Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Kildare should we move to??

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

We're a young couple one child looking to move to Kildare in the near future. At the moment I'm pretty open minded and would like some suggestions about which areas are nicest....Looking for somewhere that is clean, family friendly, busy not tooooo quiet, plenty of shops and things to do and finally easy access to Dublin city via public transport.

Thanks in advance :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

You have a wide selction to choose from- many of Kildare towns will meet your requirements, with south and north kildare having good transport links into Dublin.

We live in Maynooth North Kildare and cannot fault it-

loads of primary schools
    excellent secondary school
    trains every 20/30 mins into connolly- meant to be getting the dart in the near future
    two dublin bus services
    motorway into Dublin
    shopping centre
    parks, kids play ground
    close to intel and hp if looking for a job but join the queue
    and like most places the house prices are starting to come back in line with a number of bargains to be had, you can get a new 2 bed apartment for example for € 200,000.

Good luck with your relocation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Another vote for Maynooth. Major difference between public transport services of Maynooth and South Kildare towns is that the train goes to Pearse (south kildare goes to Heuston). It's a great town tbh. There's something for everyone. Good restaurants, nightlife, pubs. Lots of students = babysitters. Half an hour to town (outside of rush hour) by car - 40 mins on the train. There's all the standard shops - Supervalu, Tesco and Dunnes and convenience stores.

You've a choice of schools - Boys and Girls National schools, Gaelscoil and Educate Together. Lots of creches.

I'm living here 8 years - have young kids too - I'm in no rush to leave.

aonoco - you got a source on the DART? I thought that plan was scrapped 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xander1971

We just moved to Newbridge and we're loving it, people are really friendly and the town has everything you need (well except a cinema). Good prices on houses at the mo too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I will give a vote to Newbridge also , has everything you could want , plus supposedly the cinema is on the way

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

The train from Newbridge will only leave you to Heuston Station, which is a good walk from Dublin city centre every day (since easy access required to Dublin by public transport).
    If you work on Northside the Luas from here will be useful, otherwise city centre buses from Heuston tend to travel at a crawl at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

donaghs wrote: »
    The train from Newbridge will only leave you to Heuston Station, which is a good walk from Dublin city centre every day (since easy access required to Dublin by public transport).
    If you work on Northside the Luas from here will be useful, otherwise city centre buses from Heuston tend to travel at a crawl at rush hour.

Hueston services are fine in reality

I travel from Hazelhatch (Celbridge) and total door to door journey to city centre is less than 1 hour; 90 bus service from hueston to city centre around 10 mins as there is a bus lane the whole way. Back in evenings can get delayed a bit, I tend to use LUAS

the Kildare route project is almost complete bringing 4 tracks into Dublin and trains every 15 mins

Most importantly the trains are far less packed full of people than the Maynooth line

Long-term plan is for DART through tunnel to city-centre

But it really depends where in Dublin you want to get too

celbridge also has Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann and when current N4 works are complete will have a bus lane the whole way to city centre and I think the option of a bus will be even better than train at that point

added bonus of Nitelink if you happen to have the odd late night in town (around Christmas for example)

I am 5 years in Celbridge now and have no complaints

certainly if you are going to Dublin every day I'd suggest Celbridge, Leixlip or Maynooth

I used to commute out further and got really fed up with that lifestyle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'll give Clane a vote. Lovely village with all the usual suspects, tesco etc.

The village is small and compact and has everything you could need. Bus eireann will have you in town (the green) in 55 mins in the morning. You are 10 mins from Kilcock and Maynooth train stations and 5 from Sallins so you have 3 options to choose from. You are also between the M4 and M7 so you have your choice of motorways into Dublin as well which takes 30mins outside of rush hour.

No complaints from me and I've been living here for about 3 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'll give Clane a vote. Lovely village with all the usual suspects, tesco etc.

The village is small and compact and has everything you could need. Bus eireann will have you in town (the green) in 55 mins in the morning. You are 10 mins from Kilcock and Maynooth train stations and 5 from Sallins so you have 3 options to choose from. You are also between the M4 and M7 so you have your choice of motorways into Dublin as well which takes 30mins outside of rush hour.

No complaints from me and I've been living here for about 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

We moved to celbridge 4 years ago and it is great. Schools are great, and there is not much trouble or anti social behaviour. B

Be careful of traffic in the various towns you are considering, try driving into each of them at rush hour. Maynooth can be quite heavy.

If you were dropping into Celbridge for a day to look around I would recommend lunch in the mucky Duck on main street, Drop into the local community centre The Mill, across the road, and a nice walk around the grounds of Castletown house.

There are plenty of pubs, but they can be quiet compared to maynooths student life, but i think most pubs are quiet in the recession.
    Oh yeah, 24 hour Tescos is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

I'd highly reccommend Leixlip. We moved here Last July and are renting but have settled in so well that we are looking to buy in the area. My 5 year old son started school and has loads of friends around. My wife works in Dublin and the train service is excellent for getting in and out of the city centre. We used to live in Dublin city centre and never felt like we belonged but out here we settled in swtraight away. We're both in our mid/late 20's and enjoy the local nite life. Not too crowded but not deserted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you're after a quiet life move to Kill. It's just a 30min journey to Dublin city centre by car, it's served by bus every hour but you're in the countryside. Lots of quiet country roads, fields and streams.

The village itself has a supermarket, two great pubs, a bookies, two chemists, a take away, chinese, both a protestant and catholic church, a primary school that is slated to be rebuilt and more. Folks are friendly and any major shopping can be done in Naas (10 min drive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd say Celbridge or Maynooth. Loads of transport links to the city, plenty of shops, good choice of schools, lots of houses to choose from.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Beruthiel wrote: »
    She's right. Stay away from Celbridge.

I'd highly recommend Leixlip.

Six primary schools (including one Irish school) and two secondary schools.
    Newly opened Garda station serving Maynooth, Kilcock and Celbridge 24 hours.
    Three bus services. 66, 66a 66b.
    Two train stations.
    Two sports teams (both GAA and soccer (all ages)).
    Cheap houses because people are broke (see daft.ie for prices).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

Great more Irish refugees coming to Maynooth.

Try Athy or South Kildare somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

donaghs wrote: »

The 90 bus usually gets from Heuston to O' Connell Bridge in ~10 minutes. There's a bus lane all the way up the north quays which means it flys along. In the evening, getting the Luas is probably the best idea but that's still 10 minutes max from Abbey St. The point about the trains on the Heuston line not being as packed is a good point too - definitely helps when trying to get a seat in the evening.

We moved to Newbridge about a year ago and we are happy here so far. My partner works in Maynooth (soon to be moved to Portloaise) and I work in Dublin (though I work from home a fair amount of the time). The houses out here were good value about a year ago and they continue to be good value, imo. There's good facilities in the town and if/when the cinema opens it'll be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

we're living in CELbrIdGe now for 1 year and love it. you'll find everything what you need around you in celbridge!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 itsadeathtrap

Kildare Town....

Right Spot.. loads of things to do.
    People very friendly, property has drop making lovely houses very cheep.
    Kildare Village with mountains of shopping. loads of pubs and a great night club....
    Dublin 45 min away by car or train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Betty Boo

Maynooth all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Photojoe wrote: »
    Try Athy or South Kildare somewhere.

Don't go to Athy:eek:. Lived there for 2 years, it was awful and glad I'm out of there. Nothing going on, hardly any shops so you drive for ages to get what you need. Commuting from there to Dublin would stink, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Celbridge, It's the safest town, very nice, lots of shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

+1 above, love it here, been living here since 2001 and have never regretted it, when I was offered a work move to Galway, my teenage kids lost the plot as they had really settled into friendships with a nice group of kids, needless to say I didn't take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Not one person here mentioned Naas? I find that pretty strange.

The accent scares most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

just gone sale agreed in leixlip myself...

been living there the past 20 years though

The accent scares most people.

We have accents?

NAYYYYAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ah South Kildare - bless :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

I'll give Naas a vote- just bought a house there. Most expensive town in Kildare to buy a house though so you might feel you get more house for your money in other towns. BUT, it all depends on what your priorities are. If you're commuting to Dublin Naas is great (I drive to the red cow and get the luas). Every ten or fifteen minutes added on to the journey by venturing further into Kildare towards Newbridge and Kildare town will matter to you if you're commuting every day.

Naas has lots of nice restaurants, shops, social and sports clubs, Punchestown & Naas races and it is a 'quiet' type of town despite it's size.

These arguments alway pop up about Naas vs Newbridge and there are lots of plus points for both so in the end it's just personal preference.

My impression of Newbridge though is that it's fully of scum-mobiles vroooooming around and knackers hanging around everywhere. I am simply saying what I have witnessed there- don't kill me.

• Advertisement

Dont move to Shelbyville. Naas is perfect. I really know no one who pronounces Naas like Naaaayyyaaasss! Honestly.

Advertisement