Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road speed limits

Options
  • 17-05-2009 9:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me on how I would go about requesting a road speed limit change??

Our road is a narrow country road with lots of houses and children, but is currently down as an 80kmph!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

you would have to contact the local council
    I am sure they would be able to tell you what you have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As long as your road is classed as regional and not classed as a residential area(built up area), school zone, work in progress zone then it will not be changed.

Being a narrow country road = regional road = 80kph. It was 60mph or 102 kph so you should be glad you have 80kph.

With respect, having children is not a good enough reason to request a reduction in speed limits.

EDIT I am a former infrastructural engineer and the company I worked for was involved in every discussion with local councils regarding speed limits on the jobs we were contracting on.

It is the road which is regional, it is the decision of people to live near the road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Back in the good old days, parents would teach their kids not to play on the road.
    Now it's up to somebody else to change the roads to suit the kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A woman I know a few years back knocked down a child with down syndrome because( in an 80kph zone ) they left their gates open and he ran straight out into the road. There was no chance for avoidance.

The parents forgave the woman who was also their neighbour because it was in fact their own fault for leaving the gates open on a country road.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Most of the roads near me are far too dangerous to be classed as 80kmph which they are, there are NO safe walkways and many many blind exits.

The majority of these roads are not suitable for the speed limits put on them, not to mention the speed at which many travel at, on these roads.

IMHO, i think digging up some trenches in the road is the only way to slow most people down. One of the safest roads that I know is full of potholes, you never see a car doing over 40 there.

People should come before cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Berty wrote: »
    As long as your road is classed as regional and not classed as a residential area(built up area), school zone, work in progress zone then it will not be changed.

Being a narrow country road = regional road = 80kph. It was 60mph or 102 kph so you should be glad you have 80kph.

With respect, having children is not a good enough reason to request a reduction in speed limits.

EDIT I am a former infrastructural engineer and the company I worked for was involved in every discussion with local councils regarding speed limits on the jobs we were contracting on.

It is the road which is regional, it is the decision of people to live near the road.

I beg to differ.

I live on a Regional road (R506) and the speed limit on the road has been reduced permanently down to 60kph for approximately a 2 mile stretch from where it meets the main road in the direction of Barringtons Bridge. To the best of my knowledge, public pressure succeeded in having the speed limit changed.

The only thing I will say in relation to it is that unless the speed limit is enforced, lowering it is a waste of time. Cars pass my place every evening around 5.30 to 6.00pm and the minimum speed any of them are doing is 80kph. The gardai are on the road every now and again but not often enough for it to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ring roads seem to be the exception to this rule, but in general I find it absolutely ridiculous that the Condell road is a 60km/h zone and would consider 80 if not 100km/h to be more suitable. You can't go setting speed limits that are crap on the basis that something might exist on it in the future, zoning, I am led believe, being the reason that road is 60km/h.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ninty9er wrote: »
    Ring roads seem to be the exception to this rule, but in general I find it absolutely ridiculous that the Condell road is a 60km/h zone and would consider 80 if not 100km/h to be more suitable. You can't go setting speed limits that are crap on the basis that something might exist on it in the future, zoning, I am led believe, being the reason that road is 60km/h.

It's a 50km/h zone now, from 100 metres before the Clonmacken Roundabout all the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

ninty9er wrote: »

It should be a changable speed limit depending on the time of day, some nice big bright LED speed limit signs should be installed like the one's heading into tralee, dunno where else I've seen these LED signs.
    An File wrote: »
    It's a 50km/h zone now, from 100 metres before the Clonmacken Roundabout all the way into town.

Sometimes you'd be lucky to get up to 50km/h on any part of it, I reckon when the new channel tunnel is finished many many many many years and a whipround from now the limits on the Clonmacken road will change.

What does my head in is the two into one lane on the outward bound dock road! whose bright idea was it to create that bottleneck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Just had to say it's the "Shannon River" tunnel - 'Channel Tunnel' refers to the tunnel built under the English Channel between England and France. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Xennon wrote: »
    Most of the roads near me are far too dangerous to be classed as 80kmph which they are, there are NO safe walkways and many many blind exits.

The majority of these roads are not suitable for the speed limits put on them, not to mention the speed at which many travel at, on these roads.

IMHO, i think digging up some trenches in the road is the only way to slow most people down. One of the safest roads that I know is full of potholes, you never see a car doing over 40 there.

Let me know when you have the trench dug and where it is.
    *digs out old neckbrace out of back of wardrobe and Sunday finest for trip to Merchant's Quay* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Xennon wrote: »

The cars are driven by people. They don't decide to go fast on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

LB6 wrote: »
    Just had to say it's the "Shannon River" tunnel - 'Channel Tunnel' refers to the tunnel built under the English Channel between England and France. :pac:

*Joke - Activity characterized by good humour* look it up in a dicionary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

:):):) I got it! lol :D

Advertisement