Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation: Bead Injection V Drylining

Options
  • 17-05-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm in the process of finishing off a project house, as the house was built some time ago and there's no insulation in the cavity block walls. The previous owner half clad the walls in 1" polyester drylining which needs a lot of finishing. I was thinking a better option would of been Bonded Bead injected into the cavity and keep the walls as they were.
    However I was advised by a couple of well respected tradesmen that the cost dose not really reflect in the result and I'd be better off sticking to the drylining.
    Dose anyone else have any experience in this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

If you have a cavity between the walls then get them filled with beads, it is far superior to drylining and is done in a couple of hours by a contractor.

If you don't have a cavity but are talking about filling the gaps in the cavity blocks then you would be better off going to lanzarote for a week with the money, pumping these spaces is a complete waste of time even though you could probably find a contractor who will take your money from you.

Without a cavity drylining is the cheap option. The best way and it's not common in ireland is to insulate the outside. It's supposed to be very expensive but the results are much better than drylining.

Costs: my 3 bed semi cost €1000 inc vat and my oil usage went down 20%. We spend about €1400 pa on oil so saving €280 pa i have my money back in 3 years, also the house retains heat much better so getting up in the morning the house still doesn't feel cold on a frosty morning.

Advertisement