I'd really rather if we were tbh.

That way I wouldn't have to actually think about what I'm gonna wear tbh! I'm not a tracksuit-y kind of dresser, ever, I'm more of a dresses &funky clothes of some description kinda person. So effort of planning ahead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I find this whole conversation totally ridiculous.

The department requests to have access to run the exams in the school. The school then invites the students in that school to do their exams there. They can put conditions (school rules) on that invite if they wish. If you have problems with that you can request to do your exams at a different center.

Also regardless what some people have said above you do still represent the school you go/went to. That is not something that just disappears just because you no longer have formal classes. Regardless if you want to or not you will still be a symbol of that school for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

bythewoods wrote: »
    I don't think we're wearing uniforms, and I'd really rather if we were tbh.

That way I wouldn't have to actually think about what I'm gonna wear tbh! I'm not a tracksuit-y kind of dresser, ever, I'm more of a dresses &funky clothes of some description kinda person. So effort of planning ahead :P

As am I, I only ever venture outdoors in trackies if I'm going to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Piste wrote: »
    As am I, I only ever venture outdoors in trackies if I'm going to the shop.

I like, own 2 pairs, which I only ever wear when i'm going walking/ jogging and crap like that. And they're just disgusting.

I think uniforms during the exams is the best idea! Stops a lot of distraction really, and I think they're fairly comfortable.
    Plus, some boys just look way hotter in their own clothes. And I'm in an exam centre with all boys. Phew, it's going to be way too hot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bythewoods wrote: »
    And I'm in an exam centre with all boys.

So am I :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I wonder how people who can only study/do exams better in their uniforms will survive in college?

Then maybe its just an indication of whether or not one is ready for an independent learning environment? :P

Advertisement