Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer wont sense hard drive on which Ubuntu is installed

• 17-05-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

A weird problem...

To cut a long story short I extracted an 120GB IDE hard drive from another computer to use alongside my 160GB SATA drive already there. Windows XP picked it up, I threw some movies on it and took it out. Later when I put it back in Windows never sensed it and I couldnt access it.

Today I installed Ubuntu on the IDE hard drive on a partition (I was too nervous to partition the main hd with Windows on it). When in Ubuntu I can access the IDE drive no bother and I even copied the files back. But it still doesnt show up in Windows.

The problem is that the Windows bootloader cannot see the second hard drive. I have messed around a bit with boot.ini to no avail. Additionally if I click F2 on startup to get into the boot menu It has a list but the IDE drive is marked as not being present. So even if I put this before the SATA drive in the boot sequence it still wont boot Ubuntu.

Any solution Ive seen so far appear to rely on installing a bootloader on the IDE drive, but seems the computer doesnt pick it up it seems pointless.

Im all new to this so sorry if the problem is trivial. Would something like this be the solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ok stupid stupid me. I had the second hard disk turned off via the Windows device manage.

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.fs-driver.org will let windows use ext2 / ext3 drives for older versions of Ubuntu where the inode size is 128 bytes
    Large inodes

The current version of Ext2 IFS only mounts volumes with an inode size of 128 like old Linux kernels have.

Some very new Linux distributions create an Ext3 file systems with inodes of 256 bytes. Ext2 IFS 1.11 is not able to access them.

Currently there is only one workaround: Please back up the files and create the Ext3 file system again. Give the mkfs.ext3 tool the -I 128 switch. Finally, restore all files with the backup.

Advertisement