Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

serious help needed

• 17-05-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey,

im 15 and i have decided to create speakers for my DT GCSE project. im looking to be able to plug an ipod into a speaker using the iPod's headphone jack.

i need all basic information.

also, can i simply remove earpieces for headphones and then solder to speakers? (i doubt this, i just wanted to know if i could)

PS, how much will it cost cause i dont wanna spend a lot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It would work, but would be very unimpressive as the headphone output does not have enough power to drive speakers directly, so they would be very quiet.

To drive some speakers you really need an amplifier to provide sufficient power.

Maplins do an amplifier kit: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10502&C=SO&U=strat15

Not sure if that kit is only mono, or whether it will do stereo, you could email and ask.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Beaten to the draw by cnocbui ! !

Hi, welcome to Boards and the HE forums.

In simple terms, it is necessary to connect an ipod to an amplifier of some kind and then connect the amplifier to the speakers - the signal from an ipod is not strong enough to cause sound to come from a loudspeaker on it's own.

I'm not familiar with the course you've quoted, but if you need all basic information, I'd suggest you speak to your teacher in the first place. It sounds like you need to do some research - I'd suggest that after talking to your teacher, you could do some reading in the forums on diyaudio.com.

Good luck,

Ritz.

Advertisement