Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petnapping!

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

My brothers dog was left in the garden when he was at work. Garden is perfectly secure so dog couldn't get out - high fence & gate.

He came home from work and the dog was gone. Someone phoned the next day and said they had the dog and they wanted €170 for it as it had 'messed up his car'.

They havent called back since. My brother phoned the Guards but they said there was nothing they could do. The guy was supposed to phone back today to arrange to meet and exchange dog / money but he hasn't.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it common? Any suggestions for what he can do? He is at his wits end.

Its such a horrible thing to do to someone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The gardai can't do anything??

So his dogs been stolen, he's being held for ransom and they say there's nothing they can do?? I'd go back down to them, really, if a child had been taken and you got a ransom call would they do nothing?

edit: sorry, I'm just really annoyed about this. Who would steal someones pet? That's horrible. I really don't know what you can do, can the SPCA be of any use? I don't think that they can. I'm confused as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How did they get the number?

They would've had to have a name to get it out of the book.

Anyway, I can't believe the Gards said they can't do anything. It's blackmail. Even if the dog DID mess up their car, they have no right to hold the dog to ransom like that.

Were they locals who rang?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The dogs collar had my brothers phone number on it.

The dog was lifted in Co.Louth.... and the caller said they were in Dublin. My brother doesnt have a car and said this and the guy said hed call back today.

The Gards did say there was nothing they could do, but said to keep them up to date. My bro was hoping that if he met the guy the gards would be providing some sort of backup so he could get his money back... but hes just really worried about the dog and now its worse because he hasnt had any more info. It almost sounds like the guy is gonna hold out for more money or something.

This sounds so odd, I've really not heard of anyone petnapping. Was it your brothers house phone or mobile? I assume he didn't get a number off the guys who called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

God that's awful! :( I hope they ring back. I'm sure your brother just wants his dog back at this stage regardless of what happened. Scumbags. I hope he gets his dog back :(

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    This sounds so odd, I've really not heard of anyone petnapping. Was it your brothers house phone or mobile? I assume he didn't get a number off the guys who called?

I know its crazy. When my bro realised the dog was gone he said he was worried it might have been stolen, as it is very unlikely the dog wriggled out of the back yard on his own. I kept saying 'no noone would steal a dog, someone will find it and give you a call'. Never thought it was actually a possibility.

The dognapper has my brothers mobile number, and the caller had his number witheld. We were saying maybe the gards could trace the call or something but I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

That's really horrible. It's one of the oddest things I've ever heard. I really hope your brother gets him back.

Gardai not doing anything, now there's a surprise. My brother's house was broken into a couple of years back and several things were taken. He reported it all to the Gardai (as you have to do for insurance anyway) and they took note of it. Being the type he is he did a bit of investigation. A couple of days later he found 3 of the items that had been stolen from the house on buy and sell. He rang the guy and arranged to meet him to see items. He rang the Gardai and he got a great reaction from them. They took all the details and told him they'd get back to him when they'd done the follow up with the guy. He never heard a thing back. He rang the Garda he'd been dealing with, a few times, but they basically did nothing. So, their reaction doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Tawny wrote: »
    I know its crazy. When my bro realised the dog was gone he said he was worried it might have been stolen, as it is very unlikely the dog wriggled out of the back yard on his own. I kept saying 'no noone would steal a dog, someone will find it and give you a call'. Never thought it was actually a possibility.

The dognapper has my brothers mobile number, and the caller had his number witheld. We were saying maybe the gards could trace the call or something but I guess not.

I'd imagine they can trace the number. As far as I know the details get with held to the phone but the network records the number. Tell your brother to go back to them and insist they take this more seriously.

Tawny wrote: »

They can't really trace it no, even contacting the mobile provider it's not easy to do, there has to be really specific reasons to get a blocked number.

I would go down to the Gardai Station and speak to the highest person there at the time, insist they take this seriously and see what they say then.
    I would also ring your local SPCA or ring the DSPCA and see if they have any useful information that might help you in this case. Is the dog microchipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thats awful, and the Gards response is atrocious. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens regularly over in the UK, its a good money spinner:mad:

I hope he gets his dog back, but I would keep checking all the of the pounds just incase they dump the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

Give this a go.

i hope you've gotten it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

PM Sent to OP

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    PM Sent to OP
    Thanks for the info I'll look into it.

Looks like its not that unusual... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pedigree-dognappers-leave-a-trail-of-devastation-1665717.html

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/dogs-are-being-stolen-to-order-1263082.html

If anyone sees any adverts for a pomerian on the east coast let me know. It looks a bit like this 16061.jpg

We dont have a pic my bros dog yet. He was going to take it into the vet next week to get it tagged. :(

Maybe post a thread in the Galway/dublin city forum too? Just to ask people to keep an eye out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I'm sure if your brother told the Gardai he was bringing a baseball bat with him and was going to use it, they would do something.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

The Gardai can deffo trace the call.

I used to work in a mobile operator and it was regularly done.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

That is awful the guardai can and should trace the number .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Wondering why a dog is left outside even in a "safe" garden these days?

Just is never safe anywhere now. Ours are always indoors when we are out.

Hope you go higher up with the gardai; they tend to be... lazy....

sorella wrote: »
    Wondering why a dog is left outside even in a "safe" garden these days?

Just is never safe anywhere now. Ours are always indoors when we are out.

Hope you go higher up with the gardai; they tend to be... lazy....

Technically it wasn't left outside. My bro has a small conservatory out the back and he locks the door from the conservatory into the kitchen. The dog was free to go inside or out.

To update ---> he hasn't heard anything from the dognapper. Its looking less and less likely that the dog will be returned. Gardai have been kept informed but no action taken.

Advertisement