Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Government?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Lets say the polls are right and FF get a slating. Greens are under pressure and propose a National Government to rule for 3 years with a cabinet of representatives off all 4 main parties. Not likely but possible as it would give the Greens some cred and would force FG and Lab to 'act in the national interest' as if they said no then it would force an election with a possible hung outcome....

Its a remote chance but worth seeing what people think of it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Completely unrealistic and unneeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Roare

I don't see that happening or working!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's more likely that the Greens would pull the plug, and there'd be General election.

I just can't see the blueshirts, and the self proclaimed republicans getting on to well.

Problems with the solution:
    - Is Sinn Féin included?
    - Who get's Finance/Taoiseach/Health etc
    - They'd never agree
    - FG couldn't use the old vote of 'no confidence' trick :P

But I for one can see the benefits. If anyone remembers the Tallaght Strategy. Political suicide, but it really benefitted the country... (If only the politicians cared about that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

No I don't think it's even remotely workable. Too many different parties with too many different ideas of what's in the national interest.

We'd end up with economic plans so watered down due to compromise they'd be as entirely ineffective as the governments current NAMA plan.

There needs to a clean slate so the people can decide who they want to run the country.

I don't see why FF deserve any say in what to do, they've had plenty of chances to prove their worth and have failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

You'd really want Fianna Fail anywhere near government? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Dunno but i cant see FG/Lab getting enough seats in a Gen Election which no one wants.

I see the Greens key to this. If they want to pull the plug then they can but if they want to come out of this with some cred then this is one solution (Im sure there are many more...)

It could be a master stroke for them which would highlight the failings of the others....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I put these questions to anyone that thinks there should be a national government.

Please name the FF TD's, never mind current & former ministers, you would have in government and then what positions you would put them ?

Oh and for the ones that usually put out example of the Tallaght Strategy, the Huaghey government did nto have a so called stable majority as our current government have had since June 2007.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

kenco wrote: »
    Dunno but i cant see FG/Lab getting enough seats in a Gen Election which no one wants.

Eh? If the current polls are remotely accurate then FG will be heading towards 70 seats and Labour should get around 30. They'd have a huge majority!

In fact if FG gain a few more points and get up to around 42% of the vote then they could come in with 75 or so seats, and at that stage it's not just FG/Lab as an option but possibly also FG/Green, FG/SF, FG/Inds or any combination of the above that could reach 83.

The current government FF/PD/Green/Inds has a clear majority in the Dáil. As they keep reminding us themselves, they got a mandate from the people in 2007. They have the seats in the Dáil to govern. So if they are up to the job of governing they should stop whining about "national governments" and just get on with the job they were elected to do. And if they aren't capable of doing that job then by God they should have the basic common decency and self-respect to get the f*** out of the way and let the grown-ups take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

kenco wrote: »
    Lets say the polls are right and FF get a slating. Greens are under pressure and propose a National Government to rule for 3 years with a cabinet of representatives off all 4 main parties. Not likely but possible as it would give the Greens some cred and would force FG and Lab to 'act in the national interest' as if they said no then it would force an election with a possible hung outcome....

Its a remote chance but worth seeing what people think of it...

Why should other parties such as FG help out a FF government that refused to listen to the alarm bells about the economy years back. FG wont do this and rightly so. FF got us into this mess. Now they can clean it up or shut up.

Advertisement