Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of fun for the upcoming local elections

Options
  • 17-05-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

The nominations for the local elections have now closed (I think) so lets all take a guess as to who we think will be elected in the various electoral areas. There will be a prize* for who ever gets the most right.

Im in the Stranorlar EA so I'll kick off with (in no particular order)

Crawford
    McGowan
    Harley
    McNamee
    Harvey

This is only for a wee bit of fun so I dont want to see any out and out political debate.

You can find a list of candidates for the various Electoral Areas here

*Prize = Buying first round at beers night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

*****Drops trouser and pulls list out******

Letterkenny Election

Dessie Larkin
    Paddy Gildea
    Jimmy Harte
    Frank Gallagher
    Liam Blaney

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Donegal S/W

BUNDORAN
    Sean McEniff,Fianna Fáil ELECT
    Patricia McCafferty,Non Party

KILCAR
    Brendan Byrne,Fianna Fáil DODGY
    Barry McShane,Fine Gael COULD TAKE BYRNES SEAT

KILLYBEGS
    Thomas Pringle, Non PartyPOSSIBLY SAFESAFE
    (Unsure of his commitment,started as an IND,then SF,Now IND..reading his leaflet he shows signs of the people before profit party,with a SF twinge)

DUNKINEELY
    John Boyle,Fine Gael SAFE

BALLYSHANNON
    Barry O’Neill,Fine Gael INMHO SAFEST SEAT IN THE COUNTRY.

If a major battle between Boyle and Pringle happened, Then Donegal Town is the minefield..

DONEGAL TOWN
    Jonathan Kennedy,Fianna Fáil.....Strong,Possible
    Tommy Quinn,Non Party......Out Early, possible third round
    Seamus Carbin,The Labour Party.....Stays till fourth round
    Tom Conaghan,Non Party.....Stays till fourth round
    Ernan McGettigan,Non Party.......Strong
    Jim McLaughlin,Sinn Féin....Out Early
    Eamon McGinty,Retired Non Party...Out Early

It is also VERY possible that Donegal Town could infact loose a councillor if the vote are not managed right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The Donegal COCO site is down, must have crashed from all the excitement :D

<SNIP>

..... sounds about right to me :D:D:D

I'm sorry if I've caused any offense :p

We can leave the muppetry out of it thanks. And the Council site is working. muffler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

glenties electorial area

1 joe kelly (FF)
    2 david alcorn (FF)
    3 padraig doherty (IND)
    4 terence slowey (FG)
    5 maire therese gallagher (SF)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Come on Loan Shark you can do better than that. I see you trying to cover your ass with a bit of "political guesswork". :D

Just pick your five and nail your coulours to the mast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Ah, good man muffler, COCO is indeed back in action!

I'm glad you've asked for who will be elected, as opposed to who should be elected! You're also at a slight dis-advantage, as you picked 5 people out of a list of 10, means you've, automatically, a 50% chance of being right, then add on any historical evidence, and sure you're flying!

Now in the Letterkenny EA, we have 15 nominees', so I'd suggest the usual suspects will get elected again, namely, and in no order:

Larkin
    Brogan
    Harte
    Blaney
    McGarvey

I'd also say that Noel McBride has a decent chance, but I'll put McGarvey in as my #5

To add to that, I've also put down a bet on Declan Ganley stealing a MEP seat :eek:

muffler wrote: »
    Come on Loan Shark you can do better than that. I see you trying to cover your ass with a bit of "political guesswork". :D

Just pick your five and nail your coulours to the mast.

OK Ok !!

O'Neil
    Mc Eniff
    Mc Shane
    Kennedy
    Boyle OR Pringle..(too close to call)

There, Happy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭f00tball

Letterkenny Town Council

Josie Murray
    Robert Brix Lloyd
    Michael Abiola Philips
    Stella Odalopa
    Frank Larkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

f00tball wrote: »
    Letterkenny Town Council

Josie Murray
    Robert Brix Lloyd
    Michael Abiola Philips
    Stella Odalopa
    Frank Larkin

Is this the least likely to get in? With the exception of Frank Larkin, the others are unlikely. Think political loyalties are still likely to come into play and Josie Murray, possibly unfairly is being talked down locally after his Highland Radio performance.

I'd be suprised if Ciaran Brogan and Dessie Larkin don't walk it on local popularity and their election machines alone.

Victor Fisher has never put up a poster ever and still gets elected.

It'll be interesting to see if the Fianna Fail Die hards are still devided. Despite the Govt mess of the economy, for many reasons I think Diehards will still vote accordingly and in a general election I think Jim McDaid would be re-elected and at present his followers would re-elect Ciaran Brogan and the Independent wing Dessie Larkin.

Look at how Pat the cope is heading the poll alone so far in European Polls.

This time for definate I'd magine the voting will be very split with no one raching the quota as easily but personality and party loyalty still being the decider.

In Donegal Fianna Fail central Party hasn't been too popular in local circles anyway long before the recession so it won't matter to them, and some other parties haven't put up good enough candidates to capitalise.

Despite the Governments handling of national issues, I'd hate to see some of the oppositions local candidates get in, many of them don't seem up to the job locally. Fine gael have some dodgey candidates, Joanne Sweeney being hte best and would look good with Fianna Fail backing. Gallagher for the Greens will suffer a backlash I think not only for the national issues but his predecessor didn't look great and he hasn't had time to show his metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

At least Donegal Town will be quieter soon.

There was one loudspeaker van out last weekend with a top volume raucous song; if I could remember the name I might ask him what his views on noise pollution are....

• Advertisement

sorella wrote: »
    At least Donegal Town will be quieter soon.

There was one loudspeaker van out last weekend with a top volume raucous song; if I could remember the name I might ask him what his views on noise pollution are....

Imagine what it would be like if you had REAL issues!

This is only for a wee bit of fun so I dont want to see any out and out political debate.
    FAO donegalman1.

Just a simple list of who you think will get elected in your particular area will suffice. As I said its not a serious debate and the idea is to see who was closest with their predictions come the weekend.

Oh - sorella, lets have your vote too please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Letterkenny Town Council;
    Blake
    Brogan
    Doherty
    Fisher
    Harte
    Larkin D
    Larkin F
    Lynch
    McMonagle

Letterkenny County Council;
    Blaney
    Brogan
    Cullen
    Larkin
    McBride N.
    McGarvey
    Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

It is very hard to call the SW Donegal area, will Brendan Byrne keep his seat or will Barry McShane snatch it of him, will Pringle get as many votes this time around and can Boyle hold onto his seat?? It is very hard to call, personally I hope McShane gets in as it would be great for the area to get some young blood on the council and from what I have heard he is getting very positive feedback on the doorsteps, it is going to be a very interesting day in the Bosco centre on Sunday!

Carrickman wrote: »
    It is very hard to call the SW Donegal area, will Brendan Byrne keep his seat or will Barry McShane snatch it of him, will Pringle get as many votes this time around and can Boyle hold onto his seat?? It is very hard to call, personally I hope McShane gets in as it would be great for the area to get some young blood on the council and from what I have heard he is getting very positive feedback on the doorsteps, it is going to be a very interesting day in the Bosco centre on Sunday!
    Go on. Post your list and we will see how wrong close you were come Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Go on. Post your list and we will see how wrong close you were come Sunday :)

McEniff
    O'Neill
    Pringle
    Mc Shane
    Boyle or Kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Think Labour might have chance with McLaughlin. McGarvey no chance since electoral area changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Meant council in general - obviously McGarvey up for Co Co.

Well,
    I was sort of right!!
    I was there all day..

O'Neill was a dead cert!
    After that it was open season..looking at the voting sheets nobody had a consistancy in their vote.. it was 1FG,2LAB,3SF,4FF it was totally mixed...

Boyle always worked for the people and they remembered that..

Pringle got transfers form eveybody and good transfers to boot!

Did not think Conaghan would take it to them..

Byrne and Mc Eniff should go out and do the lotto because they are that lucky!!

Mc Shane is one to watch.

Kennedy was Shafted...by The Fianna Fail!

Superquinn polled well but was planted as a blocker...Mc Ginty was planted too!! FACT...

Carbin and Mc Gettigan polled well in donegal town but didnt transfer too well..
    Mc Laughlin polled well too in Bundoran and locally..
    Mc Cafferty was a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

andyc09lad wrote: »
    glenties electorial area

1 joe kelly (FF)
    2 david alcorn (FF)
    3 padraig doherty (IND)
    4 terence slowey (FG)
    5 maire therese gallagher (SF)

ACTUAL RESULT

Glenties Electoral Area

Seamus O'Domhnaill IND
    Terence Slowey FG
    Marie Therese Gallagher SF
    David Alcorn FF
    Padraig O'Dochertaigh IND

Seamus O Domhnaills after topping the poll and knocking out Joe Kelly....sends a clear msg to the lads in FF that ensured Seamy didnt get their nomination!!

• Advertisement

How did you all do? Anyone get them all correct?

4/5 for me.

Advertisement