Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent Eircom BB issue?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm experiencing intermittent Eircom broadband problems. As far as I can tell it's a DNS issue. Current connections and downloads aren't affected but opening new connections to websites fails. NSLOOKUP doesn't work for the problem period too.

I'm going to use other DNS servers temporarily to see how it goes, just wondering if anybody is experiencing similar issues?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm experiencing intermittent Eircom broadband problems. As far as I can tell it's a DNS issue. Current connections and downloads aren't affected but opening new connections to websites fails. NSLOOKUP doesn't work for the problem period too.

I'm going to use other DNS servers temporarily to see how it goes, just wondering if anybody is experiencing similar issues?

I'd suggest the OpenDNS servers as a replacement in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Same problem here (in Dun Laoghaire). As the other posted suggested change dns settings and the problem goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Same problem in Artane.. Also my friends in Sandymount and Blanc have problems too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

having the exact same problem here in kilkenny, more than half the time any ping request fails

Tryed changing to opendns didnt help.

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 92ms, Maximum = 92ms, Average = 92ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've been having the same problem for the past few hours. Just switched to OpenDNS and it's working perfectly again. I've found Eircom Broadband particularly unreliable over the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sorry, needed to reboot router,

Opendns is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Same problem in Balbriggan. Happening all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya me also, in ennis, cant sign into psn on ps3, dns error 80710102
    fixed with open dns settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya same problem here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Same in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I had problems earlier today for about an hour, but it's ok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Same here, opendns sorted it for me

opendns IP's posted below for anyone who (like me) was having problems getting them off the website because of the eircom DNS servers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Sorted. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

here too .. am using vodafone dongle at da moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

I'm still having intermittent problems.

A few days before the DNS issue I had a PPPOE authentication issue, then the DNS issue which I solved by using OpenDNS servers but yesterday I had further intermittent problems with all connections dropped. The broadband router didn't report any problems so it's possibly a problem with the backhaul somewhere. Not sure. I'll ring Eircom and find out what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 setanta

I'm also having problems with my BB. I'm getting a lot of packet loss and a lot of random ping time outs.

I'm with Vodafone - problem first noticed last Friday, logged with Vodafone, changing DNS initially helped but problem back again on Sunday and continuing.

Logged another call with Vodafone who checked line remotely and said no problems it must be my modem (I don't believe them!).

It's bloody frustrating and I'm not sure what my next steps should be - all suggestions welcome.

Advertisement