Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Dental Issues for giving a price?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been banned for quoting a price in an incredibly popular thread which I started called "Dental recommendation up north"

I dont understand why you would ban someone with no warnings for giving useful information which is clearly very popular in the forum and as the thread has over 1500 views and I take a ton of PM's every day trying to help people out.

In the post the moderator fitzgeme quoted a rule which was the reason for the thread to be locked and my banning and it had absolutely no relevance to the thread whatsoever!

I am most dissapointed that the thread has been locked and not that I have been banned more because people clearly needed the info in that thread and rightly so people in financial difficulty at the moment are looking for bargains more than ever and that thread provided that valuable info, so I would appeal to delete the post in question and re-open the thread so people can continue using the information.

I also would like to point out that there is a specific user in the dental forum who is not a mod but seems to have a lot of authority and gets away with saying anything he wants including in my thread branding northern dentists a "rip off". Anyone who contends with this southern dentist is immediately set upon by the mod fitzgeme who is completely biased towards this person.

As I say if this ridiculous ban must stay in place for violating a rule and not being warned then fine if it makes the world a better place but really please unlock the thread and delete the posts in question so people can continue getting useful information from it which is really the whole point to boards!

Regards

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

This should be in helpdesk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Cephei

Nerin wrote: »
    This should be in helpdesk

can it be moved or should I make a new thread there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ill ask an admin to move it for you. :)

Nerin wrote: »
    ill ask an admin to move it for you. :)

thanks Nerin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You'll have no joy in Helpdesk either. From the looks of it you were banned for starting a new thread within a half an hour of the original thread being locked for breach of the charter. You were told you could post in consumer issues but ignored it - take your ban on the chin I'd say.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    You'll have no joy in Helpdesk either. From the looks of it you were banned for starting a new thread within a half an hour of the original thread being locked for breach of the charter. You were told you could post in consumer issues but ignored it - take your ban on the chin I'd say.

Helpdesk sounded like the logical place to post this.. Where would I find consumer issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You were banned for restarting a deleted thread.

The charter and rules cover this and you should know them before you post in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cephei, you're relatively new around here so we can understand that you may have missed out on certain rules, and why things are done in a certain way - simply put, things would be a mess, and the site would not function if we didn't have said rules in place.

If you've come to understand why you've been banned (because you decided to defy a moderator instruction and re-started a closed thread), then I'd recommend that you PM the moderator in question and explain that. They *may* re-consider, but wouldn't be under an obligation to. If not, well you'll just have ride out the ban I'm afraid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cephei, you have now Pm'ed me 5 times regarding this. can we draw a line under it. Your ban will be lifted in one month. Your reccomendations are still available for people to see and search for, there is no need for another thread to discuss this topic at least for a month or so.

I am sorry you feel you are being treated unfairly, but I have to make decisions that stop the threads going places I dont want them to go, to prevent myself and boards coming under fire. Its not just posters that read these threads but the media that treat the information as fact.

The thread was locked not due to your posts but the general way the discussiuon was going. You were banned for starting another thread immediatly after on the same topic even after you were warned not to do this previously for the same thread. Also you insist on complaining about the fairness of borads at the start of every thread you start.

Ok fine this is ridiculous enough and its not worth my time and effort fighting this ludicrous decision but please explain why I have just received a PM from fitzgeme explaining how I am now permanently banned for 'spamming'??

I have had no contact with this forum since the last PM I sent to fitzgeme concerning this topic last night.. This is outrageous behaviour! Please explain these actions!

• Advertisement

Also where can I find consumer issues because this is absolutely appalling behaviour and really shouldnt be tollerated in a popular forum like this.

Still awaiting a response to explain why i have know suddenly been permanently banned for "spamming" by fitzgeme?

May I ask, did you PM or privately contact fitzgeme since his last reply in this thread?

Cephei wrote: »
    Still awaiting a response to explain why i have know suddenly been permanently banned for "spamming" by fitzgeme?

It's only been a couple of hours. Mods aren't expected to be here 24/7. Most have quite extensive lives outside of boards.ie.

Sit tight, I'm sure the mod in question will respond when they have time.

GuanYin wrote: »
    May I ask, did you PM or privately contact fitzgeme since his last reply in this thread?

I was having PM dialogue with fitzgeme when he posted last in this thread.

I have just received a PM from fitzgeme outlining that I have been banned from the Dental Issues forum for 'two weeks' and not permanently as previously stated in the PM I received earlier.

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me :)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    That seems like a reasonable compromise to me :)

Agreed. Good call by fitzgeme.

Cephei, now might be a good time to read the forum rules again. We understand that you are trying to be helpful and are enthusiastic, but we all must still respect the guidelines for forum conduct, even if they may frustrate us.

Hopefully, all is resolved now.

GuanYin wrote: »
    Agreed. Good call by fitzgeme.

Cephei, now might be a good time to read the forum rules again. We understand that you are trying to be helpful and are enthusiastic, but we all must still respect the guidelines for forum conduct, even if they may frustrate us.

Hopefully, all is resolved now.

Yes all resolved! Thank you for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thanks all, cephei I understand you are eager to contribute to the forum however it is not a true democracy, there are some rules we all must follow. For the benefit of having real dentists contribute on the forum you must also put up with the fact that as professionals who must adhere to many rules you do not, we cannot be associated with certain opinions we do not share, the internet is NOT anonymous, all my colleagues and the dental council of Ireland know about this site and at the end of the day its me that takes the flack. Give me a break from time to time please.

And yes the modutils seem to send the user a auto message that any ban except for the one month is a permanent ban....admins help.

On the bright side...this is getting my post count up. Nearly 1000 and only here 5 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement