Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour giving out about my dog

Options
  • 17-05-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I live with my niece who has a young dog almost two years old, he's a mongrel and sweet as pie (though he does have the colouring of a rottweiler so people often mistake him as one!). He is really good, loves kids (my two year old nephew crawls all over him) but has loads of energy and his favourite thing in the world is going out the front with my niece and all the other kids and running about.

Thing is one my neighbours called in today and asked me to keep my dog on his lead as she is terrified of dogs. she has two kids which are never out. anyway i don't let him out when certain kids are about. I know my dogs fault, he tends to jump up on new people - but i almost have that taught out of him.

I know the law is on her side but the summer is here the kids are out and all he wants to do is go outside. what can i do, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

He sounds lovely, but do you mean you just let him outside on his own to run about?
    Are you with him when hes out and supervising him? Unfortunately she prob has a point and the dog shouldnt be out running around on his own, esp around children if you arent keeping an eye on him.
    Kids can torment dogs and the dog might react if one of the childrent were to annoy him.
    There are some people that have a fear of dogs and its not fair to have your dog running around outside and not under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fionn23

I always keep an eye (spend most of my evenings standing at the sitting room window or standing at the front door! and my niece is out there too. he is just running about using up energy. The kids all love him, just this one woman. I guess i know the anwser already. just means he is locked up more.

anyway posted a pic - deffo no rottweiler in him, just the colouring. i know both parents and they are both mongrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh hes lovely, but its not really safe to have him running around outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭FabulousGirl

If you're worried about your dog not getting enough exercise then you need to take him for longer walks. Letting him run around loose on the road is completely irresponsible imo.
    If your dog jumped up on a child and scraped them and gave them a bad fright you could have some very angry parents on your doorstep.
    Are there cars on your road? What if your dog ran out in front of one and caused an accident or was killed?
    I trust my dog 100% but I would never leave my nieces playing with her without direct supervision. I would never forgive myself if something happened to them or my dog because of my own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Awww.....he's lovely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I agree with those above.
    Also, you don't have to lock him away, just keep him on a lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

lovely dog but agree......def should NOT be allowed to roam loose!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

aaahh soo cute!!

unfortunatly in this world there are people for one reason or another ( in my experience, usually a childhood experience or parental influnce) that makes them have an irrational fear of all dogs or just don't like them.

so that means we can't allow our our little darlings to do what we want, especially living in estates or whatever. Have him outside when your outside to supervise.

its annoying! but the only option i'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

As siad, you don't need to keep him locked up, just just have to have him on a lead or a rope. We often bring our dog out onto the green near us & keep her on a long rope though, recently got a 7mtr retractable lead & use that now. She can get a good run about but we can control her (which is both for her safty & others).

There is also an enclosed tennis court near us & I sometimes bring her there (when it's not being used) so she can chase balls & have a really good run

Advertisement