Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up the Viola

Options
  • 17-05-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if you guys could help me out. :) I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the Instruments forum, I thought I might get a better response here given the nature of the enquiry.
    I've been playing the violin for 10 years more or less, going for my Grade 8 this year after a gap of one year as I'm doing my LC atm. My teacher said it to me last week that I should seriously consider taking up the viola as my playing style and bowing technique would be well suited to it. I think the viola is a beautiful instrument and was encouraged by the suggestion. She also said I could also easily teach myself, there would be no need for lessons(it'd be really difficult to find a teacher anyway I'd say).
    I'm more than likely going to be an unemployed student this coming year(going for Arts with Music in UCC for anyone who's interested) so funds for a new instrument may be pretty limited. As a result I might have to put the whole idea on hold for a while. I'm not too phased by this as I can use the time to do some research. I would consider making the viola my primary instrument if things worked out.
    Are there any viola players here with any words of advice? How much should I spend on a decent instrument? Where would be the best place to get one(I'm located in Cork)?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

Once you get yourself an instrument...

You will of course need to get used to reading the C clef.

Suggest chamber music. Can you recruit friends willing to play through (say) Haydn quartets with you?

Once you have got some basic familiarity with the clef, why not enquire about playing viola in an orchestra? If you don't already play with one, and are not yet familiar enough with the viola, you might join as a violinist and then swap over to the viola.

If you get playing enough chamber and/or orchestral music you should soon get accustomed to the clef.

And many people are happy to play both violin and viola, swapping around as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

If its money is the problem . .
    http://www.gear4music.com
    Very cheap everything . .

Advertisement