Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsure what to do

Options
  • 17-05-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

I am not sure if this the right plce for this so mods sorry if it is

I am unsure what to do about one of my neighbours kids
    The thing is there house is behind mine ( not directly a bit up )
    Anyway one of there kids ( Aprox 3yrs old) keeps climbing out onto the window ledge.
    our window a a bit weird they open fully out at both sides
    with a small latch holding one closed if need
    they are so dangerous that my husband has put chub locks on ours

I feel utterly sick in my stomach when I see this child stand out there swinging of the window
    I did on one occasion when they 1st moved in run around in an awful state banging on there door to tell them.
    They did not answer the door I had to go into there neighbours and he went ( think he was realated) around the back and shouted up at the child to get in
    I got no thank you for this and was look upon as if whats the big deal

So my question is do I just close my blinds when she is out there or tell someone about this
    I dont want to interfere in somones family but should this child fall I will be woundering if I had done something could it have been prevented

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I would contact someone such as garda or social services if this is a regular occurence. If the parents of that child are doing their jobs properly they will have nothing to fear. The child needs to be protected first and foremost.
    Nobody likes to think that they could get other parents into trouble with social services but at the end of the day that child relies on his/her parents for everything and unfortunately some parents are not in a position to carry out this duty properly.
    Voice your concerns 'cos as a mum yourself you will not be able to forgive yourself if the child is seriously injured or worse, killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

When I lived in the UK there was a pair of children who used to sit outside the upstairs window. I had repeatedly told the parents to lock the window, as did my neighbours. They didnt listen, so every time i saw them I let a roar out of me. After we had moved from the area the little girl (about nine) fell out of her window and broke her neck, she is now paralized from the neck down. Its amazing to see that such a simple thing like putting a lock on a window to protect your child from exactly what happened is too much trouble for some parents. At the end of the day, there really isnt much you can do. Its not against the law to climb out of the window so the gards wont do anything. Social services might pay lip service to it, and EVENTUALLY get someone down to say something to them. Perhaps you could start by chatting to the parent and make it sound less like your telling them they are a bad parent (which is how they will take it) and more like a helpful sugestion? Or even speek to the child and tell them how dangerous it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Don't really have any suggestions for the OP re their dilema but I would advise one thing, don't put locks on windows, they are an escape route in case of a fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

High&Low wrote: »
    Don't really have any suggestions for the OP re their dilema but I would advise one thing, don't put locks on windows, they are an escape route in case of a fire...

Hi just so you dont think I have locked us in our house the locks on the windows are the ones you would put on ur fronth door with the chain .You know the one where you can open ur door back but they cant get in.
    My hubby is a health and saftey god so trust me we can get out. We even know who has to get which child should there be a fire so that we are not both runing for the same child .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have safety catches on all the upstairs window they are a well worth investment.
    I would call around when you see her and if it doesn't stop start taking photos with the date on them and then get in touch with social services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement