Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science of smoking?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

just wondering if anyone can recommend some good books, not exactly about quitting smoking but they could be useful too.

But about smoking in general, the history of it, the changes and about the companies and the ingredients.. I've become fascinated with smoking and the psychology of it. People who quit 20 years ago and still want to smoke, is that a really strong habit? or is that a really strong addiction? and to what? nicotine? or some of the mystery ingredients companies put in?

And the whole money making machine that smoking is, If we all did manage to quit easily, too much money would be lost, taxes, companies, jobs etc etc..

Is there a big conspiracy behind smoking? they addition of ingredients over the years to make it more addictive because they cant afford to have people quit?

what about the tools to "help" you quit? inhalers and gums etc .... theyre the same if not more expensive than cigarettes?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I just ordered Cigarette Century

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Interesting topic.
    what about the tools to "help" you quit? inhalers and gums etc .... theyre the same if not more expensive than cigarettes?:confused:

I quit by just deciding to and reading the Allan Carr book.
    I don't get the taking of patches and gum etc... To me it seems that all they would do is prolong the quiting experience. Personally, I wanted the worst over with asap and the thoughts of dragging it out were not appealing at all.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I don't get the taking of patches and gum etc... To me it seems that all they would do is prolong the quiting experience. Personally, I wanted the worst over with asap and the thoughts of dragging it out were not appealing at all.

For me one of the bigger motivations is monetary, so it seems stupid to substitute smoking for a more expensive habit.

I've just quit again, day 3 now.. almost done. The hardest thing for me is knowing that I will always have this feeling of wanting to smoke.

I see people posting about how theyve been off them for months or years and still think about it from time to time... and fear having one for ruining it all...

Advertisement