Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPT San Marino Winner sold at least 137% of himself

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

He actually says in the interview
    "I would never sell more than 100% and go and win a tournament"
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I watched the stream of this ft and the one thought going through my head the whole time was that this guy was slightly mentally handicapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

FYI this is on Channel 4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

My God the guy is a little punk isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

hotspur wrote: »
    My God the guy is a little punk isn't he?

I just broke my 40inch plasma open tryin to headbutt the fcuker....grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

what a tool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maybe, but if you were smart about it, you could deliberately lose bundles of chips without ever going near a showdown. Open raise and give up a lot, call raises / 3 bets and give up always postflop. You really should have all of that figured out if you're going to sell 140% of yourself pre tournament.

But then again, the dude doesn't seem to be the brightest so whatever.

I watched this on C4 last night. It was 2 tables out and he raised, 3bet and fired 3 barrel bluffs in hands. One in particular against the other big stack at the table where he donked about 1.2m on a bluff with blinds at 10k/20k or something. I actually liked his play over the episode!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sorry, I know sweet FA about playing poker, just watching some of it, what's it mean he sold himself over 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I'm drunk now and it just occurd to me that ex[plaining this is pretty tough.....

EDit#
    if 5 of you bought a lotto ticket then you would each own 20% of any winning.
    if 100 of you bought a lotto ticket you would each own 1% of any winings
    If 100 of you paid for a player to play in a poker tourney you would each own 1% of any winnings.
    If a player suggested that that you should buy 1% of his entry into a tournament with the promise that you would own 1% of any winnings - you might agree.
    In this case - the player sold 137% of his entry and is therefore liable to pay out 137% of any winnings. But you cant have 137% of anything.... So herE in lies the sh!T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

amacachi wrote: »
    Sorry, I know sweet FA about playing poker, just watching some of it, what's it mean he sold himself over 100%?

The tournament cost €5000+300

This means 5000 towards the prize pool and 300 to the organizers.

100% normally means 5300, but occasionally in the case of a very good player allows a wee bit for expenses, say 6000.

It's fairly normal for players to swap or sell percentages.

So if we're both playing and swap 10%, I'll give you 10% of my winnings if I finish in a prize winning position and visa versa.

If I buy 10% of your action, I give you 530 and you give me 10% of your winnings (if any).

In this case, muppet (allegedly) sold more than 100% of his action.

As long as he loses, nobody's any the wiser and he has more than 100% of 5300 so can pay his 5300 entry fee + hotel bill, beer money hookers and coke money etc etc.

However, if he's stupid enough to win, he has to pay out the full percentage to everyone he did a deal with, which is a bit of a problem.

If this particular yarn is true, he is due to pay out 600Kish more than he won :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

amacachi wrote: »

supposing you were entering a tournament (could be anything - tiddlywinks, chess, etc.) where the prize money was made up of the sum of all the competitors entry fees.

now let's say the entry fee is 100 euro. you think 'I'm pretty good and people know that. how about i see if they want to buy a percentage stake in me. You'd do this because if you don't win, you're making less of a loss.

So your mate says 'I'll give you a tenner' and he gets ten percent of you.

Now it means if you don't win any money you've only lost 90 euro as opposed to 100 euro. More importantly, if you win, he gets ten percent of the money you win.

Amongst tournament poker players this practice is quite common.

But if you sell more than 100% of yourself, you are making money straight away before you even play the tournament. In our scenario here, if you sold 110% of yourself, you could pay the tournament entrance fee, and have a tenner profit. Before you've even played.

Only thing is, you gotta make sure you don't win anything because you're not gonna be able to pay everyone who bought a percentage.

I'm sure that's a horrendous explanation but sure I haven't posted in this forum in years, and it's about the only thing I could contribute these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Grafter wrote: »
    The tournament cost €5000+300

This means 5000 towards the prize pool and 300 to the organizers.

100% normally means 5300, but occasionally in the case of a very good player allows a wee bit for expenses, say 6000.

It's fairly normal for players to swap or sell percentages.

So if we're both playing and swap 10%, I'll give you 10% of my winnings if I finish in a prize winning position and visa versa.

If I buy 10% of your action, I give you 530 and you give me 10% of your winnings (if any).

In this case, muppet (allegedly) sold more than 100% of his action.

As long as he loses, nobody's any the wiser and he has more than 100% of 5300 so can pay his 5300 entry fee + hotel bill, beer money hookers and coke money etc etc.

However, if he's stupid enough to win, he has to pay out the full percentage to everyone he did a deal with, which is a bit of a problem.

If this particular yarn is true, he is due to pay out 600Kish more than he won :eek:

That's the thought that was going through my head but I just didn't think for a second that someone would actually do it. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

jtsuited wrote: »
    supposing you were entering a tournament (could be anything - tiddlywinks, chess, etc.) where the prize money was made up of the sum of all the competitors entry fees.

now let's say the entry fee is 100 euro. you think 'I'm pretty good and people know that. how about i see if they want to buy a percentage stake in me. You'd do this because if you don't win, you're making less of a loss.

So your mate says 'I'll give you a tenner' and he gets ten percent of you.

Now it means if you don't win any money you've only lost 90 euro as opposed to 100 euro. More importantly, if you win, he gets ten percent of the money you win.

Amongst tournament poker players this practice is quite common.

But if you sell more than 100% of yourself, you are making money straight away before you even play the tournament. In our scenario here, if you sold 110% of yourself, you could pay the tournament entrance fee, and have a tenner profit. Before you've even played.

Only thing is, you gotta make sure you don't win anything because you're not gonna be able to pay everyone who bought a percentage.

I'm sure that's a horrendous explanation but sure I haven't posted in this forum in years, and it's about the only thing I could contribute these days.
    who the hell is this posting in the poker forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

who the hell is this posting in the poker forum?

haha reggie, when I get the time again, I will be back with you degenerates and your 'optimal lines', 'ICMs', and other phrases we knew nothing of in the days of the Fitz/Merrion freeroll circuit.

Better do a lot of studying though, what with you lads being proper poker geniuses now!!!

No more leaking chips trying to push Reggie off his TPTK. No sir!

Advertisement