Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did you get off the selling price?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I'm putting in an offer on a second hand house in the coming days. Its listed at 340k and I'm wondering how cheeky I can get. Anybody have any good stories? Please include if it was a new/second hand home and where it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sellers are still in la-la land with asking prices, so percentage drops from asking is meaningless. If you get a 30% of the prices means nothing if the asking prices is 50% over valued.

What price would equal;

Your ability to pay it over 20-25years.
    You can afford the repayments on one wage.
    You can afford it if interest rates are 8%.
    You can afford it if TRS is abolished.
    You can afford it if you lose 20% of your wages over the next 5 years.
    You have a 20% deposit.

If you have a rock stable job, can get the house for a price considering the above and will live in it for the next 15-20 years, then go right ahead and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

"20% deposit" what are you on about...why would you need that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I got 15 percent off the asking price of my purchase, a second hand property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Senna wrote: »
    Sellers are still in la-la land with asking prices, so percentage drops from asking is meaningless. If you get a 30% of the prices means nothing if the asking prices is 50% over valued.

What price would equal;

Your ability to pay it over 20-25years.
    You can afford the repayments on one wage.
    You can afford it if interest rates are 8%.
    You can afford it if TRS is abolished.
    You can afford it if you lose 20% of your wages over the next 5 years.
    You have a 20% deposit.

If you have a rock stable job, can get the house for a price considering the above and will live in it for the next 15-20 years, then go right ahead and buy it.

what are you talking about ?

All the above related to weather you can afford to buy a certain property or not it has nothing to do with a properties value.

OP you can ignore the above completly as it has no relevence to house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Worst time to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Worst time to buy

One, that's not very helpful and two, how is it a worse time than six months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

did you see this?

"What Dublin buyers are really paying - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2009/0507/1224246048049.html"

you have nothing to lose by making a silly offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jeepers101 wrote: »
    One, that's not very helpful and two, how is it a worse time than six months ago?

before the crash it was fairly stupid to buy but you think its more sensible to buy while prices are dropping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

was buying house last year asking for 350k, offered 250k and they accepted within 12 hours. unfortunately sale didnt go through due to me and the missus splitting up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Offer 50% of the selling price.

You could offer 25% off so if its 400 offer 300.

Main issue is if the house has been owned for a while. If they bought it in the 70s its different than 2005.

YOu might think you are getting a deal at 300 but when it falls to 200 you will be kicking yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement