Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's using my Wifi?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭

Lets get a sticky going: every router will vary, but there are ways to tell if your router is being borrowed by your neighbours. Someone else please follow up about how to do this with an eircom router because I dont have one - then I'll add that info to this OP.

To begin with I'll point out how to do this on the WRT54G, a very common Linksys router. By viewing the DHCP clients table, you can quickly see which devices are connected to your router. Anything you can't identify, is a leech/neighbour.

For this router, you will need to go to http://192.168.1.1 and log in. From the Status tab look for the Sub-Tab "Local Network" And then click on the Clients Table. This will popup showing you everything connected to your router.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80170&stc=1&d=1242597586
    attachment.php?attachmentid=80171&stc=1&d=1242597591

You can also simply bookmark http://192.168.1.1/DHCPTable.htm

This actually took me ages to find :p and trying to google for help, I found that most people never figure it out, and instead to go extremes, installing 3rd party firmware and all that jazz - just to get this feature, which they couldnt find.

To help you identify your own computers, be sure to name them. You can do this from Control Panel > System, in Windows. After that anything you don't recognize will quickly indicate to you your security has been leaked and that you need to change your password/beef up your security. Never use a WEP password: WPA or better.

Here I have My Desktop, VIRTUE, and NADLEEH my laptop. Virtue is counted twice because its both connected to the router by an Ethernet Cable and a Wireless Card. Is there any benefit?? Probably not! But the Wireless card came first and Im too lazy to uninstall it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Belkin N Wireless Router.
    Accessed through 192.128.2.1
    It has a light on the router which lights up when wireless is being used, but also the list can be seen in "DHCP Client List".
    80173.jpg

*edit*
    I have a wired PC and for the purposes of this exercise, connected a laptop and a mobile phone wirelessly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Overheal wrote: »
    Lets get a sticky going: every router will vary, but there are ways to tell if your router is being borrowed by your neighbours. Someone else please follow up about how to do this with an eircom router because I dont have one - then I'll add that info to this OP.

Here I have My Desktop, VIRTUE, and NADLEEH my laptop. Virtue is counted twice because its both connected to the router by an Ethernet Cable and a Wireless Card. Is there any benefit?? Probably not! But the Wireless card came first and Im too lazy to uninstall it.

Why not just turn the wireless off on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its on the desktop :p and I rarely use it. Its the family PC. Rarely use it despite having a beefy HD 4870 in it. Not hurting anything to leave it on anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I would suggest also people look at filtering whats allowed to connect to the wireless by MAC addressing, always a good way to stop unwanted guests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Accessed through 192.128.1.254 (mines different in this pic as I changed it to suit my existing lan), click expert mode, agree by clicking "yes", click Statistics, then click Lan.

NetopiaRouter-MozillaFirefox-1.jpg

The currently connected devices or active leases will be listed under Devices on LAN. The Netopia only gives mac addresses, no hostnames. To find out a pc's mac address ipconfig /all from a Command Prompt window:

(click Start, then Run, then type cmd in the text box.)
    Type in ipconfig /all in the Command Prompt Windows.
    The 12-digit Physical Address is the same as MAC address

ipconfig-all-screen.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

nice just tryed it on netopia router, it shows the name of the pc hard wired into it

mp22 wrote: »
    nice just tryed it on netopia router, it shows the name of the pc hard wired into it

Ok, so its only me then, mine is a linux server, hostname is set but doesn't show for some fcuked up reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, so its only me then, mine is a linux server, hostname is set but doesn't show for some fcuked up reason
    Static IP on the server? DHCP list won't show anything but assigned DHCP leases, which as static-ip connected NIC won't use.

snappieT wrote: »
    Static IP on the server? DHCP list won't show anything but assigned DHCP leases, which as static-ip connected NIC won't use.

Its DHCP but its static DHCP, I've the Netopia set to give it the same ip each time, cant' rem why i did it this way, there was a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If your router shows its arp table, it'll show who is actually using it. The DHCP table only shows who got an IP address, which while indicitive, is not 100% reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

PogMoThoin wrote: »

PogMoThoin , telnet into the router , and have a look around .

Type " magic " and it will show more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Igor Biscan

I have an Eircom router.

Type in the 192.168.1.1 thingy.

Click on Statistics

Click on LAN

Under DEVICES ON LAN you will see what IP's are connected.

I have a laptop and PS3 connected at the moment and both are showing up on it so assume it will also show my 'neighhours'

Advertisement