Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luigi's

• 17-05-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

What's the big folklore about this place, seriously? I went in their after coming off the train last week for a fish and chips. The chips were horrible and soggy and the fish wasn't even up to the bog standard of donegal catch. It was processed food at its worst.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I often go over there for chips for the kids late at night.
    When Luigi's is packed I go to Rio's up the road.
    Rio's is always empty.
    I can't figure it out. Why queque for chips in one place when you can get the same chips at the same price up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Luigis arrived on the scene possibly in the late 70's(open to correction) and pushed the competition out which was a chipper/greasy spoon.

Rio's is trying to do the same. More or less the exact words the owner of Rio's said to me.

Best of luck. On that side of the city Luigi's is an institution. Im not bothered by it to be honest. I could take it or leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Scabby portions usually too.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Scabby portions usually too.

Try Rio's. He has pictures up offering meal deals with a picture of a contour of coca cola but they NOW only give you a can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Donkey Fordes' Rocked,
    But the Golden Grill always I think had the best chips.
    O'Connell Grill a nd Luigi's always came last place for my tastes,

All the memories as a kid of been taken by the Grandmother into town on a Saturday
    morning getting your food at the chipper and getting treated to a visit to a
    pound shop :)

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I never saw the hype about Luigi's to be honest. Everyone used to rave about them, but to be honest, I wouldn't give their food to the dog.

Fusco's in Garryowen is probably the best in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Aidric wrote: »
    What's the big folklore about this place, seriously? I went in their after coming off the train last week for a fish and chips. The chips were horrible and soggy and the fish wasn't even up to the bog standard of donegal catch. It was processed food at its worst.

very careful with talk like that. people have been killed here for less. No place in the world for that sort of blasphamy

Baldie wrote: »
    Fusco's in Garryowen is probably the best in town.

Is that mystery of a woman still taking the orders, the one who can remember up to 20 orders in her head and deliver them to the counter and to the right person every time.

I would barely remember one order at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Rios on parnell street have nicer chips than luigis and bigger portions ill never go to luigis again the tight git!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

What about Enzo's on William Street?
    Lovely grub at a good price and big portions!!
    Im getting hungry now reading this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Cafe Lazio's down by the watergate flats deserves a mention, as does The Yellow Road on Edward St. What about Fast Eddies cart of death? Enzo's tried to poison me once. By far the best greasy spoon in town has to be Harry's Coffee Shop where the old Dunnes Stores used to be. A friend of mine was eating his breakfast there one day and vomited his bacon and chips back up onto the plate while he was eating. What more needs to be said??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A friend of mine was eating his breakfast there one day and vomited his bacon and chips back up onto the plate while he was eating. What more needs to be said??
    Did he finish it?

Aidric wrote: »
    Did he finish it?

Yeah the tight b*st*rd. Wouldn't pay for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Berty wrote: »
    Luigis arrived on the scene possibly in the late 70's(open to correction) and pushed the competition out which was a chipper/greasy spoon.

Rio's is trying to do the same. More or less the exact words the owner of Rio's said to me.

Best of luck. On that side of the city Luigi's is an institution. Im not bothered by it to be honest. I could take it or leave it.
    Origanally called Parnell grill owned by Filippo Orlandi(ex Cafe Lazio R.I.P) then sold to his cousin Luigi they had plied there trade in the Cafe Capri in the 60's and brought that solid standard to Parnell st.
    Wow history in the form of chippers, only in Limerick:rolleyes:
    Cafe Lazio's down by the watergate flats deserves a mention, as does The Yellow Road on Edward St. What about Fast Eddies cart of death? Enzo's tried to poison me once. By far the best greasy spoon in town has to be Harry's Coffee Shop where the old Dunnes Stores used to be. A friend of mine was eating his breakfast there one day and vomited his bacon and chips back up onto the plate while he was eating. What more needs to be said??
    Cafe Lazio gone downhill since change of ownership a year ago imo.
    Fast Eddies burgers and steak sandwiches are perfect 2a.m. food.
    Enzo's, Fusco's and The Yellow Road= meh.
    Donkey Fords will never die, and slattery's is quite tastey.
    Also the best kebab in town is clearly Kebabish.

You'd never guess I like my grub:o

aya14 wrote: »
    Origanally called Parnell grill owned by Filippo Orlandi(ex Cafe Lazio R.I.P) then sold to his cousin Luigi they had plied there trade in the Cafe Capri in the 60's and brought that solid standard to Parnell st.
    Wow history in the form of chippers, only in Limerick:rolleyes:

Cafe Lazio gone downhill since change of ownership a year ago imo.
    Fast Eddies burgers and steak sandwiches are perfect 2a.m. food.
    Enzo's, Fusco's and The Yellow Road= meh.
    Donkey Fords will never die, and slattery's is quite tastey.
    Also the best kebab in town is clearly Kebabish.

You'd never guess I like my grub:o

Slatterys are terrible grub burgers as dry as a bone and the bun was stale last time i went there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Slatterys are one of the good chippers, close by me too.

Enzo's wins it hands down!! Luigi's never got why it was so good either.

There is nothing better than seeing a bunch of yanks trying to work their way through the menu in Enzo's

"Excuse me miss, is everything on the menu fried or deep fried?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Slatterys are one of the good chippers, close by me too.

I have to disagree with you there, Slattery's is utter tripe!! I got it twice, (everyone deserves a second chance), and it was rubbish. the burgers were dry and the curry chip was manky!!

I see someone mentioned the Yellow Road. My sister, brother and mother-in-law, all got sick from after having food from there, on two seperate occasions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

+1

for Enzos:D

I got sick from Rio's one Saturday night and I was going to ring the owner on the Monday morning but he rang me............................. go figure :rolleyes: to order a piece of equipment worth €4500.

I did not mention the upset stomach I had over the weekend. :D

• Advertisement

I got sick from Rio's one Saturday night and I was going to ring the owner on the Monday morning but he rang me............................. go figure :rolleyes: to order a piece of equipment worth €4500.

I did not mention the upset stomach I had over the weekend. :D
    Its always the food and never the drinks fault:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

thanks, was eating hehe

jesusofnaz wrote: »
    thanks, was eating hehe

Are you really Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

ets face it rio's isnt up t luigi's standard... luigi's is just better all round! ill give it that the rio's in ctroy is decent but the one tryin(and failing) t take business of luigi's is not good.. luigis is an institution, was enjoyed regulaly be the late richard harris(r.i.p) and around the time of his funeral russel crowe was there.. i was in ordering a chip when in he strolled in sayin richard harris said if he was ever in limerick that luigi's was a must!!!!... infarness tho crowe wasnt exactly a nice guy, a man of little word, and not even a autograph for me.... and also i remember when munster were bringing the heiniken cup round limerick t all the pub's luigi's was the only chipper they stopped into.. i could be wrong tho... but axel and luigi's photo were all over the leader wit the cup..

so ya luigi's is a landmark!!!

BEST CHIPS IN TOWN BY A COUNTRY MILE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

chipchop wrote: »
    <snip>
    Lol. First post praise overload. Hi Luigi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Donkey Fordes ftw.......oh ****in hell I'd love it right now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

nah afraid not, im a regular customer tho wouldnt have it any other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

chipshop - you created an account called chipshop to praise a ... er... chipshop called Luigis.... what did you think would happen? :)

chipchop wrote: »
    nah afraid not, im a regular customer tho wouldnt have it any other way
    Mr E wrote: »
    chipshop - you created an account called chipshop to praise a ... er... chipshop called Luigis.... what did you think would happen? :)

The same thing happened to me.

I was banned from the Snack Food Forum because I kept talking about Bertie Bassett liquorice allsorts. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

The same thing happened to me.

I was banned from the Snack Food Forum because I kept talking about Bertie Bassett liquorice allsorts. :mad:

And here's me thinking you were a fan of a certain Drumcondra politician....:D

Advertisement